Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have any problems with the black paint finish on the inside. I don't think painting it is necessary. As a whole it seems high quality to me and as far as function the adapter works well but I find close up shots difficult because of +5.5 crop factor with K lenses.

I'm debating keeping this camera right now. If I keep it I think I will need to get a high quality K mount wide 8mm lens for close ups when using this adapter.

I enjoy the Q but because of software issues and manual use with this adapter with K lenses I have had a tough time figuring out how to maximize it for manual photos and video.

01-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure how you are trying to use it but if you are not warming up to the Q then perhaps it is time to cut your losses and move on.
Photography should be about having fun, not fighting with the equipment.

(Personally I find the Q a blast. )
01-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dentax, welcome to the forum. The Q is an incredible little camera and system. It is loads of fun.

Unclear about what you actually shimmed on your Q-PK adapter? Is it between the K mount and adapter body or something directly connected to the aperture lever control?
thanks
barondla
01-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SonDa5 Quote
I'm debating keeping this camera right now. If I keep it I think I will need to get a high quality K mount wide 8mm lens for close ups when using this adapter.
If you decide to sell it, PM me. I think my wife wants one.

01-04-2013, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Dentax, welcome to the forum. The Q is an incredible little camera and system. It is loads of fun.

Unclear about what you actually shimmed on your Q-PK adapter? Is it between the K mount and adapter body or something directly connected to the aperture lever control?
thanks
barondla
barondla, I hope I did this right, but the photo shows the shim between the open and close ring and the body of the adapter.
Dennis
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
01-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Hi Dentax,

I was wondering about the shim thing also. . . -- so it takes out some of the slop and even acts as something of a bearing surface -- Great idea and solution.!!

Scott
01-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dentax Quote
barondla, I hope I did this right, but the photo shows the shim between the open and close ring and the body of the adapter. Dennis
Excellent work there. Bet it makes that Fotodiox much more enjoyable to use. You should sell upgrade kits

01-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SonDa5, what type of pics are you attempting with the Q? Are you shooting at a great distance and bringing things closer or s it closeup macro photos? I have the Sigma 8-16 zoom but rarely shoot it on the Q. Post a couple of shots.

Using adapted lenses on the Q takes practice. The photographer is rewarded with images that are very difficult or almost impossible to get any ther way. Give the Q a chance.
thanks
barondla
01-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
SonDa5, what type of pics are you attempting with the Q? Are you shooting at a great distance and bringing things closer or s it closeup macro photos? I have the Sigma 8-16 zoom but rarely shoot it on the Q. Post a couple of shots.

Using adapted lenses on the Q takes practice. The photographer is rewarded with images that are very difficult or almost impossible to get any ther way. Give the Q a chance.
thanks
barondla

I went on a trip to San Francisco over new years and I had a tough time taking spontaneous shots of my family. Used the Fotodiox adapter with Pentax DA 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL lens that came with my Pentax K10D.

I had a tough time getting the camera to operate dependable for clear shots and left it at 18mm for most of the shots because I had a tough time focusing with free hand. Took alot of photos with it and most of my shots were out of focus. I had a tough time using the small display in daylight for focusing. I have 20/20 vision. I know this camera is not a simple point and shoot but the software didn't make sense to me. Adjusting focal length didn't seem to do anything. Exposure value settings didn't seem to stick. I found myself having to manually adjust way too much and a few times I had to just set camera settings to default to start fresh.

I enjoy taking photos and being able to control a camera but a little after 2 weeks and about 1000 shots on this camera and I still can't seem to control it. Seems very unpredictable to me and I blame the software. Even with Tripod I have a tough time controlling it. Also the 02 zoom lens seems in auto mode doesn't operate as fast or as inteligent as I would like, again I blame software.

I jumped on the Q when I found a hot price and I felt confident about the purchase because the Q had such a high price at launch. Right now I feel like the camera is too hard to control and I am unable to capture the images that I am trying to capture.

I will post some photos that I was partly satisfied with in another thread.

I am coming close to my 30 day return policy date and I am really thinking about returning it. If I keep it I will have to buy a flat wide angle lens to be able to capture close range photos that I would like to easily capture. That is going to throw more money into this camera just to get the type of image I am trying to get. I may just end up returning the Q and the K-01 and sell the K10D and get a K5.
01-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Dentax,

I was wondering about the shim thing also. . . -- so it takes out some of the slop and even acts as something of a bearing surface -- Great idea and solution.!!

Scott

I don't see the point of this mod. My Fotodiox adapter isn't sloppy. The Aperture movement clicks fine.
01-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Hi SonDa5,

I think that if you can't get satisfactory results with any camera after a month, and your return window is near to closing, that you're probably best off returning it and moving on. I think that if we had some time, we could have helped you with some of your specific problems using the Q, but with a deadline looming, this would be difficult.

If you do get the K-5, I think you will be very pleased, especially moving from a K10. I'm not knocking the K10 -- probably the best base ISO IQ of any Pentax DSLR -- it's just that the K-5 is so much better in so many ways. . .

Scott
01-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #27

Sorry for bumping this thread--

I decided to not go the paint route considering and try something different. i have purchased 1mm thick felt tape that is 3/4 inches wide. I believe I will be able come up with a method of coiling it around in there. If this doesn't work then I'll go the painting method. I hope it makes a noticeable difference because I feel like this "bloom" effect I'm getting is from the adapter.
01-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cutting the reflections on the inside of the adapter will improve image quality. How much varies with the lens. The Pentax DA*300 has special coatings to reduce reflections from the sensor. With this lens contrast is improved slightly with the modified adapter. Other lenses, like the Sigma bigma, has a white haze that renders the shots useless without the modified adapter.
thanks
barondla
01-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #29

A few days ago I finished putting the felt on my F-mount to Q adapter. It works well! Shotty job and I might redo it down the line.

01-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarinatedHerring Quote
A few days ago I finished putting the felt on my F-mount to Q adapter. It works well! Shotty job and I might redo it down the line.
Looks good - any chance of the little felt fibers falling on the sensor?