Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #1

A newbie question

Hi everyone,

First off, thanks are in order to this forum - and to all who have shared their experiences, opinions, and sample pictures - for helping me decide to get the Q (the huge price drop helped a lot, too).

Got mine early December and am totally enjoying it.

Anyway, I will be traveling to Beijing in the next few weeks and the temperature there is in the -10s (Celsius). The manual mentions a slowing down of the camera operations in very hot weather - but what about cold? What can I expect in these freezing conditions? Will it be bad for the camera?

Thanks for your time.

01-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Beijing in the winter...blah. Take an extra coat and layer your clothes.

On the upside there won't be that many crowds (for China) for all the major sites....

I don't know anything about the Q but I know Beijing... it won't be so bad... worst thing that might happen is if you take your camera from a warm hotel to outside or a warm cab or something the lens will fog up.

I also see you are coming from Indonesia. I took a flight up to Beijing from Singapore and I froze my butt off. I wasn't acclimated at all anymore to the Beijing winters...

Odds are you won't be outside much... if you can go in springtime you will have a lot more fun.
01-09-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I believe the extreme heat is worse for a camera and lens than it is extreme colds. -10C shouldn't be too bad, go out there and enjoy it.
01-09-2013, 04:23 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
the extreme heat is worse for a camera and lens than it is extreme colds
Correct.

Both of the new K-5's have the claim to be cold weather resistant, but… Most any camera can be seriously damaged in left in a vehicle in hotter weather. It can cause damage as simple as lcd viewscreen damage, to permanent sensor damage and also damage to lens elements

01-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cold is not good for batteries. So bring extras and keep them close to your body for warmth so that they don't die prematurely.
01-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #6

A couple of tricks I've picked up for serious shooting
- remove the battery from the camera and keep it next to your body until you're ready to shoot (for example, tucked inside your glove).
- to prevent the lens fogging, buy those little chemical hand warmers and tape one around the lens

For casual shooting, I'd make sure you have a large inside jacket pocket that you can get to without too much problem, and keep the Q tucked in there when not in use. Fogging will likely be an issue though.
01-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lcds don't like extreme cold for long periods so don't leave the Q in a car over night. You don't want condensation problems moving from extreme temps. I carry a ziplock baggie to put the Q in before changing areas. The condensation then forms on the outside of bag, not the Q.

Take lots of batteries and memory cards. Will your charger work on the power in China?
Enjoy the Q and the trip. There are always photo ops no matter what time of year.
thanks
barondla
01-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the tips guys. Appreciate it. Feeling more confident and better equipped now that you've shared your knowledge.

Just one more thing: Any issues changing lenses outside in the cold? Will it fog up/freeze up the sensor? Or should I change lenses indoors only?