Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #76
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,795
QuoteOriginally posted by DarkNexiz Quote
My Q just showed up today with the Prime lens. Seems pretty nice so far. I took some test shots but as this is my first camera anywhere above a POS I don't think they were very good. I'm still learning after all.

I had held off on ordering any accessories just in case it came with the zoom lens and I wanted to use the extra $$ to buy a Prime, but since it came with the Prime and for the time being I don't need the Zoom, I ordered two extra batteries, another SD card (16GB class 10) and I'm still looking around for a good case (that's not a camera bag, any suggestions would be awesome ).

I think I'll be enjoying this a lot and just getting into the world of manual photography is rather magical in it of itself.
Hope to see all of you around the forums, I'll be dropping in from time to time.
-Dark
Welcome, good to have you on board. Where are you located?

01-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #77
New Member
DarkNexiz's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 19
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Welcome, good to have you on board. Where are you located?
Located in Michigan, I'm looking forward to using this Q to making some better quality videos for my tech-channel on YouTube. Up until now I've been trying to make do with a relatively nice point and shoot, so the Q is a sizeable upgrade both in terms of quality and complexity. While it might not be the best dedicated video camera out there, I think it's a good step up from a p&s and a cool foray into the mirrorless world.

However, now that I have the camera and have been experimenting with it, I think I may use it for general photography as well

Last edited by DarkNexiz; 01-16-2013 at 09:04 PM.
01-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #78
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by DarkNexiz Quote
My Q just showed up today with the Prime lens. Seems pretty nice so far. I took some test shots but as this is my first camera anywhere above a POS I don't think they were very good. I'm still learning after all.

I had held off on ordering any accessories just in case it came with the zoom lens and I wanted to use the extra $$ to buy a Prime, but since it came with the Prime and for the time being I don't need the Zoom, I ordered two extra batteries, another SD card (16GB class 10) and I'm still looking around for a good case (that's not a camera bag, any suggestions would be awesome ).

I think I'll be enjoying this a lot and just getting into the world of manual photography is rather magical in it of itself.
Hope to see all of you around the forums, I'll be dropping in from time to time.
-Dark
Sounds like you are off to a good start with the Q. There is a wealth of information here and a great group so don't be afraid to ask any questions.

And don't forget to upgrade the firmware on both your camera and lens.
01-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #79
New Member
DarkNexiz's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 19
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Sounds like you are off to a good start with the Q. There is a wealth of information here and a great group so don't be afraid to ask any questions.

And don't forget to upgrade the firmware on both your camera and lens.
Already updated the firmware on the Camera, I heard about focus peaking on other cameras and when I saw the Q had it I was really happy. It was literally the first thing I did, and the focus peaking works great.

First question (you did say I should ask questions :P) how would one go about updating the firmware on a lens? I can't just plug an SD card into the lens, so I don't really know where to go from there.
Thanks,
-Dark

01-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #80
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 384
QuoteOriginally posted by DarkNexiz Quote
Already updated the firmware on the Camera, I heard about focus peaking on other cameras and when I saw the Q had it I was really happy. It was literally the first thing I did, and the focus peaking works great.

First question (you did say I should ask questions :P) how would one go about updating the firmware on a lens? I can't just plug an SD card into the lens, so I don't really know where to go from there.
Thanks,
-Dark
Same way you update the camera firmware, just use the down arrow to select Lens Firmware update in the menu.
01-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #81
New Member
DarkNexiz's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 19
QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
Same way you update the camera firmware, just use the down arrow to select Lens Firmware update in the menu.
And I assume I get that from Pentax as well, makes sense since its their kit lens.
Thanks for the help.
01-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #82
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
Same way you update the camera firmware, just use the down arrow to select Lens Firmware update in the menu.
Exactly right - download the lens firmware whether it be the 01 or 02 lens. With the lens firmware you do not have to extract the downloaded file - it is ready to load on your SD card as is. Then when you go to the firmware menu like systemA says, you will see an entry for the camera firmware and also the lens firmware - then just do the same as you did with the camera firmware. Just be sure you have the lens installed on the camera.
01-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #83
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Durham, nc
Photos: Albums
Posts: 887
I've updated the camera firmware. What benefit do I get from updating the zoom or prime lens?

Charles.

01-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #84
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I've updated the camera firmware. What benefit do I get from updating the zoom or prime lens?

