Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Cross posting from the other thread. I am in love with the Q + 35mm Ltd Macro combo. It gives a pretty usable reach but also gives stunning macro results. All these are taken in RAW with a bit of WB and color adjustment in post, nothing too major. No special equipment, just the good 'le Q + Fotodiox adapter + 35mm. The aperture ring on the adapter is 3 or 4 clicks in.

I found focus peaking to be useless for me. The 4x focus assist is so much easier and reliable to use. Glad Pentax gave me that choice!

Thanks ruggiex for commenting on the 35mm Ltd macro...it's a winning pairing.
I just recently became a Q owner, and really the main reason for buying the Q was it's macro possibilities. Must say that the wide-angle macros are a pleasant surprise...The first macro lens I attached to my new Q was a 28mm auto sears macro with very good results. A joy to shoot this little Q.

01-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Holy mary mother of tacos, I was cleaning out my closet the other day, and came across a Spiritone Bellows for Olympus OM. I picked it up at a garage sale years ago -- it had never been used, was still new in the box. I figured I'd ebay it, but it ended up not being worth anything, so I didn't. Well, I found it, and ordered an OM adapter from Amazon. I was home for lunch, so I didn't get a lot of time to test (especially as I had to disassemble the fotodiox adapter and adjust the springs, so that it wasn't such a loose fit).

I tested briefly. I have the 75mm f3.5 flat field lens on the bellows (the only one it came with), and I must say, photos are EXTREMELY sharp, without even a hint of CA or purple/green OOF areas. At least, from the brief, didn't-have-time-to-mount-a-tripod handheld shots I made. I can't focus to infinity with this one obviously, so I'll have to use a different target this time. Will post after work!

Charles.
01-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #198
Veteran Member

Zuiko 200mm F4

Hi some handheld shots with 200mm Zuiko..ISO 800,S 360,F5.6 not so clear and some weird vertical line distortion on the silo? any ideas
Attached Images

01-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #199
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Hi some handheld shots with 200mm Zuiko..ISO 800,S 360,F5.6 not so clear and some weird vertical line distortion on the silo? any ideas
Is it with a third party adapter? The Q uses an electronic shutter when the mounted lens lacks a leaf shutter on its own. One of the problems with the electronic shutter is that the lack of a physical shutter show the fact that the whole sensor isn't read at the same time, creating a jello-effect. The same effect can be seen when filming with a DSLR or standard mirrorless camera as there is no physical shutter to darken the sensor for each frame creating problems with movement in the video.

01-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #200
Veteran Member

Hi there. Congrats on the Q & the nice Olympus lens! A lot of the Olympus glass is fantastic.

As VisualDarkness mentioned, the distortion on the lines is the "jello effect". The way to combat that is by sing a tripod. I'm surprised it turned out as good as it did, since you effectively had a 1120mm lens on your camera with a 1/320 shutter speed. That's pretty remarkable for a handheld shot at that speed, actually.

Cheers,
Bob :-)
01-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Hi there. Congrats on the Q & the nice Olympus lens! A lot of the Olympus glass is fantastic.

As VisualDarkness mentioned, the distortion on the lines is the "jello effect". The way to combat that is by sing a tripod. I'm surprised it turned out as good as it did, since you effectively had a 1120mm lens on your camera with a 1/320 shutter speed. That's pretty remarkable for a handheld shot at that speed, actually.

Cheers,
Bob :-)
Hi yes it was just to see how good handheld can be,also with a bit of wind. the adapter is from ebay/China,and the inside is black but still a bit shiny-so I must give it some matt paint or gaffa tape.
Ok now I know why the jello effect..was going to tell my neighbor he should talk to the guys who made his silo
will do more tests w/ tripod as I know this lens is good on my Oly DSLR
01-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #202
Veteran Member

I know this lens is good on my Oly DSLR
I'm sure it is! Olympus made some of the best glass I've ever owned. Keep in mind though, that some lenses that totally rock on a DSLR aren't so hot on the Q. It's just a trial & error kinda thing.

01-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Canon FL 200mm F3.5.

