Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zany225 Quote
I heard about a "baby death" from Bower. It's a fisheye converter and looks big! It front element size is 77mm! Curious about quality of it but with $60... ... half price of the 03 still sounds ok to grab????
I don't know much about the Bower, but I can give some background on the phrase "baby death". I did some research into 37mm lens attachments last year because I have a Lensbaby 2.0 which has a 37mm front filter thread. Turns out 37mm was a common filter thread for digital camcorders, which typically have integrated lenses and thus need to use thread-mounted lens adapters for things like fisheye. The skateboarding community very commonly films with fisheye lenses in order to get close to the action while retaining a wide field of view and deep depth of field. Century Optics, a division of Schneider Optics, came out with a very well regarded 37mm fisheye adapter that was nicknamed "baby death" by the skateboarder community because it did such a great job for their videos. This unnofficial moniker was later adopted in the product nomenclature of inexpensive (Bower, Opteka, etc.) 37mm fisheye adapters of lesser quality, in an attempt to attract the more price-conscious contingency of the skateboarding community. So believe it or not, but $60 is a very inexpensive "baby death" 37mm fisheye.

01-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something that big could be heavy and might tax the Q prime's mount, perhaps?
01-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
I don't know much about the Bower, but I can give some background on the phrase "baby death". I did some research into 37mm lens attachments last year because I have a Lensbaby 2.0 which has a 37mm front filter thread. Turns out 37mm was a common filter thread for digital camcorders, which typically have integrated lenses and thus need to use thread-mounted lens adapters for things like fisheye. The skateboarding community very commonly films with fisheye lenses in order to get close to the action while retaining a wide field of view and deep depth of field. Century Optics, a division of Schneider Optics, came out with a very well regarded 37mm fisheye adapter that was nicknamed "baby death" by the skateboarder community because it did such a great job for their videos. This unnofficial moniker was later adopted in the product nomenclature of inexpensive (Bower, Opteka, etc.) 37mm fisheye adapters of lesser quality, in an attempt to attract the more price-conscious contingency of the skateboarding community. So believe it or not, but $60 is a very inexpensive "baby death" 37mm fisheye.
Thanks for your info, Nater. That's so interesting!

I don't think I would go with it. $60 too much to pay for non-pentax branded stuffs. After consideration, if I want fisheye then 03 lens should be the most candidate. For me, fun thing of Q is trying to find something cheap to play with.
01-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erich_H Quote
Hi - this is some cross posted samples from two C-mount zoom lenses [1,6/4-10 mm] & [1,6/2,8-12mm]
Your pics look really good. I think I want one of those 2.8-12mm lenses. I contacted the seller about shipping via a cheaper method. We'll see what happens.

One thing that appeals to me about this one is that unlike the Pentax fisheye, it goes from wide fisheye to 67mm equivalent on the Q. That's pretty versatile, and could even be used as a walkaround lens.

01-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Do you have a link to where I could get those lenses? Especially the wider of the two.
Hi - here's the link to the 4-10mm:
2 Mega Pixel 4 10mm Manual Iris F1.6 C Mount CCTV Lens Mega Pixel Lens KEV0410MCHR-in CCTV Lenses from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com

Schematic of lens:

Picture of lens:

Thanks/Erik
01-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Hi - here's the link to the 4-10mm:
Thanks, Erich! I ordered the 2.8-12mm lens. Taken any non-fisheye shots with it yet? How do you like it? I'm hoping with it's focal length range, it'll make a good walkaround lens for the Q.
01-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I have a 5mm F/1.4 Computar C-mount lens that impressed me. I never did end up finding a buyer for it. Still sitting in a box on my desk.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/expired-listings/195617-sale-expired-pent...rs-lenses.html
01-17-2013, 03:16 AM   #38

Q boldly goes where no other qamera has gone before!

Thanks, Erich! I ordered the 2.8-12mm lens. Taken any non-fisheye shots with it yet? How do you like it? I'm hoping with it's focal length range, it'll make a good walkaround lens for the Q.
Hiya Gibby! Hope they treat you well. I really haven't tried any other focal lengths except the widest settings - but these
I think are OK for the price. I usually just keep another lens in my pocket if I get some tele hankering, like the 1.4/25mm
(I like this - it's like a 135mm - nice short tele) or the 1.7/35mm (like a 180mm - but I like the color rendition on this one),
because I think it's easier to swap the lens than start fiddling with C-mount varifocal settings.
And it's super fun to use at the wide setting anyway...

Below are two links to some more information/piccies about/from those two longer lenses:

First a little 1.7/35mm:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/206633-pentax-q-cmount-lenses-re...ml#post2187105

Then some 1.4/25mm, which has been put to other uses recently...:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/200947-how-about-tilt-shift-adap...ml#post2235462

But the optics I use most nowadays is this converter which is the closest to a real fish eye (like the Peleng) I've got for Q.
Sometimes the laziness of full AUTO wins out:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/210949-0-5x-wide-angel-attachment-c-mount-wide-angle-post2231222.html#post2231222

I think I know how this will continue, though. I've never tried to take pictures through a door eye....

