Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #1

Q making strange noises

My Q has started to make an odd electrical-sounding noise. It sounds almost like there's a mosquito buzzing around inside it, mixed with a sound like radio static. It's loud enough to be audible when holding the camera normally for shooting.

It seems to be connected to the shake-reduction system: it goes away when I turn SR off or remove the lens. SR seems to be working normally. I assume this noise is abnormal, but have any of you had similar noises?

Edit: Ok, I saw a post on the UK forum about a similar noise, and the solution was to set the SR options in the Custom menu to 1 instead of 2, so SR activates only at the moment of capture. But still, I don't recall it being that noisy before.

Last edited by JMeyer; 01-06-2013 at 12:54 PM.
01-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SR makes noise, so I believe this is normal.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi JMeyer,

I think you've found the answer to your question. With SR on full time, there is a constant keening sound coming from the camera. Some people's hearing are probably more sensitive to the frequency than others.

Scott
01-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi JMeyer,

I think you've found the answer to your question. With SR on full time, there is a constant keening sound coming from the camera. Some people's hearing are probably more sensitive to the frequency than others.

Scott
I agree, I keep my SR on always and also hear the sound. If I change to shot only the noise goes away but I find it easier to focus and frame long lenses with it on.

Hans

01-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cross-posted from thread: SR-sounds
Just turn off the full time live view SR and use the Shake Reduction Options Mode1.
This is the last [C] tab in the menu and you are looking for option4. By default SR is Mode2. This EATS battery.
With Mode1 you'll still have SR when you take your pic. The constant sound is off though, you'll only hear it when you
press the shutter release for focusing and/or exposing. Thanks/Erik