Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #16

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Lacro,

Good move trying the other settings in the flash menu. Flash with the Q is almost totally unintuitive. The reason why the exposure was good is because the Q uses P-TTL and meters through the lens for the popup flash, even with adapted lenses. You probably didn't notice, but it preflashes, meters, and cuts off the flash on exposure to give you a reasonable exposure with the shutter speed (1/13 with 3rd party adapters and whatever lenses) and the aperture (stopped down at the lens). It's possible that the flash (either the popup or externals) will not fire every time -- we've seen different behavior from different bodies.

If you try an external flash that isn't P-TTL compatible, you have to use Manual or Auto mode (if it has either), and turn the flash "off" in the flash menu. With a P-TTL compatible flash, use the setting that you do for the popup, and set the popup to not flash unless extended. -- It's wierd. . .

Look at the shape of the shadow in the light splash, and you'll see the body of the cord plug -- it's the flash reflected off of the shiny black surface underneath the cord.

Scott
Scott, thanks for the info... I see I really do have a steep learning curve ahead. Please excuse my ignorance, but are you saying when using adapted lenses with the pop up flash that the shutter speed is fixed at 1/13 second??

As far as using an external flash, I have an Olympus T20 which can be used auto or manual. Do you think it could work on the Q? Olympus T20 Flash - Brief Introduction

When focusing, why does the display show what appears to be the same image even with the lens stopped down? Am I missing something here? I thought I had to focus wide open with adapted lenses?

I see what your saying about the reflection. It is a very shiny piano black surface of a laptop.

Lacro

01-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #17

Original Poster
I finally got outside with the Q. It's 40's today, going below zero (F) next week. I mounted my Oly 100 f2.8 lens. Before doing so I fixed my loose fitting adapter. I set the adapter onto a piece of clear contact paper, and trimmed it with an Exacto knife. It added .003" which is perfect. I don't know if it will affect infinity focus? Maybe that's why the adapter is now $10 at Amazon. I still need to paint the inside flat black.
I am amazed what is possible with these adapted lenses. Focusing is not easy outside. I will need some type of hood for the display, and a better way to release the shutter. Do the cheap electronic ones work or do you just use the timer?
I took this quick shot up my street. The far STOP sign is over 1000' away. My 100MM portrait lens is now a long telephoto With better focusing, camera settings, better tripod, and shutter release method, I think this small lens will be pretty handy.

Lacro

JPEG from camera, no PP
Attached Images

01-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lacro Quote
Scott, thanks for the info... I see I really do have a steep learning curve ahead. Please excuse my ignorance, but are you saying when using adapted lenses with the pop up flash that the shutter speed is fixed at 1/13 second??

As far as using an external flash, I have an Olympus T20 which can be used auto or manual. Do you think it could work on the Q? Olympus T20 Flash - Brief Introduction

When focusing, why does the display show what appears to be the same image even with the lens stopped down? Am I missing something here? I thought I had to focus wide open with adapted lenses?

I see what your saying about the reflection. It is a very shiny piano black surface of a laptop.
Hi Lacro,

Yes, the Q's flash sync max shutter speed is 1/13 second with adapted lenses and any Q system lens that doesn't have the leaf shutter built in. The only Q system lenses so far with the shutter are the 01 prime, the 02 std zoom, and the 06 tele zoom -- the Pentax OEM K to Q adapter also has an integral shutter.This is an apparent limitation of the electronic shutter on the Q's sensor. It's obviously very limiting as bright ambient light can overpower the flash relatively easily, but for indoor shooting, it's usually OK

I don't know Oly flashes, but I'd assume that this one has a contact exactly centered on the flash foot. You would turn it to manual or Auto Flash on the flash. Auto would probably be easier, and set the ISO and aperture according to the calculator on the back panel of the flash. You'll also have to turn the flash off in the flash menu on the camera.

The LCD gains up to show you what the metering system sees as a "correct" exposure when you stop down. The Q defaults to Av mode if the dial is set to P, Av, or Tv mode, so it will set the shutter speed according to the light coming through the lens. If you want to override the meter, use Ev Comp or M mode, where you'll be able to control the shutter speed (obviously, you can't control the aperture through the camera with adapted lenses).