Thanks/Erik

Last edited by Erich_H; 01-18-2013 at 02:56 AM.
01-17-2013, 03:19 AM   #39

Broken Link

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I have a 5mm F/1.4 Computar C-mount lens that impressed me. I never did end up finding a buyer for it. Still sitting in a box on my desk.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/expired-listings/195617-sale-expired-pent...rs-lenses.html
Hi - I can't look at your link - I haven't the rights, obviously....
otherwise I might have an interest in this, maybe...
Thanks/Erik
01-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Erich_H: The Fujian 35mm looks like a great little lens. I'm gonna have to pick one of those up. What about C-mount tele zooms in the 18-55mm (100-300 on the Q) realm? Any decent ones?
01-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #41

C-mount 1.4/50mm

Erich_H: The Fujian 35mm looks like a great little lens. I'm gonna have to pick one of those up.
What about C-mount tele zooms in the 18-55mm (100-300 on the Q) realm? Any decent ones?
Sorry - I've (besides the 3 obvious C-mounts: 1.4/25mm - 1.7/35mm - 1.4/50mm) been most interested in the wide angle part of
the C-mount universe. Honestly, if I myself should look for something like this, I'd look for a cheap 02.
The varifocal zoom function in the C-mounts make it impossible to take snapshots. So you'll have to plan ahead...
The guys with the 2.8-12 zoom also sell the above lenses in either the standard black or (unusual) chrome versions.
The black ones look best on my Q, but the silver ones look super on a white Q (or chrome Oly).
The 50mm (eq. 275 mm) I haven't used as much as the shorter ones, but I think its compact size makes it worth its while,
even if you've got a dozen other 50mm:s (as most of us probably have; K-mounts/M42, etc.).

Some examples from 1.4/50mm (jpeg straight out of camera):

It's not too shabby...thanks/Erik

Last edited by Erich_H; 01-17-2013 at 08:22 AM.
01-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I'd look for a cheap 02.
Yep. Got that one already. It's the one that came with my Q. I'm quite fond of it, actually. It's just not very "tele". (It's a 28-80 equivalent on the Q.)

I'm looking for a cheaper compact alternative to the 06 tele zoom. I don't have a problem with an all-manual lens, since I use K-mount lenses on it with an adapter & focus peaking helps a lot in focusing. The varifocal thing isn't a big deal to me either. I can just pick the focal length first & focus when I compose the shot. My 18-55 Pentax DA is exactly the focal range I'm looking for (100-300 equiv. on the Q) but it's larger than I'd like, and it's kinda soft on the Q.

I'm just looking for something that's optically good in that 18-55 (100-300) range, and small... so I don't have a big honkin' K lens hanging off it. Otherwise, my Pentax 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 lenses make a good 250mm equivalent tele on the Q. But no zoom/varifocal operation.

Thanks for your help! :-)
01-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #43

Yep. Got that one already. It's the one that came with my Q. I'm quite fond of it, actually. It's just not very "tele". (It's a 28-80 equivalent on the Q.)

I'm looking for a cheaper compact alternative to the 06 tele zoom. I don't have a problem with an all-manual lens, since I use K-mount lenses on it with an adapter & focus peaking helps a lot in focusing. The varifocal thing isn't a big deal to me either. I can just pick the focal length first & focus when I compose the shot. My 18-55 Pentax DA is exactly the focal range I'm looking for (100-300 equiv. on the Q) but it's larger than I'd like, and it's kinda soft on the Q.

I'm just looking for something that's optically good in that 18-55 (100-300) range, and small... so I don't have a big honkin' K lens hanging off it. Otherwise, my Pentax 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 lenses make a good 250mm equivalent tele on the Q. But no zoom/varifocal operation.

Thanks for your help! :-)
Misunderstood you here - I thought you wanted something like the 02 in C-mount.
I've seen some C-mount zoom lenses in the ranges 5-50mm and 5-100mm but I haven't seen them in the flesh...

[Edit: Only they weren't C-mount, they were CS..but I found this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-50mm-Vari-focal-Manual-Iris-CCTV-Lens-TV-Le...619966649.html]

Thanks/Erik

Last edited by Erich_H; 01-17-2013 at 11:25 AM.
01-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Hi - I can't look at your link - I haven't the rights, obviously....
otherwise I might have an interest in this, maybe...
Thanks/Erik
Not sure why that's not showing up. Quoting myself here:
5mm F/1.4 Computar Megapixel lens $90
I found this on ebay not knowing what it was. I then found it it actually sells new for almost $200 online. This is definitely sharper than the 6mm Pentax lens. This lens is pretty sharp at F/1.4 and really sharp stopped down a bit. It also has better resolution and good control of distortions for such a wide lens. Here is a link to photos taken with this lens at F/1.4
Dim Sum fish dumpling | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
shaken | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Hopefully you can see photos from expired listings, I'm linking it below.

Last edited by devorama; 01-17-2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: added another link
01-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Not sure why that's not showing up. Quoting myself here:
5mm F/1.4 Computar Megapixel lens $90
I found this on ebay not knowing what it was. I then found it it actually sells new for almost $200 online. This is definitely sharper than the 6mm Pentax lens. This lens is pretty sharp at F/1.4 and really sharp stopped down a bit. It also has better resolution and good control of distortions for such a wide lens. Here is a link to photos taken with this lens at F/1.4
Dim Sum fish dumpling | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
shaken | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Hopefully you can see photos from expired listings, I'm linking it below.
"Dear Erich_H, you do not have permission to access this page or feature." -
message on expired link also, obviously - or maybe it's me - I haven't paid up (yet...) so I can't use the market place.
But - I checked the lens on Ebay and they wanted something like 160 bucks for it and that's exactly how much the Pentax FE would be (in my area)...
The last of the pics (shaken) gives a really good impression of the Computar, though!
Thanks/Erik