Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #16
Inactive Account

The Rainbow 3.5mm can be had cheap for $20 - 40 bucks, just make sure you get the 'H35WI' model along with manual aperture control!

(DO NOT get the H35CSWI model - which is for CS mount and will NOT focus with any C to Q adapter!!!)

It's compact and light, just screw it into your C mount to Q adapter and you're ready to go!
It's almost as wide as the 03, but not as sharp, has significant barrel distortion, but it is not a fisheye. For $20 it's a no-brainer.

Pros:
Very fast, good sharpness in the center. Covers entire Q sensor. Focuses from infinity to ridiculously close allowing interesting angles! Great choice for B&W mode especially & indoors. Fun lens and good for video!!

Cons:
VERY prone to flare, you should get a hood for it and/or shade with your left hand. Not the sharpest lens, but will do OK if you bump up sharpness setting in Q, maybe also in PP. In color, sometimes you'll get that 'TV lens' look with some color blooming. Use it in B&W mode if it bothers you.

01-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Erich,

Nice!

FEs and cats are a natural. The first thing I did when I got my 03 was to stick it in my cats' faces. Now they hate the Q also. . .

Scott
He doesn't even move when he's tired of me - he just puts his paw over his eyes...
thanks/Erik
01-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I'm going the C mount route but have had problems finding cctv C mount lenses. I have ordered 5 C mount lenses, I was very specific in what I wanted and meticulous when ordering but still received 4 CS mount and only one c mount. The 4mm C mount I did get is usable but I really want a 2.5 mm. I did keep a CS 2.5. I am hoping to alter a D to Q adapter it has a very close flange distance to the CS 0.5mm closer but has a 5/8 thread. I just need to find somebody to drill it out for me, (I'm not at home) and add a shim assuming the Q body lens contacts don't interfere with the lens. I will post how it works out. The D to Q adapter was only $8 so I may just glue the lens into the adapter after it's drilled.

Hans
I've been thinking of using a body cap to try to adapt CS-lenses, but I only have the original caps, so I'll have to find some 3rd party ones to experiment with - easier to make the opening for the lens, then fit it and super-glue it.
Note: If using cyano acrylate glue [super-glue], ventilate well, or the gas exuding from the glue when it's drying can adhere to the back element of the lens. Believe me, it's a bitch to remove...
I've done this with some Carousel lenses for a [name withheld] DX-sensor camera to make semi-macro-lenses.
I think the optical flange distance would be about right for CS on a body cap , with some padding maybe...thanks/Erik

Last edited by Erich_H; 01-08-2013 at 08:35 AM.
01-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erich_H Quote
I've been thinking of using a body cap to try to adapt CS-lenses, but I only have the original caps, so I'll have to find some 3rd party ones to experiment with - easier to make the opening for the lens, then fit it and super-glue it.
Note: If using cyano acrylate glue [super-glue], ventilate well, or the gas exuding from the glue when it's drying can adhere to the back element of the lens. Believe me, it's a bitch to remove...
I've done this with some Carousel lenses for a [name withheld] DX-sensor camera to make semi-macro-lenses.
I think the optical flange distance would be about right for CS on a body cap , with some padding maybe...thanks/Erik
For a better permanent solution try drilling out a D to Q adapter see my link below, I wish I could have found a machine shop with a 1-32 UN tap then I would have a usable adapter for any CS lens. I just e mailed Photodiox and asked if they could produce one.

Hans

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/211126-cctv-2-5mm-cs.html

Last edited by hnikesch; 01-08-2013 at 05:38 PM.
01-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #20

For a better permanent solution try drilling out a D to Q adapter see my link below, I wish I could have found a machine shop with a 1-32 UN tap then I would have a usable adapter for any CS lens. I just e mailed Photodiox and asked if they could produce one.

Hans

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/211126-cctv-2-5mm-cs.html
The CS-lenses I bought were all for 1/3" sensors and varied in price between
US$ 9.63 (zoom 3.5-8 mm), US$ 8.99 (f1.2/4 mm) and US$ 3.50 (the f1.2/2.8 mm fixed focus)
so I don't think it will be cost effective for me with the lenses I own to use your solution.
For now I'm using my 1/2" sensor size f1.6/2.8-12 mm C-mount (US$ 44.50) for manual almost fishy wide angle stuf.
Link below:

[High resolution varifocal 2.8 12mm 2 megapixel c mount lens-in CCTV Lenses from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com]

I'm also going to try out board mount [12*0.5]. I've seen a f1.6/2.8-12 mm for US$ 10.10!
This lens looks the same that I paid 44 bucks for in C, except sensor size which is 1/3" for the cheapie.
It's a super nice post though, and if I get something more interesting in CS
(shorter focal length - I'd like something in the one mm range...but I'll try a door eye next, methinks...)
I'm using your recipe for sure! thanks/Erik

Last edited by Erich_H; 01-16-2013 at 07:37 AM.
01-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #21
Veteran Member

For now I'm using my 1/2" sensor size f1.6/2.8-12 mm C-mount (US$ 44.50) for manual almost fishy wide angle stuf.
That zoom looks interesting I will keep a lookout for your posts with it.

Hans
01-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #22

Is that website ok to deal with? I heard bad reviews a lot with them, Aliexpress.com. They don't have paypal and never refunded money to customer.

