Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone should point this particular thread out to the new head honcho at Pentax US, it's an amazing reference and shows how creatively the Q can be used by dedicated Pentaxians. It really is one of the most versatile little cameras I can ever recall even hearing about with an adapter for nearly every lens mount you can think of and some outstanding performance.

01-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tair 3M-5CA 500mm f:8 mirror lens

Tair 3M-5CA 500mm f:8 mirror lens on the Q. (2800mm equivalent on the Q)

NOTES:

Tripod mounted with Fotodiox adapter with aperture ring.
Camera triggered via 12 second self timer.
Taken at f:8 / ISO 125. (Since this is a fixed f:8 aperture lens)
Focus peaking enabled
Focused wide open for best focusing accuracy.
No post processing, JPGs straight from the camera.

First, the 100% crop:

Admittedly, it looks pretty dodgy at 100%. BUT with this kind of magnification, you're not likely to be looking at the finished shot at 100%. Here's the uncropped shot at the same size:

By the way, here's a quick & dirty handheld shot with the Q 02 zoom at 9mm (50mm equivalent on the Q.):

That's a whole lotta reach!

Summary: No CA since it's a mirror lens, and reasonably lightweight, especially for a 2800mm equivalent lens. This one will get occasional use probably for a moonshot or something similar.

OK - That's it for now! :-)

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 01-08-2013 at 11:49 AM.
01-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
OK - That's it for now! :-)
GibbytheMole, thanks so much for your effort in testing these lenses and reporting it for others to use. I'll add these to the index right away. I look forward to your shots with your favorites.
01-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You're very welcome! I debated on whether to shoot at f:4 or f:5.6, but I read a lot of statements about f:5.6 being the general "sweet spot" for a lot of lenses on the Q, so that's what I went with. :-)

01-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Someone should point this particular thread out to the new head honcho at Pentax US, it's an amazing reference and shows how creatively the Q can be used by dedicated Pentaxians. It really is one of the most versatile little cameras I can ever recall even hearing about with an adapter for nearly every lens mount you can think of and some outstanding performance.
They know about the Q with adapted lenses but doesn't really seem interested in promoting it. This is from my post on their Facebook page:
QuoteQuote:
Andreas SundellPENTAX
den 2 januari kl. 12:30 ˇ
The Q with an adapter makes for great nature videos! Taken through a glass window with a Pentax DA* 300mm F4.
Bird feeder with Pentax Q and Pentax DA* 300mm F4 - YouTube

Bird feeder with Pentax Q and Pentax DA* 300mm F4
YouTube
Pentax Q with an adapted (KIWI Q-K) Pentax DA* 300mm F4
Gilla ˇ ˇ Dela
3 personer gillar detta.

Andreas Sundell I wonder why Pentax doesn't promote this more?
den 2 januari kl. 23:27 ˇ Gilla

PENTAX We think its lovely!
den 2 januari kl. 23:48 ˇ Gilla

Andreas Sundell It gives the ability to take supertele videos and (a bit more difficult) nature shots at a fraction of what DSLR and camcorder equipment would cost.
den 2 januari kl. 23:53 ˇ Gilla
01-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pentax did a little bit of promotion with the 560 release parties where they showed the Q and adapter hanging off the back end of the 560 but that was about it.

On another note, our thread is now a Sticky
01-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #82

Ricoh Rikenon XR 50mm f2

Hi,
Not bad. This lens performs very well at 5D2. f5,6 was worse than f8.
1st: ISO125 @f8. Tripod. No OS, 2-sec timer.
2nd: 100% crop of it.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo   
01-09-2013, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
On another note, our thread is now a Sticky
I feel a big thank you is in order to crewl1 for his time and effort organizing this reference thread - without this there would be no easy way to compare any of our long lenses on the Q.
01-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #84

Meyer-Görlitz Orestor 135mm f2,8 "Bokeh Monster"

Old timer with creamy bokeh. It's little soft @ f2,8.

