Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #31
Senior Member
MarinatedHerring's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 118
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Looks good - any chance of the little felt fibers falling on the sensor?
The tape itself does shed if pulled on but it seems to stay intact if it isn't touched. Should I be worried?

01-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #32
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
That was my only concern with using felt or fabric and is why I went the paint route.
I would keep an eye on it, if you start to get more specks on the sensor than normal you may want to try a different approach.
The good thing is the fibers shouldn't stick and the sensor is easy to blow off.
02-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #33
Veteran Member
bullitt_60's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 322
Hey guys, sorry to bump this thread, but I came across it while doing some research on the Q. I'd like to suggest using Plastidip instead of spray paint. If you are not familiar with this product, it is a spray on rubberized coating. It has excellent adherence but if applied in several coats can be peeled off anytime. The only photographic equipment i have used it on was a Sigma lens hood to prevent it from scratching but it sounds like a perfect solution for this.
02-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #34
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
Sounds like a decent idea, but I wouldn't want anything that can peel off since the inside of these adapters has direct access to the sensor and the rear element of the lenses attached. Also it sounds like this rubberized coating would not allow the aperture lever to work.

02-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #35
Veteran Member
bullitt_60's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 322
I can see why you'd say that but it won't peel off on its own and will peel off in one piece. It's hard to explain unless you play around with it. You can tape areas off or use a razor blade to cut around and remove areas. I use the clear stuff on the trailing edges of the wheel arches and rocker panels on my car during track days. Anyway, it is awesome stuff so the next time y'all are at Home Depot (Bed Bath & Beyond if there's time) I recommend picking up a can to play around with. You'll find something to do with it.

Here's a vid to give you an idea. I am going to spray my zoom lens hoods before the next racing event I attend as they bump up against chain link fencing a lot.

02-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #36
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
Ok bullitt - I get the idea now. I can think of a couple things to do with Plastidip. I do remember it being talked about when I used to frequent a couple automotive forums.

Just curious as to why you think Plastidip would be better than flat paint for the Fotodiox adapter.
02-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #37
Veteran Member
bullitt_60's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 322
Mainly the fact that it is removable makes application easier. You know if you mess up a little you can fix it. But it is also a matte finish with a slight texture to it and difficult to scratch. So maybe it isn't better, but just another option.
02-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #38
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
Mainly the fact that it is removable makes application easier. You know if you mess up a little you can fix it. But it is also a matte finish with a slight texture to it and difficult to scratch. So maybe it isn't better, but just another option.
The matte finish might actually be better since the reason for covering the inside of the adapter in the first place is to stop and glare/reflections.

02-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #39
Senior Member
MarinatedHerring's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 118
I stand by using felt tape. The right kind doesn't have any loose strands and is relatively easy to apply. I believe it decreases glare better than matte paint too.
02-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #40
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by MarinatedHerring Quote
I stand by using felt tape. The right kind doesn't have any loose strands and is relatively easy to apply. I believe it decreases glare better than matte paint too.
I wrote down the specs for the tape you used from your previous post (1mm thick - 3/4" wide). I have to go to the big city on Monday where I will be able to get to a Home Depot or Lowes. To help save me some aggravation (I hate cities and stores in general) could you tell me what section in a store like that I would be able to find this tape?
02-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #41
Senior Member
MarinatedHerring's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 118
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I wrote down the specs for the tape you used from your previous post (1mm thick - 3/4" wide). I have to go to the big city on Monday where I will be able to get to a Home Depot or Lowes. To help save me some aggravation (I hate cities and stores in general) could you tell me what section in a store like that I would be able to find this tape?
I ordered it from Amazon (I also do not like going to stores) but I imagine you could find felt tape somewhere near the furniture stuff. People use it for putting on the legs of chairs and tables if they have hardwood floors I think. If they don't have the rolls of felt (you might not want to invest in 75' of it anyway) then I'm positive home depot would have pre-cut rectangle pieces.

If you can, get a soft wooden rod too. I used a piece of wood to push the felt onto the adapter rather than my fingers to risk lifting any fibers.

I've been using this taped adapter for about 2-3 weeks now and haven't had any loose fibers so far. I tap the adapter against a sheet of printer paper after every shoot just to make sure nothing is hanging around in there. So far so good!
02-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #42
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by MarinatedHerring Quote
I ordered it from Amazon (I also do not like going to stores) but I imagine you could find felt tape somewhere near the furniture stuff. People use it for putting on the legs of chairs and tables if they have hardwood floors I think. If they don't have the rolls of felt (you might not want to invest in 75' of it anyway) then I'm positive home depot would have pre-cut rectangle pieces.

If you can, get a soft wooden rod too. I used a piece of wood to push the felt onto the adapter rather than my fingers to risk lifting any fibers.

I've been using this taped adapter for about 2-3 weeks now and haven't had any loose fibers so far. I tap the adapter against a sheet of printer paper after every shoot just to make sure nothing is hanging around in there. So far so good!
Thanks!

I found it right away at Amazon - just added it to my cart since I am putting together an order anyway - so much easier that way!
02-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #43
Senior Member
MarinatedHerring's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 118
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks!

I found it right away at Amazon - just added it to my cart since I am putting together an order anyway - so much easier that way!
No problem! Please let me know if you have any ideas what to do with the extra felt!!!
02-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #44
Site Supporter
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,676
Fotodiox rear cap

My tip of the day.
The rear cap from a Q lens fits the Fotodiox adapter perfectly too!
Go figure, huh?

well I used to be blonde, now I'm just a grey/gray (never know which one is right) headed old phart.
02-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #45
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
My tip of the day.
The rear cap from a Q lens fits the Fotodiox adapter perfectly too!
Go figure, huh?

well I used to be blonde, now I'm just a grey/gray (never know which one is right) headed old phart.
There there, don't strain yourself, you just rest
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adapter, aperture, camera, fotodiox, fotodiox adapter, mirrorless, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q10, q7
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fotodiox macro bellows QUESTION moral decay Pentax K-5 9 11-17-2014 04:33 AM
What is Focal Length of Fotodiox Q to K adapter? SonDa5 Pentax Q 4 12-25-2012 03:11 PM
For Sale - Sold: Adapter - Pentax 6x7, 67 Lens to Pentax K (PK) Fotodiox harriska2 Sold Items 0 12-23-2012 12:03 PM
For Sale - Sold: Fotodiox Q-K adapter crewl1 Sold Items 0 12-05-2012 02:09 PM
For Sale - Sold: FotoDiox K-mount to m43 mount adapter w/ aperture control deejjjaaaa Sold Items 3 08-04-2011 10:06 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top