Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #841

d-mount YVAR 12.5mm f/2.5 converted to c-mount for macro and wide use including m43 camera; extreme macro and infinity focus

Sample images

Night shot

Last edited by rendition; 08-20-2014 at 01:37 PM.
08-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #842

How many lenses?

Hi Rendition, I'm just curious about how many lenses you have that can be mounted on the Q? Including all the ones you have converted and adapted?
For example I have 19 lenses that I can use on the Q, mostly K mount and 110 lenses. How many do you have? Surely your total is much higher.

Jacob
08-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #843
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
posted elsewhere but what the heck.

I took the front element out of my 20-40 f2.8 Pentax 110 zoom lens, and it left me with a wonderful macro lens :P

Click 1
Click 2
Click 3

That's the printing of a Aussie 5 dollar note. Queen Betties hair actually.

To put this into perspective these are the pixels of my "cell" phone screen

Click for Pixels
08-22-2014, 05:44 PM   #844

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote

I took the front element out of my 20-40 f2.8 Pentax 110 zoom lens, and it left me with a wonderful macro lens :P

Click 1
Click 2
Click 3

Click for Pixels

That's too extreme of a macro, what would you use it for? And did you ruin the lens? or are you just playing around?

Jacob

08-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #845
Veteran Member

Not at all. The element unscrews easily, and can be screwed back easily.

Working distance is about an inch, handy little thing.

It's only useful for abstract work sure, and I like abstract work :P

I'm going to create an aperture for the back and see if i can get some more depth out of it.
08-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #846

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote

Click 1
Click 2
Click 3

Click for Pixels

Cool. I wonder if I could get something like that with a helicoid behind the Canon EF 100mm
08-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #847
Veteran Member

So this is a bit of fun really. again with the element removed from the 20-40 f2.8 110 lens, on the Q

Click for yellow and Click for Red

Only because it's cold here this morning! :?

08-23-2014, 03:50 AM   #848
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jacobsr Quote
That's too extreme of a macro, what would you use it for?
There's no such thing as too extreme of a macro! Not easy to work with because of diffraction, extremely low depth of field, small working distances, camera shake, and finding suitable subjects, but they're out there.
08-24-2014, 04:50 AM   #849
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax super tak 50mm 1.4 on Q

I see there is an entry for a smc tak 1.4 but the images have been removed.
Anyway this is a super tak. A nice lens to use but it is not bleeding edge sharp even at f4.(May be my one). And the contrast is back a little more than I expected in comparison to M series lens.
Images taken at f4 and pped in gimp. I have pasted a section of unedited image on the Kowhai (yellow flower buds) to show the unimproved image.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
08-25-2014, 03:01 AM   #850
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sankor 105mm f4.5 enlarging lens

Got this lens for NZ$20 on the local auction site. I was hoping it would be a valuable addition but it has turned out to be a big softie--- not a sharp bit anywhere!. And low contrast thanks to poor coatings. I have pasted a cropping of the excamera jpg on the pped image of the purple magnolia to show how much the colour curves have to be pushed for this one.
I may give the lens a good clean and have another go later in the spring just in case I havn't found this lenses forte. Maybe it is portraiture.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
08-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #851

Photos: Albums
Canon EF 70-200 f2.8 II

I know this may sound insane. But yeah, I did it.
Have heavily invested in Canon gears already, but after found the reachability of Q7 and full-frame lens combo, I was sold.

After reading some related threads in this forum and learnt a lot, I think it is my turn to share my finding and hopefully it will benefit some other members if there is any in the same boat

Both shots were taken with Q7+Canon EF 70-200 f2.8 II lens at 200 mm, from about 10 feet away (maybe more than that). Used a tripod and a remote trigger. I think I might have stopped down to F4 in one of the shot, but I might be wrong.

Adapter: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Canon EOS Lens to Pentax Q-Series Camera, fits Pentax Q Mirrorless Cameras, bought from amazon.

