Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DarkNexiz Quote
My Q just showed up today with the Prime lens. Seems pretty nice so far. I took some test shots but as this is my first camera anywhere above a POS I don't think they were very good. I'm still learning after all.

I had held off on ordering any accessories just in case it came with the zoom lens and I wanted to use the extra $$ to buy a Prime, but since it came with the Prime and for the time being I don't need the Zoom, I ordered two extra batteries, another SD card (16GB class 10) and I'm still looking around for a good case (that's not a camera bag, any suggestions would be awesome ).

I think I'll be enjoying this a lot and just getting into the world of manual photography is rather magical in it of itself.
Hope to see all of you around the forums, I'll be dropping in from time to time.
-Dark
Welcome, good to have you on board. Where are you located?

01-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #77

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Welcome, good to have you on board. Where are you located?
Located in Michigan, I'm looking forward to using this Q to making some better quality videos for my tech-channel on YouTube. Up until now I've been trying to make do with a relatively nice point and shoot, so the Q is a sizeable upgrade both in terms of quality and complexity. While it might not be the best dedicated video camera out there, I think it's a good step up from a p&s and a cool foray into the mirrorless world.

However, now that I have the camera and have been experimenting with it, I think I may use it for general photography as well

Last edited by DarkNexiz; 01-16-2013 at 09:04 PM.
01-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #78
Veteran Member

My Q just showed up today with the Prime lens. Seems pretty nice so far. I took some test shots but as this is my first camera anywhere above a POS I don't think they were very good. I'm still learning after all.

I had held off on ordering any accessories just in case it came with the zoom lens and I wanted to use the extra $$ to buy a Prime, but since it came with the Prime and for the time being I don't need the Zoom, I ordered two extra batteries, another SD card (16GB class 10) and I'm still looking around for a good case (that's not a camera bag, any suggestions would be awesome ).

I think I'll be enjoying this a lot and just getting into the world of manual photography is rather magical in it of itself.
Hope to see all of you around the forums, I'll be dropping in from time to time.
-Dark
Sounds like you are off to a good start with the Q. There is a wealth of information here and a great group so don't be afraid to ask any questions.

And don't forget to upgrade the firmware on both your camera and lens.
01-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Sounds like you are off to a good start with the Q. There is a wealth of information here and a great group so don't be afraid to ask any questions.

And don't forget to upgrade the firmware on both your camera and lens.
Already updated the firmware on the Camera, I heard about focus peaking on other cameras and when I saw the Q had it I was really happy. It was literally the first thing I did, and the focus peaking works great.

First question (you did say I should ask questions :P) how would one go about updating the firmware on a lens? I can't just plug an SD card into the lens, so I don't really know where to go from there.
Thanks,
-Dark

01-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Already updated the firmware on the Camera, I heard about focus peaking on other cameras and when I saw the Q had it I was really happy. It was literally the first thing I did, and the focus peaking works great.

First question (you did say I should ask questions :P) how would one go about updating the firmware on a lens? I can't just plug an SD card into the lens, so I don't really know where to go from there.
Thanks,
-Dark
Same way you update the camera firmware, just use the down arrow to select Lens Firmware update in the menu.
01-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
Same way you update the camera firmware, just use the down arrow to select Lens Firmware update in the menu.
And I assume I get that from Pentax as well, makes sense since its their kit lens.
Thanks for the help.
01-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
Exactly right - download the lens firmware whether it be the 01 or 02 lens. With the lens firmware you do not have to extract the downloaded file - it is ready to load on your SD card as is. Then when you go to the firmware menu like systemA says, you will see an entry for the camera firmware and also the lens firmware - then just do the same as you did with the camera firmware. Just be sure you have the lens installed on the camera.

01-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've updated the camera firmware. What benefit do I get from updating the zoom or prime lens?

Charles.
01-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I've updated the camera firmware. What benefit do I get from updating the zoom or prime lens?

Charles.
The shutter is in the lens for the 01 and 02, there is also a chip in the lens that controls certain features like aperture, so updating the firmware for the lens can have as many benefits on the IQ as updating the firmware on the camera.
01-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wanted to get confirmation that the warranty could be purchased and applied to the Groupon deal and received a positive answer.
Here is the email for your info, I'm keeping it for my records.
-----------------------------
Dear Mr. Navarro,

Thank you for contacting PENTAX.

You can purchase a PENTAX Interchangeable Lens extended warranty (#80227) for the Q camera from a PENTAX dealer like B&H for up to 30 days after the camera purchase.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION /
PHONE: 800.234.0276 /800.877.0155 / BE INTERESTING. PENTAX

Your Email:
i have a question about the extended warranty program.
if i purchase an extended warranty mfr # 80227 from b&h does it apply to the pentax q when bought through this seller and offer: Pentax Q Camera Kit with Standard Lens Deal of the Day | Groupon
01-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #86
Veteran Member

I wanted to get confirmation that the warranty could be purchased and applied to the Groupon deal and received a positive answer.
Dear Mr. Navarro,

You can purchase a PENTAX Interchangeable Lens extended warranty (#80227) for the Q camera from a PENTAX dealer like B&H for up to 30 days after the camera purchase.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.

Your Email:
if i purchase an extended warranty mfr # 80227 from b&h does it apply to the pentax q when bought through this seller and offer: Pentax Q Camera Kit with Standard Lens Deal of the Day | Groupon
Thanks. That's been the answer over the past year+ - I just got one for my Groupon K-01 from B&H myself. Be sure to keep both receipts.
01-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mine is due to arrive tomorrow, via FedEx.
01-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #88
Riv

Dear Mr. Navarro,

Sincerely,
Randall S.

Your Email:
I figured you could, so I ordered one once I got the shipping email from groupon. But, now my question is where it the receipt from groupon? Did you get one with your Q? Wasn't nothing in the box, nor anything other than a shipping notice email from them...
01-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Riv Quote
I figured you could, so I ordered one once I got the shipping email from groupon. But, now my question is where it the receipt from groupon? Did you get one with your Q? Wasn't nothing in the box, nor anything other than a shipping notice email from them...
All your receipts for Groupon are on their website and you can download them in PDF. At least that is how mine are handled.
01-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #90
Riv

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
All your receipts for Groupon are on their website and you can download them in PDF. At least that is how mine are handled.
Cool, thanks I'll go look for it. 1st purchase from there, I didn't notice anything downloadable last time, but I was mostly just checking if their shoreman heard anything yet