Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Which adapter

Hi guys i was wanting a zoom lens and saw these and wondered if i choose one of these which adapter would i need

Amazon.com: Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax and Samsung SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Pentax DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED Lens for Pentax and Samsung Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

probly not the second one so much because too much for me, i'm looking for a good zoom lens for when i go on vaction, something not to exspensive i'm on a budget.

So if someone else has a better suggestion i'm open.

12-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can get a second hand (like new) DA L 55-300mm for much less than the DA version, so that's what I'd recommend getting. Check the marketplace to see if there are any for sale!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Since you are going to be mounting it to an adapter that doesn't have AF, you can save yourself some money by buying a manual focus lens. The Q has a crop factor of 5.62 so a 300 mm lens becomes a 1600mm equivalent and diffraction will be a major concern. A much shorter zoom should be more than enough, something like a 35-70

SMC Pentax-M 35-70mm F2.8-3.5 Reviews - M Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
12-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi backdrop001,

I'd agree with Adam about the DA L 55-300. It's the same optically as the standard DA 55-300, and the Pentax zoom is the best of the bunch IMO.

To actually answer the question at the head of this thread, you'd need an adapter with an aperture control on it. Neither of these lenses has an aperture ring on the lens, and this causes the aperture blades to close down when the lens is removed from the camera. On the Q, an aperture control ring is needed on the adapter in order to shoot at wider apertures.

Fotodiox makes K to Q adapters both with and without the aperture ring, so you have to be careful to order the right one.

Amazon.com: Fotodiox 11LA-PK-PK-Q-new Lens Mount Adapter with Aperture Dial, Pentax K/PK Lens to Pentax Q-Series Camera Fits Pentax Q Mirrorless Cameras: Camera & Photo

RJ also makes one

RJ Pentax PK PK A AF Da Lens to Pentax Q Adapter with Tripod Mount Aperture Ring | eBay

These seem to be ones that most users have, there's probably little or no difference in quality between them.

FYI, the Pentax K toQ adapter is by far the best, but it's pricey. It's got a leaf shutter built into the adapter as well as an infinitely adjustable aperture control. There are specific reasons why these features are desirable, but I won't go into them here, they've been thoroughly discussed in other threads about adapters in this forum, and are easy enough to find.

Scott

12-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
ok thanks adam, i'll wait and see if it goes on sale, i am gonna check the marketplace next i did look on amazon just to see and it looked like they were in the 300 range which is a little to pricey for me.

So i'll wait for a sale or try to figure out an alternative, i'm a newbie at this stuff.