Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Firmware update frustration

Seems I can't figure it out..............

I have the 02 lens

I am confused what to do first.

I thought I needed to hook up camera via USB to camera with card in camera.....when I do this the lcd screen goes black.

I don't see anywhere how to download for the lens.

Can someone take a moment and give me step by step instructions? My capability to reason has gone out the window over the years. By this I mean steps in which a child can understand

How do I get the lens info on the card? Should this be done first before ver 1.10?

You can see this really frustrates me.....I don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks

01-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go to Pentax.JP and download two files:

The Q 1.10 firmware update is here:
Latest PENTAX Q Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

THe 02 Standard Lens update is here:
Latest PENTAX Q Lenses Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Save them to your harddrive.

Open each and save the .BIN file to an SD card.
You will have 2 BIN files on your SD card when you are done.

Insert SD card into Q and turn Q on (with FULL battery).

Go to the Firmware section of the Menu (last page as I recall) and select it.
It will guide you at this point. Install the v1.10 Firmware for the camera first. Then install the 1.01 firmware for the 02 lens. You MUST have the 02 on the camera for that firmware to install.

Good luck.
01-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From what I remember you just download the 2 files from the Pentax site to your computer, then extract the files (they are ziped) by clicking on them in the download dir. Ccopy the extracted files to the root of your sd card, put the card into the camera and restart the camera. push the menu button and go to the firmware item. You can install any one of them on any order. below are the steps from the Pentax site to follow once you have the files on your SD card.

Hans

Press the four-way controller right to display [Set-up 3] menu screen.
Select [Firmware Version Info] in the [Set-up 3] menu then press the four-way controller right. The firmware version for the camera and lens are displayed on the [Firmware Version Info] screen.
Press the four-way controller right to display update screen. Press the four-way controller up to select [Start] and press OK button.
*If firmware file is not saved to SD card correctly, this screen will not be displayed.
Card access lamp will be blinked and display will be changed from [NOW LODING] to [COMPLETE].
*Do not turn OFF the camera while updating.
01-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks to you both, it was very helpful. The camera says it's done even though the lens file didnt extract. I dragged it from computer to SD card, I didn't see an option to extract. Anyways, the camera says it's been updated.

Thanks again

01-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleRed Quote
Thanks to you both, it was very helpful. The camera says it's done even though the lens file didnt extract. I dragged it from computer to SD card, I didn't see an option to extract. Anyways, the camera says it's been updated.

Thanks again
The file that you downloaded for the lens isn't the one you load. Double click on it and it should open with some options, you want the file marked - fwlq102.bin

That stands for FirmWare Lens Q 1 for Lens 02.

That is what you want to put on the SD card and then insert it into the Q. The firmware option should then offer you the opportunity to update the lens (as long as the 02 is on the camera at the time).
01-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If I remember correctly when I did my lens update, UncleRed is right in that there was no extraction for the file. For the camera it did need to be extracted.

I just double checked so as not to steer anyone wrong here -

When you download the firmware for the camera, the package needs to be extracted to get the .bin file as it is contained in a .zip file.

When you download the firmware for the lens, all that is downloaded is the .bin file ready to go.
01-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
If I remember correctly when I did my lens update, UncleRed is right in that there was no extraction for the file. For the camera it did need to be extracted.

I just double checked so as not to steer anyone wrong here -

When you download the firmware for the camera, the package needs to be extracted to get the .bin file as it is contained in a .zip file.

When you download the firmware for the lens, all that is downloaded is the .bin file ready to go.

Thanks Stan. If that is the case, then if the bin file is on the SD why didn't it offer to be installed?

01-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks Stan. If that is the case, then if the bin file is on the SD why didn't it offer to be installed?
UncleRed isn't being specific in his post - it sounds like to me that he extracted the camera firmware, and successfully updated the camera.

From here I am just guessing as he didn't say anything about updating his lens - I am thinking that since he couldn't extract the lens firmware, he didn't try to do the update the lens (didn't copy the lens .bin file onto his card).

If in fact he has successfully updated the camera, now all he has to do is copy the downloaded lens .bin file onto his card, then follow the procedure to update the lens.

Man - I reread my own post here and I don't know if I am making sense....???? Do you understand what I am trying to say?
01-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
UncleRed isn't being specific in his post - it sounds like to me that he extracted the camera firmware, and successfully updated the camera.

From here I am just guessing as he didn't say anything about updating his lens - I am thinking that since he couldn't extract the lens firmware, he didn't try to do the update the lens (didn't copy the lens .bin file onto his card).

If in fact he has successfully updated the camera, now all he has to do is copy the downloaded lens .bin file onto his card, then follow the procedure to update the lens.

Man - I reread my own post here and I don't know if I am making sense....???? Do you understand what I am trying to say?
I do, I just hope UncleRed does too.
01-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I only have a minute hear and don't have time to mess with the camera right now.......I do know this....when I go into the menu and look for firmware version it says ver: 1.1 Lens 02 standard zoom ver:1.01
01-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks guys, I only have a minute hear and don't have time to mess with the camera right now.......I do know this....when I go into the menu and look for firmware version it says ver: 1.1 Lens 02 standard zoom ver:1.01
Well then you got them both to complete. The firmware on both your camera and lens are up to date.
01-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Congratulations! You're up-to-date on your firmware.
01-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Congratulations! You're up-to-date on your firmware.
Thanks again, it wasn't the updating that was so difficult it was the unclear (to me at least) instructions on the Pentax website.