Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
q viewfinder

does anyone that has either the pentax q viewfinder for the 01 lens, or a leica or whatever other brand older viewfinder end up using it over the lcd screen ? in other words is it something worth getting ? i have a feeling if i did buy one , that i would just go back to the lcd screen, but i don't know

01-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The quick answer is, yes many of us have Optical Viewfinders for our Q. For me, the single most useful Q Forum Thread has to be this one:
What Q accessories are worth it?

I find that my Yashica rangefinder OVF that came with 2 accessory lenses for the rangefinder (it's called a "Tele-Wide") works very well with my Q. It also helps conserve the battery, which is a big plus with the Q.

Here is my review of that particular OVF:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/yashica-tele-wide-viewfinder.html
01-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also have the Yashica tele-wide finder. Thought I would use it more. Surprised since I used Leica film rangefinders and mounted viewfinders all the time. Of course, on the Leica, I didn't have the lcd to lure me away. I need to work more with it. With the firmware update the Q can be trusted to focus more accurately too.
thanks
barondla
01-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I picked up a Helios Viewfinder. When you can't see your screen due to sun glare it becomes very useful.

06-08-2015, 12:51 AM   #5

Is it worth it to buy the pentax q viewfinder? Is it an electronic viewfinder ?
06-08-2015, 06:41 AM   #6

Original Poster
i never did buy a viewfinder for the Q, and have been using the Q for a few years now, ( it's not an electronic viewfinder in any case ) if you do try one, let me know how you like it. actually the lcd screen works well for me, even in fairly bright light, at least have not had an issue with it after all this time.
06-08-2015, 07:02 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
does anyone that has either the pentax q viewfinder for the 01 lens, or a leica or whatever other brand older viewfinder end up using it over the lcd screen ? in other words is it something worth getting ? i have a feeling if i did buy one , that i would just go back to the lcd screen, but i don't know
Most of us who use a Q to provide some kind of super-telephoto functionality are using some kind of hoodman clone, as demonstrated in this thread : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/286070-show-your-pentax-q-setups.html

06-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #8

I bought the OVF1 with my original Q, but ended up never using it. I found the LCD to be usable even on sunny days (although it's not ideal of course). The OVF1 is a lovely viewfinder, however. Nice, large bright image with a parallax brightline for closer shots. but yeah, never used it...

The OVF1 is now sitting on my Voigtlander Bessa T, which I just bought and haven't yet had a chance to get out with to determine if I enjoy that kind of shooting - I think I will but time will tell...