Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,269
40.5 to 37mm step down ring - how much vignetting?

Anyone ever used a 40.5 to 37mm step down ring to attach video lens attachments to the Q 02 zoom? How much vignetting can I expect?

01-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Good question. I ordered one from Adorama but a computer glitch got me the 37 to 40.5 step-up ring instead. Helen fixed it for me but I haven't been able to use it because it arrived while I'm on vacation. I had a couple 37mm filters from an older video camera that ought to be useful.
01-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 1,535
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Anyone ever used a 40.5 to 37mm step down ring to attach video lens attachments to the Q 02 zoom? How much vignetting can I expect?
Hi GibbyTheMole,

I just tried it as I've got a step down to 37mm. There isn't any that I can see throughout the entire zoom range. I only checked it at wide open and looked through the LCD at the sky.

Be careful when adding relatively heavy add-ons to the lenses -- they were designed for very light weight, and are relatively fragile when it comes to hanging weight off the front. The zoom mechanism on the Q zooms is the most susceptible to damage this way as it seems that the helicoils are plastic.

A friend has been experimenting with some pretty heavy add ons with the 06 zoom, and he's told me that the zoom ring has gotten a bit sticky.

I've collected a few of the-best rated of these (all TCs), and when I get the step rings to mount them, I'll post some results.

Scott
01-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,269
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Be careful when adding relatively heavy add-ons to the lenses -- they were designed for very light weight, and are relatively fragile when it comes to hanging weight off the front.
Yep. I was gonna find the smallest. lightest 37mm video fisheye attachment & give it a try. Should work ok for that I would think. Is there a fisheye attachment you could recommend for use with the 02 zoom? I know I won't get the quality of the actual Pentax fisheye, but it'll be something to hold me over for awhile.

Thanks for the helpful info. Really digging the Q! (And I wound up picking one up for the missus. That didn't take long!)

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

01-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Yep. I was gonna find the smallest. lightest 37mm video fisheye attachment & give it a try. Should work ok for that I would think. Is there a fisheye attachment you could recommend for use with the 02 zoom? I know I won't get the quality of the actual Pentax fisheye, but it'll be something to hold me over for awhile.

Thanks for the helpful info. Really digging the Q! (And I wound up picking one up for the missus. That didn't take long!)

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
That sounds interesting. I have an ND8 in 37mm from Sony but until you mentioned the fisheye had forgotten that I have a Sony Wide Conversion Lens x0.6 in 37mm and a 37mm hood too. Now to get back and get the step-down ring and try them out on the Q. \

How is the wife liking her Q?
01-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,269
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
How is the wife liking her Q?
It hasn't been shipped yet. She's monopolizing mine, so I'd say she's digging it . :-)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, mirrorless, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q10, q7, step
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CP filter or step-down ring? voyager13 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 08-13-2012 10:51 AM
step down ring or step up ring ? dh4412 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 04-14-2012 04:39 AM
Purpose-Step-down Ring Sigma 50-500 bezuidar Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 07-21-2011 04:09 AM
43mm to 42mm Step Down ring? goldenarrow Ask B&H Photo! 6 06-02-2010 09:30 PM
Step up or Step down ring for FA 50mm f1.4 and filters. Xcom Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 4 05-11-2009 11:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:09 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top