Modification: At first, I painted the interior of the adapter with Rust-Oleum American Accents Ultra Cover 2x, Flat Black, bought from walmart. But it seems the result was not as good as I expected, and some light reflection was still there. So I tried a second method mentioned by a member (sorry, I don't remember his/her name), which is using felt tape. I didn't get the felt tape, but got some friction tape instead, from walmart. and the result turns out to be very good, at least to me, I'm fully satisfied.

Aperture control: bought a Canon EOS 2000D from ebay for $17 with batteries (man, the camera body is cheap, but the batteries are expensive!) Not very convenient though, I can still leave with it.

Shooting experience: had been shooting in the sun for about 30 mins, then the camera was overheated and simply started showing the thermometer symbol only... My wife was joking that I should have brought an umbrella with me... Focusing on the tiny LCD screen was tough. The magnified manual focus feature helps a lot!

That's pretty much it. Thanks for looking!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
08-26-2014, 04:23 AM   #852
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kesong Quote
Canon EF 70-200 f2.8 II
Wow -- fantastic performer on the Q.
08-26-2014, 04:25 AM   #853

QuoteOriginally posted by kesong Quote
I know this may sound insane. But yeah, I did it.
Have heavily invested in Canon gears already, but after found the reachability of Q7 and full-frame lens combo, I was sold.

After reading some related threads in this forum and learnt a lot, I think it is my turn to share my finding and hopefully it will benefit some other members if there is any in the same boat

Both shots were taken with Q7+Canon EF 70-200 f2.8 II lens at 200 mm, from about 10 feet away (maybe more than that). Used a tripod and a remote trigger. I think I might have stopped down to F4 in one of the shot, but I might be wrong.

Adapter: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Canon EOS Lens to Pentax Q-Series Camera, fits Pentax Q Mirrorless Cameras, bought from amazon.

Modification: At first, I painted the interior of the adapter with Rust-Oleum American Accents Ultra Cover 2x, Flat Black, bought from walmart. But it seems the result was not as good as I expected, and some light reflection was still there. So I tried a second method mentioned by a member (sorry, I don't remember his/her name), which is using felt tape. I didn't get the felt tape, but got some friction tape instead, from walmart. and the result turns out to be very good, at least to me, I'm fully satisfied.

Aperture control: bought a Canon EOS 2000D from ebay for $17 with batteries (man, the camera body is cheap, but the batteries are expensive!) Not very convenient though, I can still leave with it.

Shooting experience: had been shooting in the sun for about 30 mins, then the camera was overheated and simply started showing the thermometer symbol only... My wife was joking that I should have brought an umbrella with me... Focusing on the tiny LCD screen was tough. The magnified manual focus feature helps a lot!

That's pretty much it. Thanks for looking!
HA! My experience has been slightly different...I happened upon a Canon 100mm 2.8 macro so I modified an iris type adapter so i could use it with the Q and control F stop. It works great, though you can't hand hold it. Out of curiousity, I got a 20d camera off ebay to try with the lens to see how the Canon world lives...and...I am REALLY liking this camera/lens combo. Not that it is any better than my K10d/FA 100mm macro combo, but it is a fun camera none the less.
08-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #854
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax S.M.C bellows tak 100mm f4. (M42)

This is that hard case lens with no focussing arrangement-- To be attached to bellows. It is also noticeable for its particularly jagged star shaped aperture maximizing about f8. This affects images quite strongly on apsc (for good or bad depending on your tastes). The star shaped highlights have not been very obvious on the Q. Most of these images are at f8. They have been pped in gimp. I have included a 100% crop of the sheep coz I am quite pleased with the detail. Took a shot of the same daffodils to match the Sankor 105mm enlarging lens above. I was surprised how similar the results were. The star shaped bokeh highlights are visible in this image.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
08-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #855

Q10/JJFinance Adapter/Samyang 7mm F8

Well, this is the first lens I have put on the Q that does not seem to work. No matter where the focus is set at, it returns a strange and fuzzy photo. Here is the best one from it...
Attached Images