Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2012, 05:48 AM   #1

Q start up time - 3.7 seconds.. Say what?

Hi all,

I have been looking at the Q a bit now since the prices went down to reasonable levels.
I would use the Q as a spontaneous cam to always bring along to take shots on social occassions and so on. To be always ready to take a shot.. However I am a bit intrigued by the start up time of 3.7 seconds stated by many review sites.

So on to my main question - is there something like a standby (automatic switch off) mode that wakes up the camera again if you half press the shutter? Guess it could drain the already not so powerful Q battery a bit but I could get a spare.

Had the Oly XZ-1 before and it starts up on 1.5 s which I thought was adequate. Didn't like the handling and digging around in an unintuitive menu system though while watching my motives disappear in front of my eyes (I like to photograph people).

Would be sad if the startup time was to be the dealbreaker as the Q looks like a nice and fun camera with proper buttons for real functions instead of silly flower symbol and whatnot (all other camera makers; take a damn hint). I know people have complained about AF speed but I guess it can't be much worse than XZ-1 that worked well for me..

Thanks for your time

12-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fabian Quote
I am a bit intrigued by the start up time of 3.7 seconds stated by many review sites....
Once I acquired a fast SD card like this

Transcend 16GB Class 10 UHS SDHC Flash Memory Card

its become "instant on." The lag time after pushing the "on" button (at start and wake-up) to "ready to go" dropped to zero seconds.

Cheers...M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 12-25-2012 at 06:12 AM.
12-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
Riv

Photos: Albums
Full Off to On(ready to shoot) mine boots just under 2secs. That's with FW1.10, 01 lens, and a SanDisk Extreme 8gb class 10 card.

Edit- which happens to be the same startup time if used with a class4 SanDisk Ultra, or with no card at all.

Last edited by Riv; 12-25-2012 at 07:26 AM.
12-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I get 3.4 sec measured with a stopwatch on my iPhone.
I'm using Sandisk Ultra card but start time is the same with no card.
In use startup time is not a big deal.
I used the Q along with a few other cameras at a recent family gathering where I was taking pictures of individual family groups with their cams, and the Q was not noticeably faster or slower than any of the others.
The cameras ranged from cheap to expensive point n shoots to phones to bridge cameras.

The Q does not have a standby mode. It does have a power save mode that dims the screen until you press the shutter.

Last edited by crewl1; 12-25-2012 at 08:25 AM.
12-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Hi Fabian,

I believe that the startup time that you see in most posted reviews was with the original FW. IIRC, updated to FW v1.01 made it faster. With system AF lenses (01, 02, and 06), mine are ready to go in less than 2 sec, about the time it takes to take it out of my jacket pocket and bring it up to my eye -- fast enough for me. . .

Scott
12-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #6

Original Poster
Ok guys,

thanks for all the quick answers. I read through FW upgrade specifics but couldn't see it mentioned there, so I'm glad to hear this! Great to see the Q at a fair price too, feels like it got knocked a lot based on the initial price, which is understandable.