Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kivis Quote
Looking at this: Polaroid PL-108AF Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax at $49.
Polaroid PL-108AF Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax PL-108AF-PE B&H
This is interesting... Not many reviews at all out there on the web but does this really do TTL?
Since Pentax uses pTTL, would it mean that it wouldn't work? I don't see any manual power selection too..

Hmm...

05-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
Pentaxian

The Polaroid and pretty much all of the under $100 pTTL units are sourced from Tumax.

I picked up the Opteka EF-750 which is decently small, has bounce, and works reasonably well on the Q, K20D and K-01. Frankly, I tend to avoid using pre-flash TTL (even when shooting Canon which is more advanced TTL). No choice with the Q - external flash requires pTTL. The flash is not terribly well built (I added velcro to increase tension on the swivel so I could add a reflector system - otherwise it was too loose!). Exposures are particularly good when using a reflector or bounce, but tends to overexpose straight on (which I never use anyways). It is easy to overexpose - it seems you need to be within less than two stops of maximum output to get correct exposure. This probably has as much to do with Pentax flash system touchiness as a problem with the Opteka flash unit. Guide number is 85m (100 ISO) which is plenty for flash card use or low ceiling bounce.

I think I paid $30 at Newegg, which does not have it in stock now; but 47th St. Photo (very reputable) has a kit for $40 with diffuser, full pTTL coiled cord, rechargeable batteries and charger - which is a better deal yet. None of this is heavy duty stuff, but will work OK for occasional use (my need for flash is not extensive - especially when it comes to Pentax pTTL).
05-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kivis Quote
Looking at this: Polaroid PL-108AF Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax at $49.
Polaroid PL-108AF Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax PL-108AF-PE B&H
Tried this and returned it.