Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #1

AF260 on pentax Q

Hi,

I am new here, hope you do not mind if I start directly with a question.
I bought a pentax af260 flash that works as it is supposed to work on the k5 (it changes the aperture of the lens according the exposure), but it does not work on the Q (the same automatism does not actually work). I suspect that it is because the Q needs the flash to be disabled by menu to let an external flash to work. Does it make sense?

01-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi sebas77,

I'm a bit confused which model you have -- maybe an AF 360 FGZ?

If so, it's P-TTL, and should work with the Q in P-TTL mode. IIRC, the automatic zoom function won't work with the Q, but it should meter correctly.

With P-TTL flash, the aperture doesn't change to alter the exposure, the intensity and duration of the flash is modified to alter the exposure. With the Q, all of the flash menu choices should work with this flash as intended. If you turn the flash off in the menu, the flash will go full manual (the camera will no longer communicate with the flash, and it will fire at full power only). The only type of external flash that you need to turn flash off in the menu is for non-P TTL flash, so you might have this backward.

Try your flash in P-TTL mode (the default -- just turn it on) and with the flash menu in any but the last choice to the right, and it should work correctly. Use a fixed ISO, but just about any aperture/shutter speed combination, and you should get a reasonable exposure. -- Generally speaking, at the widest apertures (faster than f4) you might see a tendency to overexpose, and at smallest apertures (slower than f5.6), you might see some underexposure, but it all should be close. You can also tweak the exposure by using flash compensation.

Scott
01-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
this is the af260, it is an old (and cheap) no ttl flash

PENTAX AF 260Sa Flash + wide angle diffuser - Boxed -i Mint on eBay!
01-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi sebas77,

OK, I've never seen that flash -- and I'm pretty familiar with Pentax branded flashes. . . It's possible that they did not sell these in the US. This one's an Auto Thyristor flash, which means that it meters in the flash with no real communication with the body. This flash does indeed automatically set the shutter speed and aperture in Pentax SLRs from 1991 and on, but this won't work on the Q, you need to set the shutter speed and aperture manually. With the Q, you indeed have to use this flash with the flash turned off in the menu since it's not P-TTL. I would also set the ISO at a fixed setting.

If this flash works with your K-5, I would check the settings for aperture, ISO, and shutter speed where it exposes correctly with the K-5 and just set the Q up the same manually to use this flash (I would guess ISO 125, 1/180, f4). The range where the Auto exposure of the flash works is apparently between 1m-6.5m, but you might be able to vary this a bit by using higher ISO, though the meter in the flash will work less effectively the farther you go.

Scott