FL mount is an earlier version of the manual focus FD mount. This lens is heavy. It weighs more than the Pentax DA55-300 zoom and has no tripod socket. Had to hang the lens off the RJ tripod foot. Unfortunately I had not modified this adapter yet. It was a little scary on that small unmodified foot.

All shots on tripod shooting thru window glass. All ISO 125. Shot in Raw, converted in Silkypix and increased contrast 1 step extra. Levels, resizing, and standard sharpening in PSE11. No attempt to correct fringing.

1. Black & white bird, F3.5. Not very sharp and color fringing galore. The adapter was not painted or felted internally. Think the lens is single coated not multi. Not sure since the lens is on loan to someone else at the moment. Couldn't live with this quality.

2. Female Cardinal, F4. Sharper and less fringing. Adapter not blackened internally. Processed as above. Better quality but fringing still problematical for me.

3. Male Cardinal, F5.6. Sharper yet with a lot less fringing. Still fringing in out of focus background. Quality is getting there. Adapter not blackened internally.

4. Male cardinal, F5.6 with felted adapter interior. Not bad. Contrast improves. Could use this with a little work on fringe* reduction in post. Not bad for an inexpensive used lens! Friend is enjoying this setup on his new Q. He is getting shots that his Canikon APS-c buddy can't with an 800mm mirror. I just grin. Too much fun to see Canikon people beat out by a tiny Q.

Thanks
barondla

* Miss this great show already. Thank you Fox for at least finishing it properly.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
01-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #204
Veteran Member

Oly 200F4 cont.

some more semi handheld(small tripod on my chest)
swans 1 400sec,ISO1250,F5.6
swans 2 1250sec,ISO 1250,F5.6 alot of CA in this one? same distance & F stop any ideas why?
Red 1 1000sec,ISO1250,F5,6
Red2 1600sec,ISO1250,F5.6
pic of setup
must get some kind of wrist strap to balance better,seems hard to handhold as lens is quite heavy& balance not so good
Attached Images

01-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #205
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

my first q test with adapted lens

ok i am a newbie to the q...just got my pentax q-k adapter but since i don't get home before it gets dark i am frustrated...i am not a peeping jane but i needed to use my neighbor just to see what the q could do...keep in mind this is at night so not real quality pictures but i thought it was pretty cool...all of which you all already know but what the heck..i didn't touch the pictures...everything is as it came out with maybe some brightness adjustments

this is da 300mm with focus on the mirror

Name:  IMGB7843.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  60.7 KB

this is da 200 on pentax q qith pentax q-k adapter

Name:  IMGP9084.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  57.5 KB

this is da 300 on pentax q qith pentax q-k adapter

Name:  IMGP9076.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  100.2 KB

this is da 300 with pentax 1.7x adapter on pentax q qith pentax q-k adapter

Name:  IMGP9086.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  188.5 KB
01-31-2013, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #206
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That just serves to reinforce that the DA*300 is THE LENS on the Q. Image 3 is fantastic considering the conditions.
01-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #207
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

sandy i have to agree with you but plan to try the 200 also because some times the 300 may be too much.. hope the weather is decent this weekend
01-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #208
Veteran Member

Great shots Amy considering it is dark outside!

I agree that 300mm on the Q might be too much for me also - have to wait until nice weather to test for sure. 300mm for me to reach that freakin' Qingfinsher will be just right, but for ducks in the middle of the river closer to me, I think I am going to need a little less. A little less will also make it a bit easier to get the subject into the viewfinder and follow moving subjects. I was thinking a nice 135mm prime might be just the ticket, or like you say, your DA*200 might work very well. I haven't tried my 60-250 on the Q yet - I'm hoping I can get the same IQ with that as I do with the FA*300 then I will be golden!
01-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #209
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

stan i am hoping i can get some attempts at the heron rookery this weekend and will see what i can get with the 200 and 300...although i want to check out the 500 it is so long i can't imagine being able to see anything to take a picture...once i have some skill base i will check it out...i did really like this little exercise because it allowed me to get a feel for the range to expect when using different lens...here's to weekends when there is playtime...i also have the 60-250 but want to try the primes before i hit it with anything else
01-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looking good Amy. Like Jimmy Stewart in Rear Window.
When I need a more casual reach I use my Sigma 70-200 so I expect having the great lenses you do should be lots of fun.