Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
0.5x wide angel attachment? or C-mount wide angle?

I found some kenko 0.5x wide angel attachment, which you can put it like a filter.
Are these good or rubbish like other cheap brand?

Or it will be better to go with C-mount wide angle lens? suggestion? Most of the C-mount lenses have 5MP only that's what worries me.

I don't need utlra sharp picture but I want something better than a DC.
02 zoom lens is out of my budget

01-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi MP,

My experience with front converters (both tele and wide) is that the result you can get varies wildly depending on the camera/lens it's mounted on, so you really can't even trust the reviews you might see unless the cam/lens is the same. It looks like this is a relatively new area of experimentation with the Q, so we don't have a lot of specific information to draw on. Your post might motivate someone who might already own one of these to try it on their Q, or to take one for the team and buy one on speculation. IMO, the only relatively safe bet is to see actual results with the camera and lens that you plan to use. We'll have to wait and see.

Another thought might be to shoot with the 03 Fisheye, then defish, and do some perspective correction in post and crop -- there are easy ways to accomplish both of these in most editing programs. When you center the horizon with a FE, it straightens out, and the most significant distortion is mostly evident at the edges. You might be able to get the FOV you want from this. It really depends on what you're planning to shoot with a wide angle and the FOV you need -- there will be plenty to work with. It might be worthwhile to download some FE examples from posts here or on an image sharing service and try it -- even downsized examples should give you an idea of what's possible.

Oh yeah -- the 03 FE is a ton of fun to use, IMO. I primarily shoot at the other end of the FL spectrum, but now never leave the house without a Q, the 01 prime, 03 FE, and 06 tele zoom. The FE gets the call much more than I'd ever anticipated.

Scott
01-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
I found some kenko 0.5x wide angel attachment, which you can put it like a filter.
Are these good or rubbish like other cheap brand?

Or it will be better to go with C-mount wide angle lens? suggestion? Most of the C-mount lenses have 5MP only that's what worries me.

I don't need utlra sharp picture but I want something better than a DC.
02 zoom lens is out of my budget
I'm going the C mount route but have had problems finding cctv C mount lenses. I have ordered 5 C mount lenses, I was very specific in what I wanted and meticulous when ordering but still received 4 CS mount and only one c mount. The 4mm C mount I did get is usable but I really want a 2.5 mm. I did keep a CS 2.5. I am hoping to alter a D to Q adapter it has a very close flange distance to the CS 0.5mm closer but has a 5/8 thread. I just need to find somebody to drill it out for me, (I'm not at home) and add a shim assuming the Q body lens contacts don't interfere with the lens. I will post how it works out. The D to Q adapter was only $8 so I may just glue the lens into the adapter after it's drilled.

Hans
01-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi MP,

My experience with front converters (both tele and wide) is that the result you can get varies wildly depending on the camera/lens it's mounted on, so you really can't even trust the reviews you might see unless the cam/lens is the same. It looks like this is a relatively new area of experimentation with the Q, so we don't have a lot of specific information to draw on. Your post might motivate someone who might already own one of these to try it on their Q, or to take one for the team and buy one on speculation. IMO, the only relatively safe bet is to see actual results with the camera and lens that you plan to use. We'll have to wait and see.

Another thought might be to shoot with the 03 Fisheye, then defish, and do some perspective correction in post and crop -- there are easy ways to accomplish both of these in most editing programs. When you center the horizon with a FE, it straightens out, and the most significant distortion is mostly evident at the edges. You might be able to get the FOV you want from this. It really depends on what you're planning to shoot with a wide angle and the FOV you need -- there will be plenty to work with. It might be worthwhile to download some FE examples from posts here or on an image sharing service and try it -- even downsized examples should give you an idea of what's possible.

Oh yeah -- the 03 FE is a ton of fun to use, IMO. I primarily shoot at the other end of the FL spectrum, but now never leave the house without a Q, the 01 prime, 03 FE, and 06 tele zoom. The FE gets the call much more than I'd ever anticipated.

Scott
Thanks for the input.
I don't own the 03 fish but it's kind of pricey for what I want. lol
I owned a DA10-17 before, so I know what pic I can get after some distortion correct in PP.

I have some thought as you, just need someone already own the wide angle adapter to try it on their Q.

01-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I'm going the C mount route but have had problems finding cctv C mount lenses. I have ordered 5 C mount lenses, I was very specific in what I wanted and meticulous when ordering but still received 4 CS mount and only one c mount. The 4mm C mount I did get is usable but I really want a 2.5 mm. I did keep a CS 2.5. I am hoping to alter a D to Q adapter it has a very close flange distance to the CS 0.5mm closer but has a 5/8 thread. I just need to find somebody to drill it out for me, (I'm not at home) and add a shim assuming the Q body lens contacts don't interfere with the lens. I will post how it works out. The D to Q adapter was only $8 so I may just glue the lens into the adapter after it's drilled.

Hans
For C mount, I found an interesting one mentioned in another thread.
This is a Rainbow 3.5mm, F1.6. It has C mount and CS mount, look for part number H35WI.
Unfortunately, I don't find it very common on ebay and google, so I am still waiting for input on this.

01-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have one of those wide angle converters and it's actually not that bad, when pixel peeping it was only slightly softer than without it, and I also think it was a kenko...
01-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
IMO, another advantage for wide-angle-adapter will be better distortion.
This is based from the pics I seen from review of both of the application.