1st: ISO125 @2,8. Tripod(which broke, but sturdy. Sorry about horizon ). Timer, no OS.
2nd: 100% crop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo   
01-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I feel a big thank you is in order to crewl1 for his time and effort organizing this reference thread - without this there would be no easy way to compare any of our long lenses on the Q.
Hear, hear! The system keeps stopping me from giving him more +'s though
01-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #86
Forum Member

I'll second that stormtech.
Thank's for the effort crewI1.

Best Regards
Ted Hinsch
01-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #87

I couldn't agree more, and also thanks to everybody that is contributing to these 2 threads The Q is my new favourite photo accessory (super teleconverter), a Birders Dream come true Thanks to this thread in particular I noticed its potential.
01-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll add my thanks as well, even though my Q has not arrived yet.
Seeing what this little wonder can do is amazing!
Credit where it's due too for contributing members posting trials and errors.
01-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Tair 3M-5CA 500mm f:8 mirror lens on the Q. (2800mm equivalent on the Q)

Admittedly, it looks pretty dodgy at 100%. BUT with this kind of magnification, you're not likely to be looking at the finished shot at 100%. Here's the uncropped shot at the same size:

That's a whole lotta reach!
Hi GibbyTheMole,

This is very cool.

My first impression when looking at the full frame shot is that the lens is pretty sharp, but there's camera shake going on here. Not a lot, or we'd see more evidence of double or multiple edges in one or more directions -- just enough to make the image look, as you said "dodgy". Maybe you might be able to see it looking at the brand name stamps or on the rusty, non reflective screw head grooves at high magnification on the originals.

The same thing happened when I tried my Tamron SP 500 f8 Cat on the Q, tripod mounted, using delayed release. The tripod looked stable, everything looked fine, but the images left something to be desired. Personally, I think we need to experiment with lenses this long and maybe we'll find some secret to getting them to work. It's not a high priority for me, but I have some ideas -- heavier tripod, maybe add even more weight -- use SR with the tripod -- but not at 500mm, try everything between 10 and 999mm and see if there's a setting that might counteract the apparent resonance in the particular tripod. I think it's worth the effort. A 500 mirror could potentially be great with the Q, as the lens is very light and compact for such long glass, and as you say CA/PF should not even be a factor (though on some designs it might), and the results could be spectacular at over 2700mm EQ.

Do you have a hood for your Tair? My Tamron has one that's about 2.5 " deep -- it helps give the lens more contrast, which is often a criticism with mirrors. If not, you could fashion one out of black construction paper -- probably the easiest lens to do this with.

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 01-09-2013 at 05:09 PM.
01-09-2013, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Olympus OM 180 f2

This lens has a 100mm front filter. The lens barrell then rapidly tapers down to about 60mm. Like all OM lenses it has an aperture ring. So there is no special mechanisms needed on the adapter. This adapter was before RJ made them. Snostorm provided the original link - I think it was camera plus? It takes two adapters to make this work. An OM-C (Japan) and Q-C (Poland from ebay). There is no tripod foot on adapter.

Turtle Dove. F2 1/60 ISO 125 Raw.The lens is very sharp. Usable wide open at f2 it shows some fringing on subject and more on out of focus background. No effort was made to edit this out.

Male Cardinal (red). F2.8 1/50 ISO 125 Raw. Eliminates most of the fringing ( maybe all) on subject. Still a little in background. Great performance. Could live with this any time.

Female Cardinal (tan) F4 1/320 ISO 125. Don't see fringing any where. Sharp.

Somewhere between F2.8 - F4 this lens appears to be good competition for the Pentax DA*300. Only tele I have tested that compares to the Pentax for lack of fringing at F4. The lens is sharp!

Test procedure: All shot thru a glass window pane from indoors. Camera on Gitzo Studex tripod and Arca Swiss monoball. Setup weighs ~10lbs. Pentax red dot scope RD10. No remote used.

All images shot in Raw and converted in Silkypix using my normal sharpening. Some level adjustments made in PSE 11. Resized in one step.

Jazzed about this lens.
thanks
barondla

Test
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo