Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #1

Help white spot on videos/ photos

Help.

There seems to be this white spot on the screen when taking photos/ videos.
Its more visible in dark photos more so in dark videos.
I tried cleaning the sensor with the built in function and I also tried pixel mapping but no luck.
The white spot also moves when you take videos.

Attached Images

01-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
Riv

Photos: Albums
Hi, pixel mapping won't help if it's on the screen nor cleaning for that matter. Is it showing in the pictures when viewed off camera?

From how you write it, it sounds like it's the rear LCD. Which could happen to any LCD device, but you say it moves when taking video? Are you saying that if you shoot a video with the camera still, not handheld the dot moves around the screen?
01-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, it does show on photos off screen but it is very hard to spot. No it doesn't move if the camera is still you have move it then the dot would also move.
01-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
Riv

OK, so it is the sensor then. Odd that sensor mapping didn't catch it. How long have you had it? And have you tried updating the firmware, then mapping the sensor again?

01-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
About 3 weeks only. The firmware is already the latest. Could it be a factory defect?? The screen also has 2 dead pixels. Ive never dropped it too.
01-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #6
Riv

I'd try to exchange it, many places are 30 days for exchanges.
01-02-2013, 02:21 AM   #7

Original Poster
The store where I got it only has a week for exchange / replacement. So no luck with that.

01-02-2013, 02:30 AM   #8
Riv

OK, that leaves you with sending it in for service. Pentax can map the sensor easy enough but the rear LCD will likely need to be replaced. They may just replace the camera, if they have any left after the groupon blowout.
01-02-2013, 02:34 AM   #9

Original Poster
I think that promo is only for the US.
01-02-2013, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Hi nave,

If these are not hot pixels (you'd see them in normally exposed stills), then they would not normally be mapped out, I would think. If these were long exposures in a dark room, I'd think that they would be considered noise (within "normal" tolerance of pixel output variation), and possibly might be eliminated by dark frame subtraction NR. This does not explain the video performance though, because the exposures would have to be shorter. The reason it moved around in video when you moved the camera was probably because you had SR on, and the sensor was moving in relation to the frame to compensate for camera shake.

If you only have a few dead pixels on the LCD, I doubt that manufacturer will replace it under warranty. They all have a threshold under mfg tolerance, and I don't think that a few will qualify -- I'd call Pentax CS and ask before sending it in. No sense in paying the shipping if nothing will be done.

I understand wanting perfection in a new product, but you have to be realistic, it's unlikely that you'll always get it, and you have to learn to live with it. I had a prominent hot pixel in the middle of the frame with my first Q, and I decided to wait until I had over 500 exposures before I would map the sensor to see if others would start showing up. After about 100, the single hot pixel disappeared, and no more appeared. I won't say that your sensor problem will fix itself, but it actually could. . .

I feel your frustration, but I think that you'll find that these minor defects probably won't adversely effect the great majority of your images, since the most prominent dot is at the bottom of the frame, and only is prominent if the area surrounding it is essentially black, which won't really be a problem unless the majority of your shots are that dark at the bottom.

Personally, I've stopped testing for hot or dead pixels, and only become concerned if they actually effect the images I take. I've found that not expecting perfection in a mass production world is a good strategy for me as stress negatively effects my health. I was a strong "A" type personality throughout my youth, and all it got me was a near fatal heart attack at 43 (I was actually clinically dead for over 20 minutes). That was 19 years ago, and demanding perfection became a lot less important for me at that time.
YMMV -- I won't presume to tell you what to do. . .

Scott
01-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #11

Original Poster
I wasn't really looking for dead pixels. I just took a photo during the night then I saw it.
I called pentax cs(btw I live in the Philippines) they told me to bring it over but I'll just take your advice and leave it be.
I only have about a hundred exposures with this. I hope it fixes itself.

Thanks for your reply .