Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which native Pentax-Q lenses would you most like to see?
Faster Standard Prime 1116.42%
Ultrawide 3044.78%
Wide Prime 3247.76%
Short Telephoto (Portrait) Prime 1725.37%
Long Telephoto Prime 913.43%
Macro 3349.25%
Faster Standard Zoom 1319.40%
Tilt and Shift Lens 68.96%
Superzoom (e.g. 5-50mm) 811.94%
Other 11.49%
100% happy with the current range   00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #1

Pentax Q 07 Prime 15mm f/1.4 and 08 Macro 18mm f/2.0

The Pentax Q 07 Prime 15mm f/1.4 and 08 Macro 18mm f/2.0 lenses?

Okay, right now, that's just wishful thinking. (Sorry if I got you over-excited by the thread title).
But I'd love to see the above, and also a nice 3-6mm ultrawide.

What native Q-system lenses would you most like to see Pentax produce?

I personally don't think there's a real need for a longer range telephoto than the 45mm, as there's so many adapted options to achieve that.

Last edited by NeilGratton; 12-27-2012 at 03:47 AM.
12-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A prime of the 01's quality that is wider, say 5mm at f1.4. Yes, that would do nicely.
12-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It seems like it's not just me that wants an ultrawide and a macro.
12-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
It seems like it's not just me that wants an ultrawide and a macro.
Looks like you have plenty of company. As with ultrawide and particularly macro shots, you typically want to maximise the depth of field, it's somewhere the small sensor may be more advantage than liability.

In the absence of a macro, it'd be good to see Q extension tubes.

12-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to see some superfast glass. A 12mm/F0.7 would be neat.
12-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NeilGratton Quote

I personally don't think there's a real need for a longer range telephoto than the 45mm, as there's so many adapted options to achieve that.
I disagree. AF and super compact and light weight makes a difference -- but I'm primarily an ultra tele + shooter, and at this point, I seem to be the only one who voted for this option. . .

Even I don't see this as a priority, and would like to see a fast wide prime, a faster std zoom and a dedicated macro first for the sake of a well rounded system, but would like to see a fast ultra/super tele prime to fill out the lens lineup eventually.

Scott
12-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I disagree. AF and super compact and light weight makes a difference -- but I'm primarily an ultra tele + shooter, and at this point, I seem to be the only one who voted for this option. . .

Even I don't see this as a priority, and would like to see a fast wide prime, a faster std zoom and a dedicated macro first for the sake of a well rounded system, but would like to see a fast ultra/super tele prime to fill out the lens lineup eventually.

Scott
On the fast wide prime - please make it AF. I like my Fish-Eye but would prefer AF on any non-FE lenses in the future.

12-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #8

Telephoto lenses are easily 'made' by the use of a K-adapter. The lack of lenses is on the wide side.
12-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wpvv Quote
Telephoto lenses are easily 'made' by the use of a K-adapter. The lack of lenses is on the wide side.
I do no dispute this -- wides would probably make the Q more desirable for a segment of shooters, especially those that seem to like photo fora. Wides and ultra wides will require low single digit FLs, will more difficult to design and build, and will undoubtedly show significant barrel distortion, emphasizing how larger formats are superior for the styles of shooting requiring these lenses. For these, you're fighting the crop factor built into the Q.

AF would allow me to use a spotting scope bracketed on the side as an optical viewfinder to shoot in real time, and a Red Dot with an AF lens would allow me to track in real time using AF to shoot long tele for moving subjects with a very light and nimble camera that's easy to hold up to the eye for long periods of time. With an AF lens, I can work around LCD lag and take advantage of the extreme reach allowed by the Q. The growth of the super zoom/travel zoom classes of compact cameras, especially since the first Panasonic FZs and TZs illustrates how the mass market responds to ultra tele and super tele shooting.
For these, you're taking advantage of the crop factor of the Q.

I've already stated that Pentax should, as a priority, take care of the wide side first, but to dismiss the usefulness of the long side in AF system lenses is to deny the inherent advantage of the format the system is built around.

Scott
12-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #10

Hi Scott,

I am certainly not disagreeing that longer dedicated Q lenses are welcome. I was mainly thinking about the next lens now the 15-45 is there.
12-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #11

I really want the body cap lens to come out the most
12-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #12

Something like a 100mm 2.8 (or longer, or faster!) for the Q would be awesome. With 550+mm equivalent and autofocus, and reasonably small (compared to adapted lenses, at least), that would be very useful.

Right now I plan to travel with my Q + 06 Telephoto, in the same bag as my full-frame Canon 5dMkII. Since long telephoto lenses for my full-frame camera are way too big (and expensive), I can pull out the Q if I see something that requires more reach. Having something that goes beyond the 06 lens would be even better.
12-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wpvv Quote
Hi Scott,

I am certainly not disagreeing that longer dedicated Q lenses are welcome. I was mainly thinking about the next lens now the 15-45 is there.
Hi wpw,

I think we can all agree that Pentax should work to fill out the lens line to expand the Q system. Hopefully all the lenses that Qusers (did I just coin a new word?) want to see will become a part of the plan.

Scott

Edit: Pentax -- make them fast, (max aperture wise. . . and quickly wouldn't hurt either) with very good optics as I know you can, and I'll buy all of them!

Last edited by snostorm; 12-27-2012 at 04:40 PM.
12-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #14

QuoteQuote:
Qusers (did I just coin a new word?)
it looks like you'll have to pay for that URL, though...

Qusers.com
12-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I would also love a tele prime and a faster normal zoom (the current sadly hits diffraction) but at the same time I don't see them as the most lacking areas.
QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
it looks like you'll have to pay for that URL, though...

Qusers.com
Haha, I wonder if somebody from here will buy it? If I only knew how to make a webpage I would!