Charles.
The shutter is in the lens for the 01 and 02, there is also a chip in the lens that controls certain features like aperture, so updating the firmware for the lens can have as many benefits on the IQ as updating the firmware on the camera.
01-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #85
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,795
I wanted to get confirmation that the warranty could be purchased and applied to the Groupon deal and received a positive answer.
Here is the email for your info, I'm keeping it for my records.
-----------------------------
Dear Mr. Navarro,

Thank you for contacting PENTAX.

You can purchase a PENTAX Interchangeable Lens extended warranty (#80227) for the Q camera from a PENTAX dealer like B&H for up to 30 days after the camera purchase.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION /
PHONE: 800.234.0276 /800.877.0155 / BE INTERESTING. PENTAX



Your Email:
i have a question about the extended warranty program.
if i purchase an extended warranty mfr # 80227 from b&h does it apply to the pentax q when bought through this seller and offer: Pentax Q Camera Kit with Standard Lens Deal of the Day | Groupon
01-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #86
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I wanted to get confirmation that the warranty could be purchased and applied to the Groupon deal and received a positive answer.
Here is the email for your info, I'm keeping it for my records.
-----------------------------
Dear Mr. Navarro,

Thank you for contacting PENTAX.

You can purchase a PENTAX Interchangeable Lens extended warranty (#80227) for the Q camera from a PENTAX dealer like B&H for up to 30 days after the camera purchase.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION /
PHONE: 800.234.0276 /800.877.0155 / BE INTERESTING. PENTAX



Your Email:
i have a question about the extended warranty program.
if i purchase an extended warranty mfr # 80227 from b&h does it apply to the pentax q when bought through this seller and offer: Pentax Q Camera Kit with Standard Lens Deal of the Day | Groupon
Thanks. That's been the answer over the past year+ - I just got one for my Groupon K-01 from B&H myself. Be sure to keep both receipts.
01-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #87
Veteran Member
volosong's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Antelope Valley, SoCal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 660
Mine is due to arrive tomorrow, via FedEx.
01-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #88
Riv
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 142
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I wanted to get confirmation that the warranty could be purchased and applied to the Groupon deal and received a positive answer.
Here is the email for your info, I'm keeping it for my records.
-----------------------------
Dear Mr. Navarro,

Thank you for contacting PENTAX.

You can purchase a PENTAX Interchangeable Lens extended warranty (#80227) for the Q camera from a PENTAX dealer like B&H for up to 30 days after the camera purchase.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION /
PHONE: 800.234.0276 /800.877.0155 / BE INTERESTING. PENTAX



Your Email:
i have a question about the extended warranty program.
if i purchase an extended warranty mfr # 80227 from b&h does it apply to the pentax q when bought through this seller and offer: Pentax Q Camera Kit with Standard Lens Deal of the Day | Groupon
I figured you could, so I ordered one once I got the shipping email from groupon. But, now my question is where it the receipt from groupon? Did you get one with your Q? Wasn't nothing in the box, nor anything other than a shipping notice email from them...
01-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #89
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Riv Quote
I figured you could, so I ordered one once I got the shipping email from groupon. But, now my question is where it the receipt from groupon? Did you get one with your Q? Wasn't nothing in the box, nor anything other than a shipping notice email from them...
All your receipts for Groupon are on their website and you can download them in PDF. At least that is how mine are handled.
01-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #90
Riv
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 142
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
All your receipts for Groupon are on their website and you can download them in PDF. At least that is how mine are handled.
Cool, thanks I'll go look for it. 1st purchase from there, I didn't notice anything downloadable last time, but I was mostly just checking if their shoreman heard anything yet
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, groupon, lens, mirrorless, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q10, q7
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Q + 01 Prime Standard Lens Kit $199.99 + free s/h systemA Pentax Price Watch 39 01-16-2013 11:18 AM
Pentax k-01 + 40 mm xs lens $299 at groupon Immunogirl Pentax K-01 27 12-23-2012 10:15 PM
Q + 01 Prime or 02 Zoom for $299 Groupon w Free Ship Docrwm Pentax Price Watch 5 11-20-2012 09:11 PM
Pentax Q + 01 for $350 (Groupon) Cinders Pentax Price Watch 3 10-06-2012 10:03 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:02 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top