01-07-2013, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Gallery
Super Fish Eye Lens 0.25x

This is the result from a $30 "Super Fish Eye Lens 0.25x" on top of the 01.
This adds up to 2.12 mm native [11.9 mm / 35mm eq!].
It's a 37mm converter, so I had to use a step-down ring [37 -> 40.5mm].

It is working OK in full auto [focus/exposure]. It's actually easier to use with autofocus,
because the manual focus help kicks in as soon as you touch the focus ring on the 01 -
annoying - It would be better if it used the [OK-button] like on full manual lenses.

This converter vignettes a bit, but I don't know how much is due to the step-down ring.
One funny thing, though: It seems to vignette more to the right...hmm.
As Q thinks it's got only the 01 attached it is also possible to use [Distortion Correction]
from the menu or when developing your RAW in camera.

The attachment is a little heavy - almost the same weight as the Q body ...
but as the AF is fully internal on the 01 there is no extra strain on the AF-motor.
62 mm filter diameter. You also get a "macro lens" if you unscrew the wide angle part.

IMHO: Lots of fun for $30. Savings: $100 on the original FE-lens.

Picture 1: 1/40th sec - f1,9 - ISO400
Picture 2: 1/125th sec - f2,8 - ISO400

No cropping, just downscaled to 1024x, [Tone Expansion] on Front dial (on all of them, I think...).

Picture 3: 1/500th sec - f3,2 - ISO400 - no built-in distortion correction
Picture 4: 1/500th sec - f3,2 - ISO400 - Q built-in distortion correction applied when developing RAW

Picture 5: 1/200th sec - f1,9 - ISO400 - with the "macro" lens
Picture 6: 1/13th sec - f8 - ISO400 - with the "macro" lens

Picture 7: 1/160th sec - f2,8 - ISO400 - a snowy day - shortly after this pic, the Q froze up. Keep it warm!
Picture 8: 1/1000th sec - f3,5 - ISO400
Picture 9: 1/1000th sec - f3,2 - ISO400

This is what this beast looks like:

thanks/Erik

Last edited by Erich_H; 01-15-2013 at 07:54 AM.
01-07-2013, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Hi Erich,

Nice!

FEs and cats are a natural. The first thing I did when I got my 03 was to stick it in my cats' faces. Now they hate the Q also. . .

Scott
01-07-2013, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erich_H Quote
This is result from a $30 "Super Fish Eye Lens 0.25x" on top of the 01. This adds up to 11.9 mm [35mm eq!]. It's a 37mm converter, so I had to use a step-down ring [37 -> 40.5mm]. It is working OK in full auto [focus/exposure]. It's actually easier to use with autofocus, because the manual focus help kicks in as soon as you touch the focus ring on the 01 - annoying - It would be better if it used the [OK-button] like on full manual lenses. The attachment is a little heavy - about the same weight as the Q body ... You also get a "macro lens" if you unscrew the wide angle part. IMHO: Lots of fun for $30. How much is the original FE-lens? thanks/Erik
Great post Erich! I'm going to be adding a section to the reference thread of items posted externally so I will point to your post.
01-07-2013, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oh yet, good job Erich_H.
Now I will look into a good adapter. lol
01-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Funny, I just got my 40.5-to-37mm step-down ring after some false starts with Adorama and tried out my old Sony 0.6x Wide Adapter that I used to use on a video camera years ago. I put it on the Q and got these. The first is with the 01 by itself and the second is the 01+ 0.6x Adapter.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
01-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #13

I also tried the wide converter which I got it cheap from ebay 2 days ago. I also wonder if the converter is on par with the 03 lens? Here are my test shots. They were all taken at f2.8.

First pic was taken at 5mm without the converter. (the rest were taken with converter)
Second pic at 5mm
Third pic at 5.5mm (the black circle is at the frame)
Forth pic at 6.6mm (widest I can go without black circle)

Last pic shows my converter. There are 3 parts, macro glass, wide converter, and 40.5-37mm step down ring. They cost me ~$15.

I think, with the converter, the border IQ is not acceptable for me. I do really want to compare to the 03 lens in term of IQ, though, but I don't have the 03.
I guess, at about 7mm with adapter could get the same image angle as the 03, maybe!?
Anyone interested to make a comparison test shots? I can send this adapter to you for making a review test to compare to the 03 lens.
Attached Images

01-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Funny, I just got my 40.5-to-37mm step-down ring after some false starts with Adorama and tried out my old Sony 0.6x Wide Adapter that I used to use on a video camera years ago. I put it on the Q and got these. The first is with the 01 by itself and the second is the 01+ 0.6x Adapter.
Your converter make so much better IQ and wider than my cheap one! LOL (mine is claimed to be 0.45x and yours is 0.6x which is in opposite way though!)

It looks interesting with (semi)fisheye with bokeh!

I heard about a "baby death" from Bower. It's a fisheye converter and looks big! It front element size is 77mm! Curious about quality of it but with $60... ... half price of the 03 still sounds ok to grab????
01-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zany225 Quote
Your converter make so much better IQ and wider than my cheap one! LOL (mine is claimed to be 0.45x and yours is 0.6x which is in opposite way though!)

It looks interesting with (semi)fisheye with bokeh!

I heard about a "baby death" from Bower. It's a fisheye converter and looks big! It front element size is 77mm! Curious about quality of it but with $60... ... half price of the 03 still sounds ok to grab????
I like my 03 better. The converters defeat part of the reason to have a Q - size, they are huge. Still, the 01 + Adapter is AF while the 03 is MF. All-in-all though I still prefer the 03.