Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2013, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #1

Newly Q'ed

HI,

I am a little late to the party, I just got my Q a couple hours ago, although I have been following this forum for a couple weeks.

Normally carrying a 5Dmk II, this really a different little animal. At first I was sure I was going to need special tweezers to be able to handle it. But adding the wrist strap from an old point-n-shoot gave me a little more confidence that it wasn't going to slip through my fingers.

I only discovered the Q a few weeks ago, and after seeing a few youtube reviews and finally this forum, I just had to have one, especially at the <$300 price that you can now find them at.

I have only shoot a dozen or so frames so far since I need to charge the battery first, thought I'd introduce myself while it's charging.

Here is one of the first shoots.

This is going to be fun, I also have a couple old m42 mount lenses and an adapter that I cant wait to stick on the Q.

Regards!

--mitch

01-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Fun is indeed what the Q is all about. Very cool shot!

Naturally lots of us here will be curious to see the results if you start adapting your Canon glass onto the Q, along with the m42 stuff.
01-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome Aboard! Next you'll want an adapter to use all that lovely Canon glass on the little Q.
01-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Q and this forum Queued. Great name. You are already up and running with a fine Q photo. About that battery charging. you will be doing a lot of it. The Q really likes to have plenty of extra batteries on hand.

thanks and enjoy the Q.
barondla
The Q is fun.

01-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome and enjoy the Q. Even having a Canon S100 I still got a Q and the Q gets more shots than my Pentax DSLR or the S100. And yes get an adapter we need some info on how well the Canon glass works.

Hans
01-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Good Morning,

Well I am in line waiting for my Q, on back order - the Groupon New Years day special deal.

What I find extremely interesting is the bokeh of the image you posted. I am assuming its with the 01 lens, wide open. To me the background has a wonderful painted quality with sufficient detail to add to the image. The grain of the noise - to me even adds to the overall image. If this is what I have to look forward to, then I will be very happy. I am normally not that interested in bokeh, being primary interested in wide angle.

01-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah, I am interested in getting an adapter for my EF lenses, but I'll have to spend a little more for one with built in aperture diaphragm since my newer EF lenses don't have an aperture ring on the lens.

@Interested_Oberver, correct it is the 01 prime wide open. Being used to the full frame goodness of the 5DmkII, I was also curious if I would enjoy the images this tiny sensor would produce. I can say that I was pleasantly surprised.
01-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Great first post! Welcome to the forums...

Huge difference between your chosen cameras, so it'll be interesting to see the results!

01-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
Hey, not too late! I've only been on board for a few months, too. Welcome aboard also. My girlfriend is a Canon shooter who grabbed a Q after she saw what mine could do.

You'll love this camera if taken in the spirit it was designed. It gets more shots put through it than my K-5. It's a self contained art-shop of a camera... and the only camera that I actually do not shoot raw in. What I capture is what I capture with the Q, and that has brought something back to my photography.