The CS-lenses I bought were all for 1/3" sensors and varied in price between
US$ 9.63 (zoom 3.5-8 mm), US$ 8.99 (f1.2/4 mm) and US$ 3.50 (the f1.2/2.8 mm fixed focus)
so I don't think it will be cost effective for me with the lenses I own to use your solution.
Link below:

[High resolution varifocal 2.8 12mm 2 megapixel c mount lens-in CCTV Lenses from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com]

I'm also going to try out board mount [12*0.5]. I've seen a f1.6/2.8-12 mm for US$ 10.10!
This lens looks the same that I paid 44 bucks for in C, except sensor size which is 1/3" for the cheapie.
It's a super nice post though, and if I get something more interesting in CS
(shorter focal length - I'd like something in the one mm range...but I'll try a door eye next, methinks...)
I'm using your recipe for sure! thanks/Erik

01-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #23

4mm & 2,8mm C-mounts [Zoom lenses at wide setting]

That zoom looks interesting I will keep a lookout for your posts with it.

Hans
Hi - this is some cross posted samples from two C-mount zoom lenses [1,6/4-10 mm] & [1,6/2,8-12mm]:
All PP in camera - just downscaled to 1024x. Both lenses cover the Q sensor at full wide setting. Significant barrel distortion on both at full wide setting.
To be honest I haven't really used these lenses at longer settings than full wide. I tried them [Click!], checked them [Yes, there is a picture!],
then I fastened the zoom at full wide. Cheap Chinese C-mount zoom lenses are a pain (read: impossible) to use the same way as for instance
you would the 02 or 06 or any other "normal" zoom... Everytime you change focal length you will also have to refocus...
no more zooming to tele to set focus, then back out to take pic.
Sometimes even changing the aperture makes me have to refocus (yes, the same focus point as before changing f-stop, not a bokeh issue).
So I'll just leave them at the wide setting.

The lenses look like this [2.8-12mm: weight 140 grammes / 4-10mm: weight 85 grammes]:

Re above see the following quote (thanks to Nater for this clarification!):
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
A lens that changes focus point when zooming is called a varifocal lens (there are even some K-mount zoom lenses that are varifocal, though it is not that common). Most manual focus DSLR zoom lenses are parfocal, i.e. they retain the focus point while zooming. There is extra optical design work needed to make a lens parfocal, which is why it's less common with CCTV lenses (and some AF lenses, since it's not as important to think about retaining focus point while zooming in an AF lens).

Focus point changing when adjusting F-stop is known as focus shift, and is something that happens with lenses that let in lots of light (this is common in full-frame DSLR lenses that are f/1.4 and especially f/1.2).
Colour rendition of these lenses: Acceptable. You can't compare lenses like this ($40-50 including shipping) with, for instance, my Samyang 8 mm for K-mount, but on the other hand it's really really difficult to fit a K100D with a fish eye in the pocket like I can with Q....

[Afterthought: I've never tried the Samyang 8 mm on the Q. Might be a cool replacement for the 01.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/206350-did-you-buy-2nd-q-post224...ml#post2242588
and the marking is Fish Eye CS - didn't notice the "CS" before ]

4 mm Circuit Board - 1/40th sec at (probably) close to full aperture and [Bold Monochrome] on front dial at ISO400 under a lightbulb in the kitchen:

2.8 mm Circuit Board 1/30th sec at (probably) close to full aperture and ISO400 under a lightbulb in the kitchen (adjustment of WB when I developed the RAW):

Pentax Q with zoom C-mount lens f1,6/2,8-12 mm set at appx. 3 mm 1/30th sec and f2,8-4 (?) at ISO400

Pentax Q with zoom C-mount lens f1,6/2,8-12 mm set at appx. 3 mm 1/25th sec and f2,8-4 (?) at ISO400

Thanks/Erik

Last edited by Erich_H; 01-17-2013 at 12:15 PM.
01-10-2013, 02:24 AM   #24

Shady Chinese supplier

QuoteOriginally posted by zany225 Quote
Is that website ok to deal with? I heard bad reviews a lot with them, Aliexpress.com. They don't have paypal and never refunded money to customer.
Actually, they have refunded money to me on a couple of occasions...AliExpress [I have absolutely no affiliation with them!] is a portal for all the guys in China with a cousin working at some factory with a back door, and also for "reputable" suppliers. Also, as far as I can see, they seem less expensive than Ebay. It's always a risk, but I would not hesitate to try and order some low cost stuf. I bought all my C and CS-mounts via them. Also my Q-bag and almost all of my adapters. The people from the link to the 2,8-12mm zoom seems good. They wanted to ship by [expensive carrier] but after mail contact we came to an understanding about shipping cost. The suppliers that sell photo accessories seem more conscientious as a group than for example purveyors of cheap Chinese phones... At least that's my experience!
Thanks/Erik
01-10-2013, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
4mm & 2,8mm C-mounts [Zoom lenses at wide setting]
Nice review Erich, these have been add to the reference thread.
01-11-2013, 01:54 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Nice review Erich, these have been add to the reference thread.
Thanks for the kind words! Erik
01-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Hi - this is some cross posted samples from two C-mount zoom lenses [1,6/4-10 mm] & [1,6/2,8-12mm]:
That is a nice looking lens, a little sharper than my 2.5 CS, nice job on the images I like what you did, great usage for the wide lens.

Hans
01-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Hi - this is some cross posted samples from two C-mount zoom lenses [1,6/4-10 mm] & [1,6/2,8-12mm]
Do you have a link to where I could get those lenses? Especially the wider of the two.
01-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Do you have a link to where I could get those lenses? Especially the wider of the two.
It is above in this thread, I believe it is this one

High resolution varifocal 2.8 12mm 2 megapixel c mount lens-in CCTV Lenses from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com

Hans
01-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks, Hans. Guessed I missed it higher up in the thread. :-)