Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #1

SD card suggestion

New member with a new Q here. I need to get an SD card. Looking for suggestions, size/brand that works nice with the Q. I will need large enough one to download latest firmware.

Thanks,
Lacro

01-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I upgraded the firmware with a 32MB card. I doubt that you can find a card that small. :P
Do you got USB 3.0 ports or a build in USB 3.0 speed card reader in your computer?
01-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
I was reading the "32" wrong for the update file size. I was thinking it was a 32GB card required for the update. I now realize it's 32MB. I don't have 3.0 USB ports, but I do have a card reader on my PC (2.0). I am really just looking for suggestions for a good card that works well with the Q. I know some cards are buggy with some cameras, and need to be avoided. Is there one card brand and GB size that everyone likes for use with Q.

Thanks....

lacro
01-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

So far i tried Transcend SDHC Class10 16GB, Sandisk Ultra SDHC Class10 16GB and occasionally others and I've yet to encounter a problem with a card in combination with the Q. As you lack USB3.0, sadly I do too, there's really no reason to go for the fastest cards except as investments for the future. I don't think that I've heard of any card with bad compatibility with the Q.

I find 16GB to be a good size for the Q. About 500-600 raw's or countless Jpeg and big enough for video. 32GB should be good too if you plan on doing a lot of video.

01-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #5

Using Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced 16GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model MKNSDHCC10-16GB in my Q with no issues at all. Seems quite a bit faster than the card shopnbc included.
01-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
So far i tried Transcend SDHC Class10 16GB, Sandisk Ultra SDHC Class10 16GB and occasionally others and I've yet to encounter a problem with a card in combination with the Q. As you lack USB3.0, sadly I do too, there's really no reason to go for the fastest cards except as investments for the future. I don't think that I've heard of any card with bad compatibility with the Q.

I find 16GB to be a good size for the Q. About 500-600 raw's or countless Jpeg and big enough for video. 32GB should be good too if you plan on doing a lot of video.
Generally agree... I find the faster (high read/write speed) Class 10 cards put the camera in instant READY after activating the camera's ON button. Slower Class 10 cards might require several seconds before the camera indicates its ready to use. I've had SD card readers to fail, but never an SD card failure with the Q.

Enjoy...M
01-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #7

I use the Sandisk Extreme class 10. Works great.

01-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flylow7f39 Quote
Using Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced 16GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model MKNSDHCC10-16GB in my Q with no issues at all. Seems quite a bit faster than the card shopnbc included.
The card that ShopNBC included was a class 4 card, that literally capped at 4MB/sec write speed (class 4 standard). I have 5 year old 4GB SanDisk Ultra II cards that are the same class 4 cards, that hit 15MB/sec write speeds consistently. Not all cards are created equally...even if they have the same class speeds.

I personally have been using SanDisk for a while with great success. My slowest card easily hits 13.5 MB/sec write time, which well exceeds class 10 standard speeds. While they cost a little bit more, I usually just hunt for the good sales and then stock up!
01-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'll third the SanDisk suggestion. It's the only brand that has consistently worked well and been fast in my experience. (Not that any card is particularly fast in the Q.)

But that only goes if you actually buy a SanDisk card, if you buy some random card with a SanDisk sticker off Ebay it probably won't work well.
01-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the suggestions...
I formatted a 2 GB card I had from another camera, to update the firmware which I did successfully. I think I will get a SanDisK 16 GB Extreme or Ultra class 10 card. I have had good luck with SanDisk cards in the past. I probably don't need 16GB, but one of the reasons I bought the Q is to have it with me often. I don't shoot video much, but if I run across a situation that I would want to shoot video, it would be nice to have the capacity.