Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
40.5 to 37mm step down ring - how much vignetting?

Anyone ever used a 40.5 to 37mm step down ring to attach video lens attachments to the Q 02 zoom? How much vignetting can I expect?

01-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good question. I ordered one from Adorama but a computer glitch got me the 37 to 40.5 step-up ring instead. Helen fixed it for me but I haven't been able to use it because it arrived while I'm on vacation. I had a couple 37mm filters from an older video camera that ought to be useful.
01-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Anyone ever used a 40.5 to 37mm step down ring to attach video lens attachments to the Q 02 zoom? How much vignetting can I expect?
Hi GibbyTheMole,

I just tried it as I've got a step down to 37mm. There isn't any that I can see throughout the entire zoom range. I only checked it at wide open and looked through the LCD at the sky.

Be careful when adding relatively heavy add-ons to the lenses -- they were designed for very light weight, and are relatively fragile when it comes to hanging weight off the front. The zoom mechanism on the Q zooms is the most susceptible to damage this way as it seems that the helicoils are plastic.

A friend has been experimenting with some pretty heavy add ons with the 06 zoom, and he's told me that the zoom ring has gotten a bit sticky.

I've collected a few of the-best rated of these (all TCs), and when I get the step rings to mount them, I'll post some results.

Scott
01-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Be careful when adding relatively heavy add-ons to the lenses -- they were designed for very light weight, and are relatively fragile when it comes to hanging weight off the front.
Yep. I was gonna find the smallest. lightest 37mm video fisheye attachment & give it a try. Should work ok for that I would think. Is there a fisheye attachment you could recommend for use with the 02 zoom? I know I won't get the quality of the actual Pentax fisheye, but it'll be something to hold me over for awhile.

Thanks for the helpful info. Really digging the Q! (And I wound up picking one up for the missus. That didn't take long!)

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

01-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Yep. I was gonna find the smallest. lightest 37mm video fisheye attachment & give it a try. Should work ok for that I would think. Is there a fisheye attachment you could recommend for use with the 02 zoom? I know I won't get the quality of the actual Pentax fisheye, but it'll be something to hold me over for awhile.

Thanks for the helpful info. Really digging the Q! (And I wound up picking one up for the missus. That didn't take long!)

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
That sounds interesting. I have an ND8 in 37mm from Sony but until you mentioned the fisheye had forgotten that I have a Sony Wide Conversion Lens x0.6 in 37mm and a 37mm hood too. Now to get back and get the step-down ring and try them out on the Q. \

How is the wife liking her Q?
01-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
How is the wife liking her Q?
It hasn't been shipped yet. She's monopolizing mine, so I'd say she's digging it . :-)