Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
FYI
Poked around Hobby Lobby today looking for stick-on felt.
They had 9" x 12" adhesive backed sheets for $1.17.
Bought a black one, cut 1" strips, and now have a non-shiny interior on my adapter.
A bit tedious to put on, but the deed is done!

02-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good work. No loose fibres or anything like that?
Post a part number if you have it.
02-06-2013, 10:00 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Good work. No loose fibres or anything like that?
Post a part number if you have it.
No loose fibers, and a pretty darn sticky backing.
I picked it up in store, but here is a link.
02-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #49

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
No loose fibers, and a pretty darn sticky backing.
I picked it up in store, but here is a link.
This looks like its worth a shot. Ill have to pick some up on my way home from work. Thanks robtcorl!

02-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
This looks like its worth a shot. Ill have to pick some up on my way home from work. Thanks robtcorl!
You're welcome!
If not familiar with Hobby Lobby, I'm not, I just wandered around, ask where the craft felt is located.
02-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The more I play with the Fotodiox adapter, the more I want the Pentax adapter. I'm getting jello in a great deal of my super telephoto shots -- even if the shutter speed is 1/1000 or higher. For hand holding, Fotodiox is just not suitable. A real shutter is necessary.

Charles.
02-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #52
Site Supporter

I need an adapter for my DA 300 +AF1.7 TC ..so maybe the fotodiox is a waste of $$ for this use...wonder if the Pentax one will go on sale at some point? as the Q has dropped so much in price now...
02-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
If not familiar with Hobby Lobby, I'm not....
Suuuuuuuuure.

02-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
I need an adapter for my DA 300 +AF1.7 TC ..so maybe the fotodiox is a waste of $$ for this use...wonder if the Pentax one will go on sale at some point? as the Q has dropped so much in price now...
I don't follow why you think it is a waste of money?
02-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Yeah, what's your intent? I plan on putting the Fotodiox to the test next month by doing some panning... I'm not convinced it can't be achieved without a shutter and on a monopod.

I took this photo nearly 10 years ago with a Canon S1IS. If I could do that back then with that old equipment and no shutter, I should be okay now. The Q has more resolution and control but more focal length. We'll see.

02-10-2013, 12:46 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
The more I play with the Fotodiox adapter, the more I want the Pentax adapter. I'm getting jello in a great deal of my super telephoto shots -- even if the shutter speed is 1/1000 or higher. For hand holding, Fotodiox is just not suitable. A real shutter is necessary.

Charles.
I'm with you there. Not only the jello, but the fact that it doesn't lock into a couple of my lenses (FA* 300, DA 17-70...both of which would get used quite a bit on the Q) means I'm not in the mood to risk a multi-hundred-dollar lens to a $25 adapter. Then we have the approximate aperture value issue...one click is like f/6-7, two is around f/11 or so? There's only so much room before diffraction comes around. The tripod collar blocks the aperture ring on my 300, and the DA lenses don't even have one...can't adjust it on the lens itself for accuracy.

TL;DR the Fotodiox sucks except for price, the Pentax rocks except for price.
02-10-2013, 05:37 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
Yeah, what's your intent? I plan on putting the Fotodiox to the test next month by doing some panning... I'm not convinced it can't be achieved without a shutter and on a monopod.
Of course it can be achieved, you just need to get the panning right for a much longer time, which is much harder.

QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
I took this photo nearly 10 years ago with a Canon S1IS. If I could do that back then with that old equipment and no shutter, I should be okay now.
Are you sure it doesn't have a shutter? All the PowerShots I've used (none from that series though) have given every impression of having one.
02-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Of course it can be achieved, you just need to get the panning right for a much longer time, which is much harder.

Are you sure it doesn't have a shutter? All the PowerShots I've used (none from that series though) have given every impression of having one.
It has been a long time but I am pretty sure it had an electronic shutter.
02-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #59
Pentaxian

The Canon S1 IS had a CCD and the Q uses a CMOS sensor, and that makes a huge difference in the electronic shutter. CCDs dump the data from the whole sensor simultaneously to an off-sensor cache, so all the pixels on the sensor can essentially be turned off and on simultaneously. The CMOS of the Q cannot do this, and each row of pixels needs to be refreshed sequentially with the rolling electronic shutter -- thus the potential for jello effect. With a mechanical shutter, the CMOS can be refreshed globally to ready it for exposure, but the sensor still dumps sequentially by row, the difference being that this refresh and the subsequent dump are both done behind the closed shutter, so there is no potential for jello.

I'm guessing that with good panning technique, the cars may turn out fine, but anything that is not horizontal will be distorted in the foreground and background. This may not be a bad thing though, and could yield some interesting images. . .

Scott
02-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #60
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I don't follow why you think it is a waste of money?
the fotodiox is I mean..as better to save for the Pentax one as only have the DA 300 to play with and want good results