Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #646
Veteran Member

Nice pics. I haven't tried any long distance shots with my Q yet. I just received my loupe a few days ago.

03-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #647
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Nice pics. I haven't tried any long distance shots with my Q yet. I just received my loupe a few days ago.
Thanks, when you adapt lenses the aperture is a balance between defraction and depth of field, check the postings in this thread for the best aperture to use, for most lenses its about f5.6 to f8
03-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #648
Veteran Member

I usually keep my adapted lenses at f/8, unless I'm looking for more DOF
03-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #649
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Q7 and the Pentax OEM adapter with SMC-F 80-200 lens. Lens stopped down to F8 shot at ISO 100 First a Limpkin then a small Blue Heron in mating plumage in a small canal. Shots processed in LR 5. I got about 25% keepers using peaking and a LCD eyepiece hood The lens is available on Ebay, got mine for $20 and it is quite sharp on the Q and Q7 All shots bwtween 80 and 200mm (940mm) hand held This lens lives on my adapter
Great shots - and with a Zoom yet! Think I'll get a couple of my old ones off the shelf and try again - at F8

Makes me think we could use a companion thread to this one: "How I shoot adapted lenses on Q differently (and process differently) than for APS-C" (Unless I missed one already started?)

03-09-2014, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #650
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cahudson42 Quote
Great shots - and with a Zoom yet! Think I'll get a couple of my old ones off the shelf and try again - at F8

Makes me think we could use a companion thread to this one: "How I shoot adapted lenses on Q differently (and process differently) than for APS-C" (Unless I missed one already started?)
That was one of the results we hoped for from this thread, most of the lenses listed in this thread will state the best aperture for that lens. Go to the first post on this thread for a list of lenses tested.

From what I can see on most of the threads I have followed,

* Use an LCD eye piece hood Amazon.com: Century Accessory V5 3" 4:3 LCD 2.8x Viewfinder Magnifier Extender Hood EyeCup Compatible for Nikon 1 J1 DSLR Camera: Electronics
* Shoot between f5.6 and f8 (smaller than f4 causes diffraction on a Q) but some lenses still look better at smaller than f4 apertures f8 is max
* The Q is very demanding on lenses so it needs to be a very sharp lens
* The best long lens I have seen people use is the DA* 300 f4, Many also use the SMC-M 135 f3.5, and the DA 55-300 is also popular
* Some people find that using a slightly shorter SR value also helps like 105 for a 135
* Use a tripod
* If the subject or camera is moving the OEM Pentax adapter will provide a sharper image

This should get you started
03-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #651
Veteran Member

Minolta MC Tele Rokkor-HF 30cm 1:4.5. I got this 40+ year old lens for my Sony NEX last year, and it is in mint condition. I tried using it to get some bird pics, but being my first time out with it on the Q, I had a tough time zeroing in with the narrow FOV.

03-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #652
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Tony those look like a good start.
Try different f stops to see which yields bets results.
Also, I find the Q tends to over expose with adapted lenses if left on its own, if you are already shooting in manual mode, suggest you under expose by -1 and see if things improve.
The Q is brutal on lenses, especially older ones without coatings. A little purple fringe that would not be an issue on another camera will look very exaggerated with the Q.
03-10-2014, 01:28 AM   #653
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

Vivitar m42 300mm 1:5.5 "Auto Telephoto"

Thought I would put this one in now as Tony has just done the Minolta 300mm above. Thinking that the lens would be of a similar age. Someone out there may know better.
I think this lens is doing great for it's age.
Yes this lens certainly has ca just like Tony's one but then so does the Q 01 prime lens.( Check out the lemon tree for fancy green CA!!) It is more about controlling (or accepting) it.
I just HAD to use a tripod with this beastie and my cheapy one certainly wobbled with it!!
I stopped down to f22 for the sunset (had to get the shutter speed down enough) but other wise images were wide open or f8.
Saved as jpegs and pped in gimp.
I cut and pasted a section of the native jpeg in the moon photo and it can be seen that the shot was very similar to Tony's.
I think it is important to identify that post processing is a necessity with these adaptions.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
03-10-2014, 01:57 AM   #654
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
That was one of the results we hoped for from this thread, most of the lenses listed in this thread will state the best aperture for that lens. Go to the first post on this thread for a list of lenses tested.

