Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sharonm01721 Quote
question: updated via sd card? the directions talk about using the usb cable but i cannot get it to work for me
Most of us have done it with the SD card only.

Firmware for the camera - download the firmware to your computer, then extract the download. Look for the .bin file after extracting.
Simply drag/drop the .bin file onto a blank formatted SD card.
Insert you SD card in camera, turn camera on, then go to the menu (setup menu #3) and choose "Firmware Version Info". From there choose to update firmware and follow instructions.

No need at all to connect the camera via USB cable.

01-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Most of us have done it with the SD card only.

Firmware for the camera - download the firmware to your computer, then extract the download. Look for the .bin file after extracting.
Simply drag/drop the .bin file onto a blank formatted SD card.
Insert you SD card in camera, turn camera on, then go to the menu (setup menu #3) and choose "Firmware Version Info". From there choose to update firmware and follow instructions.

No need at all to connect the camera via USB cable.
Thanks so much, I got it to work, the only issue I had was my laptop is 64bit and the extractor was 32bit, had to go use an older machine to do the download and transfer....
01-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My Q is finally here, and I loaded both FW updates to a card.
No problem updating the 01 lens, but I cannot get the camera's FW to update.

I've deleted, re-downloaded the file, re-formatted the card, several times.
But when I go to the set up screen it shows the new version for the lens, and no way to load the camera's update.

Any help much appreciated!
01-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
My Q is finally here, and I loaded both FW updates to a card.
No problem updating the 01 lens, but I cannot get the camera's FW to update.

I've deleted, re-downloaded the file, re-formatted the card, several times.
But when I go to the set up screen it shows the new version for the lens, and no way to load the camera's update.

Any help much appreciated!
Robtcorl,

I had the same issue. Then realized I forgot to run the EXE file on my PC to extract out the actual firmware file. Once I did this everything worked smooth.

The key is that the EXE file is not the actual firmware file.

01-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Hi Dave,
First, I'm pretty tech challenged.
But had no problems with my k5 or k01.
At first I sent the file directly to my card.
Then I tried double clicking on the file to open it, and then sending it to the card.

Thanks for your help, I'll look for a run EXE.
01-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Hi Dave,
First, I'm pretty tech challenged.
But had no problems with my k5 or k01.
At first I sent the file directly to my card.
Then I tried double clicking on the file to open it, and then sending it to the card.

Thanks for your help, I'll look for a run EXE.
The firmware for the camera is actually contained in a .zip file while the lens firmware is not. It is in a .zip file since that will compress it for easier/faster downloading.

One quick way to see if your computer can extract the .zip file is to right click on the file, and look in the fly-out sub menu for "extract" or "extract to here".

On my 2-3 year old Windows 7 computer, I could not extract the file either, but found that my main image organizer/editor would do it. If you are running Windows 7, you and can't extract it, you can download an extractor from Microsoft for free:

Compress and uncompress files (zip files)
01-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Thanks!

I'm using Windows XP, and these things are not normally a problem.
Not sure exactly how I did it, but it's now loaded to the camera.

Sadly, it's now dark here in MO, so my playing will be inside.
Thanks again for the help Dave and Stan!
01-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Thanks!

I'm using Windows XP, and these things are not normally a problem.
Not sure exactly how I did it, but it's now loaded to the camera.

Sadly, it's now dark here in MO, so my playing will be inside.
Thanks again for the help Dave and Stan!

Glad you got it sorted.

01-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the clarification stormtech. I was sitting at the eye doctors office and I got my firmwares all backwards.
01-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
Thanks for the clarification stormtech. I was sitting at the eye doctors office and I got my firmwares all backwards.
You're welcome - except for giving you dyslexia at the eye doctors'!
01-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #26

My brand new Q won't start after updating the camera firmware! Help!

I just received it and I let the battery charge overnight before attempting to update firmware. I haven't even taken a single picture.

I was able to update the lens firmware with no issues. I had just finished updating the camera firmware. I let it go all the way through to the "complete" message and turn itself off. I went to turn it back on to check the firmware version and nothing...pulled the battery and tried again and...nothing. The camera tries to turn on but the LCD is powered on but completely black and none of the buttons do anything.

Is there anything else I can try?
01-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ktnndal Quote
My brand new Q won't start after updating the camera firmware! Help!

I just received it and I let the battery charge overnight before attempting to update firmware. I haven't even taken a single picture.

I was able to update the lens firmware with no issues. I had just finished updating the camera firmware. I let it go all the way through to the "complete" message and turn itself off. I went to turn it back on to check the firmware version and nothing...pulled the battery and tried again and...nothing. The camera tries to turn on but the LCD is powered on but completely black and none of the buttons do anything.

Is there anything else I can try?

Oh boy.....only suggestion I have is if you removed the SD card, removed the firmware, and tried the card again? Also have you tried a different SD card?

During startup the camera reads the SD card, and I've heard some stories of weird things happening during startup that may have been caused by a corrupt card.
01-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #28

Oh boy.....only suggestion I have is if you removed the SD card, removed the firmware, and tried the card again? Also have you tried a different SD card?

During startup the camera reads the SD card, and I've heard some stories of weird things happening during startup that may have been caused by a corrupt card.
I've tried without the card and with a different SD card with the same results. Anybody know of a way to "reboot" or reset the thing?
01-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by ktnndal Quote
I've tried without the card and with a different SD card with the same results. Anybody know of a way to "reboot" or reset the thing?
If it sits with no battery the date/time settings reset to default so it might be worth a shot to remove the battery for 24 hours before sending it back for replacement or in for repair.

Last edited by flylow7f39; 01-20-2013 at 05:26 PM.
01-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #30
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
Robtcorl,

I had the same issue. Then realized I forgot to run the EXE file on my PC to extract out the actual firmware file. Once I did this everything worked smooth.

The key is that the EXE file is not the actual firmware file.
The firmware for the camera is actually contained in a .zip file while the lens firmware is not. It is in a .zip file since that will compress it for easier/faster downloading.
I had the same issue (moving the .exe file to the card) snice I'm fairly certain Pentax described the file as self-extracting, which confounded me at first. My camera refused to boot beyond Dust Removal, writing a Card Error message to the LCD. I tried another card which, thankfully, passed the boot routine, formatted it in camera, extracted the .bin file by double clicking the .exe file, moved the .bin file to the clean card and, wonder of wonders, Camera Firmware Update was available and I now run ver. 1.10!!

(And ver. 1.01 for the 02 lens).