Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fotodiox adapter question

Just got my Fotodiox K to Q adapter with aperture ring yesterday. Like this:

Looks ok, but the aperture ring turns somewhat crappily. It moves, but it's a bit hard to turn and has some slop in the mechanism. Is that the norm?

I've got the stuff for the Q, now if shopNBC would just get off their butts and ship the actual camera! I ordered it a week ago & it's still sitting there. :-/

12-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have that adapter and it freed up after use and yes the aperture ring can move a little but mine works great on all of my K mount lenses. The tripod mount is also a plus. Hope you get the Q soon and start having all the fun we are.

Hans
12-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote

Looks ok, but the aperture ring turns somewhat crappily. It moves, but it's a bit hard to turn and has some slop in the mechanism. Is that the norm?

I've got the stuff for the Q, now if shopNBC would just get off their butts and ship the actual camera! I ordered it a week ago & it's still sitting there. :-/
Funny NBC sent mine 2 days after I ordered...
with this adapter can you use new K mount lenses like DA300 and change aperture? the Pentax one is too $$ I think..& where did you get the Fotodiox?
12-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is how my Fotodiox adapter was.
It did seem to become less stiff with use as Hans indicates.
You will also find once you mount it on the Q that it will have some rotational slop on the mount side and tight on the lens side.
In spite of all that it does the job and the aperture ring lets you use it with DA lenses.

12-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, guys. After working it back & forth it did seem to free up a bit.

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
where did you get the Fotodiox?
Amazon. It was $25. They had the one with no aperture ring for $20, but I plan on trying some DA lenses so I opted for the aperture ring model.

I also got what I think was a smashing deal on a pair of Wasabi batteries and recharger that works on household AC or cigarette lighter socket in the car. $20 for the whole works at Amazon. The Wasabi batteries are supposed to be at least as good as the OEM battery, and some say better. Here it is.

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Funny NBC sent mine 2 days after I ordered...
Ah sure... Rub it in, why don't ya! :-P

I'm supposed to have it by January 3rd, but it doesn't make much sense for them to let it sit there for a week or more. Mail the damn thing already!
12-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info, guys. After working it back & forth it did seem to free up a bit.

Amazon. It was $25. They had the one with no aperture ring for $20, but I plan on trying some DA lenses so I opted for the aperture ring model.
Ok as fotodiox web has none listed??

I also got what I think was a smashing deal on a pair of Wasabi batteries and recharger that works on household AC or cigarette lighter socket in the car. $20 for the whole works at Amazon. The Wasabi batteries are supposed to be at least as good as the OEM battery, and some say better. Here it is.
cheap for batteries as well..must see if amazon.uk has it as well

Ah sure... Rub it in, why don't ya! :-P

I'm supposed to have it by January 3rd, but it doesn't make much sense for them to let it sit there for a week or more. Mail the damn thing already!
well its in Oregon & I'm in Denmark..so must wait for my friend to come home next week..so you prob get yours 1st
01-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #7

I noticed inside of my fotodiox adapter that it is a shiny black. Does this affect the outcome of the photos much? I noticed a lot of my photos come out soft and I was wondering if that had something to do with it. I heard that some people paint the inside a matte black but I was wondering if there is a quicker fix-if needed.

01-01-2013, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarinatedHerring Quote
I noticed inside of my fotodiox adapter that it is a shiny black. Does this affect the outcome of the photos much? I noticed a lot of my photos come out soft and I was wondering if that had something to do with it. I heard that some people paint the inside a matte black but I was wondering if there is a quicker fix-if needed.
Hi MH,

I would imagine that you could cut a cone of black craft/construction paper and double side tape it inside the adapter, being careful not to block the back opening. Painting is a better solution though -- once it's done it's done. . .

Scott
01-01-2013, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I painted mine and felt it was pretty quick. If you come up with something else please suggest.
Barondla suggested felt but I was afraid the little fibers would end up on the sensor.
01-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #10

Thank you for the quick replies -- One final question: What kind of paint did you use? I'd worry about flaking if I picked the wrong kind of paint.
01-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used Rustoleum flat black. Any better quality paint should do. Avoid the 99c specials.
Mask off the aperture mechanism well so moving it won't scrape any paint off.
01-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarinatedHerring Quote
Thank you for the quick replies -- One final question: What kind of paint did you use? I'd worry about flaking if I picked the wrong kind of paint.
I just used automotive brush flat black touchup paint . Worked great for me.

Hans
01-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also used Rust-oleum flat black auto touch up spray paint. It seems to work well. Not sure it quite matchs the Pentax adapter.

In theory flocking is better than paint. It isn't felt like we normally think of it. Flocking has very short stubble - think 5 o'clock beard. Don't think the hair would fall out. Pentax has some in their adapter. I just haven't come up with an easy way to apply it. The Pentax adapter has reduced my motivation to experiment with the other adapters. I do need to work on my Pentax 110, Olympus Om, Canon FD and EOS adapters.
thanks
barondla
01-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
In theory flocking is better than paint.
I thought of a spray flocking kinda thing, but couldn't find any, so I went with flat black spray paint. I was gonna go with the Rustoleum, but the cheap Wal-Mart paint was flatter, so I went with it. I've painted stuff with it many times before & haven't had a flaking problem, so hopefully it'll be ok.
01-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #15

That how mine worked, I took it apart painted the inside with flat black paint as suggested in this forum and shimmed it with 0.003 brass shim stock. Works much better now.