Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Q vs Q10?

Wondering if anyone has picked up the Q10 yet and (hopefully) has a Q to compare it to?

I'm planning on grabbing a Q10 in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to justify the rather large gap in price between the two. From what I understand the 10 has better low light use and the faster shutter, but is that enough to warrant paying the diference?

Also, are those differences enough to change the capabilities with adapted lenses?

01-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Barondla did a comparison when the Q10 came out. Do search in the Q forum for threads by him.
01-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here it is https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/204523-thoughts-q-vs-q10.html
01-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think for all practical purposes they're going to be about the same, thanks to the 1.10 firmware for the Q. I would go for the original Q and then spend the difference on the Pentax adapter!

01-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think for all practical purposes they're going to be about the same. I would go for the Q and then spend the difference on the Pentax adapter!
Hey is that an endorsement?

So when is your hands on test getting published ?
01-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Hey is that an endorsement?

So when is your hands on test getting published ?
There are no plans of a direct comparison, but I hope to get a video review of the Q10 out just to spread the word about it.

The Q is definitely not for me, but with the Pentax adapter it does work pretty well for tele shots!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For general walk-around hand-held shots, I prefer the K-10. The grip is nicer, it is marginally bigger, and the IQ marginally better with ISO100 available. My silver version also looks hot with the silver Q-mount lenses
My Q is now dedicated to use with the Q-K adaptor. The black goes better with the adaptor and K-mount glass anyway

01-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #8

Does not sound as if there is much, if any, difference in performance.
Pentax Q vrs Q10: Pentax Compact Camera Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
01-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I compared them side-by-side. The differences are not huge, to be honest, but here what I thought.

Q advantages: smaller and cuter, better build, available in 01 prime kit
Q10 advantages: easier to handle (grip and buttons), available in more colours, slightly faster operation, better rated battery life, available in the double zoom kit and as body only

My wife went for the Q with the prime and likes it. If it were me, I'd have gone with the Q10, because I find the Q more fiddly to operate. And the build quality issue is not a big deal because the unit is too small to flex at all, even in plastic. Not sure about the price difference in your country, so that's another consideration.
01-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Interesting:
Q - Mag alloy
Q10 - Poly Carb (plastic)

are we progressing?
01-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #11

depends on your definition of progressing. Polycarb is incredibly durable and is much easier to manufacture and process. It flexes but doesn't permanently deform like metal can. I prefer something a bit more substantial, but if they're marketing to super small and super light, polycarb will get them there.

Remember with polycarb, many parts of modern weapons are being made out of polycarb for a variety of reasons. Including a whole slew of fully automatic weapons and pistols. Barrels are obviously still metal, but much of the body components are being made out of polycarb to save weight and help reduce manufacturing costs without sacrificing performance. I still prefer the feel of metal, but a lot is personal preference.