From what I can see on most of the threads I have followed,

* Use an LCD eye piece hood Amazon.com: Century Accessory V5 3" 4:3 LCD 2.8x Viewfinder Magnifier Extender Hood EyeCup Compatible for Nikon 1 J1 DSLR Camera: Electronics
* Shoot between f5.6 and f8 (smaller than f4 causes diffraction on a Q) but some lenses still look better at smaller than f4 apertures f8 is max
* The Q is very demanding on lenses so it needs to be a very sharp lens
* The best long lens I have seen people use is the DA* 300 f4, Many also use the SMC-M 135 f3.5, and the DA 55-300 is also popular
* Some people find that using a slightly shorter SR value also helps like 105 for a 135
* Use a tripod
* If the subject or camera is moving the OEM Pentax adapter will provide a sharper image

This should get you started
Those magnetic LCD viewfinder eyepieces drive me crazy. You brush the camera against yourself and the eyepiece falls on the ground--- a hundred times a day
I have settled for this one. The base has to be set right back so as to not interfere with the adapter and this means the eye piece is 8-10mm from the screen. But this is great coz the 4 way button becomes much more accessable and also the focus better suits me as I need reading glasses.
I hold the pistol grip with my right hand and my left hand lays across the top to activate the shutter. It is a great setup.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
03-10-2014, 05:27 AM   #655
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Tony those look like a good start.
Try different f stops to see which yields bets results.
Also, I find the Q tends to over expose with adapted lenses if left on its own, if you are already shooting in manual mode, suggest you under expose by -1 and see if things improve.
The Q is brutal on lenses, especially older ones without coatings. A little purple fringe that would not be an issue on another camera will look very exaggerated with the Q.
Thanks for the tips, Larry. I've been able to capture many excellent images with the big Rokkor on the NEX-5R; PF was never an issue. I'm not sure how much I'll use it on the Q, but I'll keep in mind your advice. I have other Minolta lenses that I hope will be more suitable for use on the Q. By the way, the Moon shot was taken about 6:00 pm on a bright sunny evening, hence the cobalt blue background.
03-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #656
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Those magnetic LCD viewfinder eyepieces drive me crazy. You brush the camera against yourself and the eyepiece falls on the ground--- a hundred times a day
I have settled for this one. The base has to be set right back so as to not interfere with the adapter and this means the eye piece is 8-10mm from the screen. But this is great coz the 4 way button becomes much more accessable and also the focus better suits me as I need reading glasses.
I hold the pistol grip with my right hand and my left hand lays across the top to activate the shutter. It is a great setup.
Functional little setup there Gub
now all you need is a trigger on the pistol grip la the fotosnaiper ...maybe selotape a remote release on there or someit
03-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #657
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Functional little setup there Gub
now all you need is a trigger on the pistol grip la the fotosnaiper ...maybe selotape a remote release on there or someit
Yes I am thinking of custom building a cable release trigger on the pistol grip so I can fire the shot with SR on.
03-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #658
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I use a rubber band retainer system based on the Hoodman Cinema Strap, costs just pennies to make.
Cinema Strap-Hoodman Corporation
03-11-2014, 04:17 AM   #659
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Minolta MC Tele Rokkor-HF 30cm 1:4.5. I had a tough time zeroing in with the narrow FOV.
Nice start and setup. Add a red dot sight and your narrow fov aiming woes will be history. Couldn't live without mine. Love the Pentax RD10 and X-tenda sight adapter.
thanks
barondla
03-11-2014, 05:31 AM   #660
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Nice start and setup. Add a red dot sight and your narrow fov aiming woes will be history. Couldn't live without mine. Love the Pentax RD10 and X-tenda sight adapter.
thanks
barondla
Thanks. I'll look into a red dot.