Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
dumb question # 25 : how do i save an altered jpeg image ?

after messing around and getting an image the way i want it , i see no way to ' save as ' or whatever in this Q software, anyone know how to do that simply ? thanks

12-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it saves itself!
12-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
where ? i can't find it .
12-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

did you alter it and press ok?

12-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
where's the ok ? i'll look , but didn't see anywhere to click ok or save - do i just close the whole program and it gets saved as the new jpeg and does it keep the original as is ? where does the new altered image go ? to it's own folder somewhere? oh well
12-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

wait a minute, what program are you using? I thought you altered it in camera.
12-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #7

Original Poster
using the sikypix program that came with the q-- i guess it's ok, but kinda different from the pentax digital camera utility which i like, this q program is confusing to me. but then what isn't...........

12-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

What you want is "development" - it is in the top menu bar, or when you right click on the image, choose "development". Then in the box that pops up, choose your destination and hit "save".

Silkypix Developer Studio is more tuned to developing raw images - after altering a raw image, you want to develop it in their words.

I just tried a jpeg in Developer Studio, and it works just fine.
12-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #9

Original Poster
ok, i click on the image , click on development , and get a save as box, a little confusing as to where exactly i'm saving the image to , but i'll go with that, see where that takes me. thanks. another thing, how do i get rid of that suffix from the silkypix program .sdv or whatever that is -- maybe this save as box gets rid of that ? we'll see.
12-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ok - here is the window you see after clicking on "development".

Starting from the top - This is where you choose to save your image. It will usually default to where the original image came from before you edit it.

The the box for "File Name" - this is what the saved file name will be. If you have not changed this, when you go to save the image, it will tell you that the image already exists and if you want to replace it.

Next below is "File Type" which should default to "jpg".

The rest of the options you can just leave the way they are, or change them to your liking. Then all you have to do is hit the "Save" button and that is it. So basically, if you don't want to do anything else with your image - once you get this window open, you can just hit the "save" button. This all works the same for batch processing also.

I have no idea where you are getting the .sdv suffix.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:19 AM.
12-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #11

Original Poster
hey, thank you for the explanation and the screen shot, that helps very much, i can figure this out now ( that you showed me thanks. the file suffix on some of the images is .SPD instead of jpeg or whatever, and i could not do anything with them. maybe it was saving the images as a native silkypix software file, but couldn't open them or preview them in windows either. this helps.
01-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #12

Original Poster
SPD files

attached two pics of these SPD files that show up when i save a q image from the silkypix developer software that comes with the q and i have to use instead of the pentax camera utility, i can save the image now as a regular jpeg, but also this other file shows up too- nothing happens when i try to open it with any software that i have so far including the silkypix developer, won't let me do anything with it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
01-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
attached two pics of these SPD files that show up when i save a q image from the silkypix developer software that comes with the q and i have to use instead of the pentax camera utility, i can save the image now as a regular jpeg, but also this other file shows up too- nothing happens when i try to open it with any software that i have so far including the silkypix developer, won't let me do anything with it.
Ok - I know what that is. When you edit an image in Developer Studio, it is saving the editing parameters in a separate file, and that is what that SPD file is.

I just tried the following myself to help explain what it does - at least this is how I think it works........

I edited a Q file in Developer Studio, and saved it as a jpeg. After saving, I have my edited jpeg plus the SPD file.

Now when I open that same file that I just edited, it will show me the edited file that I just did. If I edit more on the same image, I am editing on top of the original edit.

Now instead, I have opened that same image that I just edited. next go to "file" then choose "load development parameter" - there you can choose any of the development settings that you used for any of the images listed. Let's say you like what you did with image #222.jpg - now you are working on a different image, let's say image #333.jpg. When you have image #333.jpg loaded in the program, and you want to use the same exact editing parameters you used on image #222.jpg, you click on "file", then "load development parameter", then in the list, choose #222.spd". When you do that, all the same edits you did to image #222.jpg will be applied to image #333.jpg automatically.

Confused yet - I think I am.......

But - if you want to get rid of the program saving the development parameter for every image you edit, you can do this:

When you are saving your next image, after you hit the "development" for the image you are working on, you will see this screen:

In the middle of the right side of that window, hit the "setting" button. That will bring you this window:

The upper right of this window is "Option for jpeg/tiff" - the second check box says "Discard Silkypix parameters and image information". Notice I have this box checked in my screen shot. This will stop that separate SPD file from being saved.

Actually I'm glad you brought this up - I have just been deleting those SPD files as I go along. As I was doing this little tutorial, I learned about being able to not save that SPD file myself - just on little check box!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:21 AM.
01-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #14

Original Poster
ok, i THINK i follow you ok on this, i'll have to read the part -and experiment with that same part - about applying the development parameter to another image, but guess it's fairly straightforward, at least , once again as you have explained it--- thanks a lot stormtech/ stan. take me three lifetimes to figure out these processing programs-- i don't know how you figure all this out
01-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
ok, i THINK i follow you ok on this, i'll have to read the part -and experiment with that same part - about applying the development parameter to another image, but guess it's fairly straightforward, at least , once again as you have explained it--- thanks a lot stormtech/ stan. take me three lifetimes to figure out these processing programs-- i don't know how you figure all this out
You're welcome. Actually I learn as I go since this kind of stuff intrigues me.

Long story short from above - if you don't want Developer Studio to save those extra files, just do what I said in the last two screen shots.