Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 229 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2017, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #1081

Cosina MC Cosinon-T 135mm 1:3.5 (Aperture test on moon SOOC with Q-S1)

Hello,
Recently aquired a Cosinon-T 135mm f/3.5.

Here is my aperture test with Q-S1. The moon was shot trough triple layered window, but the difference seems clear enough for me.
Pictures were shot at ISO 100, only changing the aperture and compensating that with shutter speed. JPG's strait out of camera (M mode). No PP other than cropping and combining them to this one image.

Best aperture was f/5.6. (..followed by f/8 and then f/3.5. Above f/11 was unusable).

--------
Edit: Added a day light shot as well (totally overcast and grey day). This is a JPG from camera with minor adjustment in PP. The person in blue is about 400m away. Full image + 100% crop. I'd say it is quite usable lens for color photography

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 

Last edited by Apertority; 11-26-2017 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Addnig a day light photo as well.
11-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #1082
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Apertority Quote
Hello,

Here is my aperture test with Q-S1. The moon was shot trough triple layered window, but the difference seems clear enough for me.
Pictures were shot at ISO 100, only changing the aperture and compensating that with shutter speed. JPG's strait out of camera (M mode). No PP other than cropping and combining them to this one image.

Best aperture was f/5.6. (..followed by f/8 and then f/3.5. Above f/11 was unusable).

--------
Edit: Added a day light shot as well (totally overcast and grey day). This is a JPG from camera with minor adjustment in PP. The person in blue is about 400m away. Full image + 100% crop. I'd say it is quite usable lens for color photography
Nice examples Apertority. Appreciate the way you posted examples with different apertures and clearly marked them. Good job.
Thanks,
barondla
12-02-2017, 10:05 AM - 4 Likes   #1083

Fujinon CF2.7HA-L1 2.7mm f1.8 Fisheye.

The lens as delivered is a M7 mount (with a flange distance of under 2mm and a screw size larger than C mount) but the M7 mount will unscrew and under it is a standard C mount thread with the proper flange focal length. I think this lens is sold by Fujinon in a few different versions and mounts. I believe they are all fixed focus but some have aperture controls and some do not. This version is wide open all the time.

First shots playing around...

The FOV is *very* wide and many shots had feet in them. The uneven vignetting is a little odd (mostly left corners) but not an issue IMO. Seems plenty sharp (all are wide open as there is no aperture) and I have tweaked that slightly with a spacer.

Shawn
12-02-2017, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #1084

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
I tested today my new SMC Pentax M 100/4 Macro and it seems to be real keeper quality- wise on the Q and handholdable . All images wide open on the genuine Q, foggy weather - so better results are most probably achievable.
All images processed in RawTherapee and sharpened after web-resize. I have to test this one on 5.6 (not enough light today) also and against M 135/3.5 (I hope 100 mm might be better choice for hand-held shots even then M 135). Sorry for boring subjects, but I wanted to check for abberations. First 4 images are full frames, the last one is 100% crop.

Here are some more. All hand held and no processing.

One is regular 01 lens through a window, closer up is Pentax adapter with 100mm f4 macro through a window, coin date is same but direct, closer coin date is same a that but with 100mm extension tube.

IMGP0054 ? imgbb.com

IMGP0094 ? imgbb.com
IMGP0095 ? imgbb.com
IMGP0096 ? imgbb.com
IMGP0097 ? imgbb.com

12-05-2017, 07:37 PM   #1085
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote

The lens as delivered is a M7 mount (with a flange distance of under 2mm and a screw size larger than C mount) but the M7 mount will unscrew and under it is a standard C mount thread with the proper flange focal length. I think this lens is sold by Fujinon in a few different versions and mounts. I believe they are all fixed focus but some have aperture controls and some do not. This version is wide open all the time.

First shots playing around...

The FOV is *very* wide and many shots had feet in them. The uneven vignetting is a little odd (mostly left corners) but not an issue IMO. Seems plenty sharp (all are wide open as there is no aperture) and I have tweaked that slightly with a spacer.

Shawn
What an amazing looking lens! Wow. Nice and sharp images. Wonder if it is even wider than the Pentax Q fisheye? The focal length would seem to suggest it.
thanks for sharing
barondla

---------- Post added 12-05-17 at 08:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by oscaletrains Quote

One is regular 01 lens through a window, closer up is Pentax adapter with 100mm f4 macro through a window, coin date is same but direct, closer coin date is same a that but with 100mm extension tube.

IMGP0054 ? imgbb.com

IMGP0094 ? imgbb.com
IMGP0095 ? imgbb.com
IMGP0096 ? imgbb.com
IMGP0097 ? imgbb.com
You will enjoy the 100mm macro on the Q. Super macro photography is fun. Nice first set of photos.
thanks for sharing
12-05-2017, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #1086
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lens table was updated, thank you all for your submissions.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
Canon 100mm f3.5 LTM:
What kind of mount is it? Not K-mount for sure, but neither Canon EF nor FD?

QuoteOriginally posted by Apertority Quote
Hello,
Thanks for comparison shot, Apertority. I assumed that this is K-mount, if it's not please let me know.

QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
Shawn, thanks for the picture of the lens, looks very cool! C-mount version on the original Q was reported in this post, but that one looks narrower and no vignetting due to smaller sensor. I suppose the difference is the sensor size, is it Q-S1 that's on your picture?

QuoteOriginally posted by oscaletrains Quote
Thanks oscaletrains, it seems like a very good solution covering both ends of the extrema, i.e. long telephoto as well as extreme macro!
12-06-2017, 08:48 AM   #1087
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Originally posted by Cipher Quote Canon 100mm f3.5 LTM: What kind of mount is it? Not K-mount for sure, but neither Canon EF nor FD?
It is the 39mm Leica Thread Mount, the mount that Leica used before their bayonet mount. There are a lot of these by various manufacturers. I have the 135mm f3.5 Canon LTM as well. The Canon LTMs sometimes have internal haze (from the coating interacting with the lubricant in the iris blades) but can usually be cleaned, if not perfectly, good enough to make good images (the carburetor picture was from one that I cleaned.)

That Fujinon CF2.7HA-L1 fisheye looks great—a little wider than the 03 and three stops faster!

12-06-2017, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #1088
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is the 39mm Leica Thread Mount, the mount that Leica used before their bayonet mount. There are a lot of these by various manufacturers. I have the 135mm f3.5 Canon LTM as well. The Canon LTMs sometimes have internal haze (from the coating interacting with the lubricant in the iris blades) but can usually be cleaned, if not perfectly, good enough to make good images (the carburetor picture was from one that I cleaned.)
Wow, thanks for the link Cipher, 72 brands/manufacturers are listed there!
12-09-2017, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #1089

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Lens table was updated, thank you all for your submissions.

What kind of mount is it? Not K-mount for sure, but neither Canon EF nor FD?

Thanks for comparison shot, Apertority. I assumed that this is K-mount, if it's not please let me know.

Shawn, thanks for the picture of the lens, looks very cool! C-mount version on the original Q was reported in this post, but that one looks narrower and no vignetting due to smaller sensor. I suppose the difference is the sensor size, is it Q-S1 that's on your picture?

Thanks oscaletrains, it seems like a very good solution covering both ends of the extrema, i.e. long telephoto as well as extreme macro!
Yup, that is a Q-S1 that the lens is mounted on. If anyone else want to try one check ebay for the Axis 212 security camera. They apparently have that Fujinon in them and the cameras are available cheap on ebay.

http://www.naic.edu/~phil/rfi/miscdevice/axiscam/axis212_specs.pdf

Shawn
04-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #1090
Unregistered User

Ampex 75mm f1.9 C-mount

This is the same lens as the Cosmicar 75mm f1.9, in the satin silver anodized finish, a Television lens. It is pretty good, lower contrast than a modern lens, but high resolution across the frame. Fringing is well controlled,about as good as the 06 zoom @45mm. Glowy wide open, the best stop seems to be f4, although it is usable down to f8. There is a black-barrelled version of this as well, although it may have a different design. These are fairly common on eBay for around $100. Mine needed a thin shim to obtain infinity focus. It is a little longer than an 06 and about twice as heavy. Here is a shot made with it at f4:

Last edited by Unregistered User; 04-07-2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: more info
04-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #1091
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks very good Cipher. Love to see one of the wide open glowy examples, if it isn't too much trouble.
Thanks,
barondla
04-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #1092
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Looks very good Cipher. Love to see one of the wide open glowy examples, if it isn't too much trouble.
Thanks,
barondla
Ask and you shall receive:

Click through to Flickr and you can see the glow on the hands of the watch. That's not too bad, definitely usable, the rest of the image looks good. I'll take some nightclub shots with it someday, I've got its "little brother" the Cosmicar 25mm f1.4 and it is a favorite of mine.

NOTE: This is not the cheap modern Cosmicar CCTV series with the three-bladed iris and swirly bokeh.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 04-15-2018 at 01:52 PM. Reason: more info
04-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #1093
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ask and you shall receive:

Click through to Flickr and you can see the glow on the hands of the watch. That's not too bad, definitely usable, the rest of the image looks good. I'll take some nightclub shots with it someday, I've got its "little brother" the Cosmicar 25mm f1.4 and it is a favorite of mine.
Doesn't look bad at all wide open. There is glow but I have seen worse. Definitely useable wide open. Especially with editing.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
04-17-2018, 08:06 AM   #1094
Unregistered User

Cosmicar 50mm F1.4 C-mount lens

Here are some test shots of the 50mm version of the Cosmicar TV lens (Satin Chrome mount, not the cheapo black plastic version)

At f1.4:

At f4:

For comparison, here is the 06 at 44.3mm f4:

All have been sharpened and tone-corrected in the same way.
The 06 has a little better resolution and contrast, but not much.
The Cosmicar is about the same size as the 06 but weighs twice as much, as would be the case being 2 stops faster.
The Cosmicar is certainly usable at f1.4, it loses some resolution and contrast but gains that dreamy "glow".
Both the 06 and the Cosmicar take 40.5 filters and hoods.
04-18-2018, 04:40 AM   #1095
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice comparison Cipher. Lens looks decent to very good depending on aperture used.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla