Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can someone explain how to use Registax 6 with jpegs?

I'm trying to combine several individual shots of the moon made with my Q, but I can't figure this damn software out. Half the time the buttons are grayed out for no reason, and nothing i do makes it show me align points. It seems my only output option is an AVI file?!? I'm absolutely stumped.

Charles.

12-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may have better luck moving this to the software and PP forum. Never heard of that software.
12-30-2012, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I've only used it superficially, but also started off battling until I came across this post which might help out https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/1963...em-solved.html

Hope it helps you.
12-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

There are also several fairy active astrophotography threads going also, that you could post to.Here are some additional items... Heck - here is the google results....

12-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
I've only used it superficially, but also started off battling until I came across this post which might help out https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/1963...em-solved.html

Hope it helps you.
Cheers!

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I'm trying to combine several individual shots of the moon made with my Q, but I can't figure this damn software out. Half the time the buttons are grayed out for no reason, and nothing i do makes it show me align points. It seems my only output option is an AVI file?!? I'm absolutely stumped.

Charles.
You should be able to stack jpgs of images just fine, as Ive managed to do it before with some simple 8mp images from my mom-in-laws superzoom. Ive only ever used Registax to stack still images and not video files. There are a few things that Ive discovered (some mentioned in my original post) that will send Registax into a cardiac arrest and give me all sorts of errors:

1 - File size, especially when playing with RAW files makes a difference. If possible, crop your images to be 6MP or less. Ive stacked 8 MP JPEGs with no issues, so Im sure overall file size (including 12 bit/14 bit RAW vs 8 bit JPEG, compression, etc) also has an impact. As my computer is a bit older, users with newer computers may have better results with larger files.
2 - Image drift. When using Registax for stacking subjects in motion across the frame (like the moon) the amount of drift of the subject from frame to frame makes a critical difference. In a 6 MP image (3000 x 2000) even a horizontal drift of 10% or 300px will cause the program to hang when you try to align the images. I solve this problem by cropping the images, and making sure that when I do, I place a particular highlight (such as a visible crater) on one of the intersection points of a thirds/grid line when I crop. That way when I stack all of my images, that particular highlight is always within a handful of px on each image.
3 - Image size. Every image must be the same size dimensionally...down to the last damn pixel. If you are stacking images that are 3000 x 2000, having one image in the bunch that is 3001 x 2000 will cause the software to hang.

So, for me, before I begin Registax, I pull each of my images into lightroom. I determine how much cropping I can do to make sure that the file size is small enough and that if Im stacking RAW, my image size is under 6 MP. Then, I crop each image, making sure that I crop them in the same place each time, so that I dont run into image drift issues. Then I export them (for me usually as .TIF files) and open Registax. It takes me more time to prep the images for stacking than it does to stack them. Once I have a stacked image in Registax, I save it as a .TIF file and pull it back into Lightroom, and do the fine detail editing.

If you can post some screenshots of the issues, I may be able to take a look and trouble shoot further. Im personally waiting for a nice clear night to take my Q and K adapter out for some astrophotography tests. Stacking images, plus the amazing reach of the Q should make for some amazing images!
12-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've played with it some more, and found it takes 100% of my CPU, and I thought it had crashed. But I left it alone and it finished eventually.

So, the things I don't get are:

1) How can I selectively remove or include frames in the stack, inside of registax?
2) The sliders seem to make the image sharper, I guess by sharpening each layer individually? but you didn't go over using them at all. What's more, unchecking a layer doesn't remove it from the stack... so what does unchecking a layer do? If I uncheck all layers I should get a blank image, but that doesn't happen, so I'm confused.

I did independently find that I need to crop for image drift before using registax, but I didn't SEEM to run into a 6 megapixel. But I was only stacking 8 3000x3000 pixel images.

I did notice that my resolution was poor, but seeing was terrible that night. After cropping my moon shots I ran them through a slideshow, and I could see the moon changing shape as the slideshow progressed. I was also using a Tokina 500mm mirror (on my Q), which is a little soft to begin with. After exporting and then doing a little editing in Paint Shop Pro to bring the exposure up to where I wanted it, I reduced image size by 50% and then blew it back up 200% and compared to the original, and couldn't see any difference. So I ended up with a 1500x1500 pixel moon. I don't think this is a 6 megapixel limit, I think it's the lens and poor seeing conditions. But I could be wrong...

Charles.
12-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I've played with it some more, and found it takes 100% of my CPU, and I thought it had crashed. But I left it alone and it finished eventually.

So, the things I don't get are:

1) How can I selectively remove or include frames in the stack, inside of registax?
2) The sliders seem to make the image sharper, I guess by sharpening each layer individually? but you didn't go over using them at all. What's more, unchecking a layer doesn't remove it from the stack... so what does unchecking a layer do? If I uncheck all layers I should get a blank image, but that doesn't happen, so I'm confused.

I did independently find that I need to crop for image drift before using registax, but I didn't SEEM to run into a 6 megapixel. But I was only stacking 8 3000x3000 pixel images.

I did notice that my resolution was poor, but seeing was terrible that night. After cropping my moon shots I ran them through a slideshow, and I could see the moon changing shape as the slideshow progressed. I was also using a Tokina 500mm mirror (on my Q), which is a little soft to begin with. After exporting and then doing a little editing in Paint Shop Pro to bring the exposure up to where I wanted it, I reduced image size by 50% and then blew it back up 200% and compared to the original, and couldn't see any difference. So I ended up with a 1500x1500 pixel moon. I don't think this is a 6 megapixel limit, I think it's the lens and poor seeing conditions. But I could be wrong...

Charles.
1 - Ill have to double check on removing frames from the stacking inside of Registax. I usually do the weeding out of bad frames before I load them into Registax...usually during the cropping process.
2 - The wavelet sliders are the final touch, and the step that creates the biggest difference in stacking. They are levels of sharpening and noise reduction that get applied to the final image. There are 6 different wavelet sliders and how many you use (and how aggressively you use them) makes all the difference. I have some presets set up on my computer at home, but since Im at work, Ill have to post them here later. Make sure you check the box that indicates using Linked Wavelets. My personal experience is that I only utilize one wavelet slider per 10 images stacked. So 2-10 images is 1 slider, 11-20 images is 2 sliders, 21-30 images is 3 sliders, etc. Ive found that If I try to get too fancy with the wavelets without enough base images stacked, I get oversharpened images that look like crap when exported. Again, this is all personal preference though...