Although it's usually easier to focus wide open because there's more light, there's nothing preventing you from stopping down beforehand. If a lens has better contrast stopped down a bit, you may find that focus peaking works better if there is enough light.

It is pretty cool to be able to use some great SLR glass on the Q -- every lens becomes something totally different from what we're used to -- for me, this is the most exciting aspect of the Q.

Scott
01-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OM 50 1.8 on the Q

Hi a few shots using the OM 50 1.8.. ISO 400 F4 , DNG processed in CS5. the last 3 are through a window. A bit hard to focus but quite good when it works.Have many OM lenses to test,200 F4 ,135 F3.5, 35-105 3.5/4.5, 24 2.8...the 200 & zoom so far seem to have potential, also the 35-105 worked very well on my Oly DSLR,which surprised me for zoom.

Attached Images

01-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #20

Original Poster
Hi Shanti...
Thanks for sharing. I Have always been impressed with most OM lenses, and had hoped they would work ok on the Q. Your examples prove they work quite well. I have a few questions if you don't mind:
  1. Which Capture Mode are you using with adapted lenses?
    2. What is the sweet spot aperture for the 50 1.8 lens. I see you used F4 for your shots
    3. What brand adapter are you using, and is it a tight fit on camera/lens?
    4. Any other suggestions or tips using the OM lenses?
    5. How are you releasing the shutter, manual, electronic or timer?

Thanks,
Lacro
01-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Hi Lacro
only M or AV or Movie modes work, no SR except in movie
F4 -5.6 on the Q, on my Oly 2.8 was quite sharp
adpater from Olympus OM mount Lens to Pentax Q P/Q PQ mount camera adapter Tripod mount | eBay ,have not measured it,lens will focus past infinity,which is normal for these old ones
handheld is hard as no SR,so shutter must be fast min 250 or more for the 50mm, tripod is a must for anything longer..yet to get 'good' results with the 200, but don't have the best tripod
use self timer 2sec timer when in tripod,would be nice with Android app for remote--maybe it can be done somehow.only had Q a few weeks now
want to try my DA300 but adapter is so $$
hope this helps
Cheers Shanti
01-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shanti is there a reason you aren't using SR with adapted lenses for stills?
thanks
barondla

01-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Shanti is there a reason you aren't using SR with adapted lenses for stills?
thanks
barondla
please tell me how? I can't activate..only in video it works??
01-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
please tell me how? I can't activate..only in video it works??
Make sure you update the Q firmware to the latest version, so that it will ask for a focal length and let you actvate SR.
Also will allow focus peaking.
01-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Make sure you update the Q firmware to the latest version, so that it will ask for a focal length and let you actvate SR.
Crew;
When the screen asks for focal length, am I entering the actual lens focal length (what if it's a zoom), or the crop factor focal length? Also, is their instructions on how to use focus peaking in the manual?

L
01-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are supposed to enter the actual focal length of the lens. For a zoom I've seen different opinions, some say shortest, some say longest.
Best to enter what you plan to shoot the most at, other wise the SR may be too much or too little.

The manual was written before focus peaking was added. The Pentax adapter mentions Focus Peaking but only in passing, saying that it helps focus by emphasizing the outlines of images displayed on the monitor.

To activate Peaking go to the AF menu option and you can turn it on from there.

You can also turn on the focus assist magnification in the same part of the menu.

To activate it while shooting hit the OK button.
01-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #27
Veteran Member

it does ask for focal length, and I set it but still no SR? its ver 1.0 firmware..would love focus peaking..must try to update
01-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
it does ask for focal length, and I set it but still no SR? its ver 1.0 firmware..would love focus peaking..must try to update
Shanti...
If you don't already know, there is a separate firmware update for both the body and the lens.
01-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lacro Quote
Shanti...
If you don't already know, there is a separate firmware update for both the body and the lens.

got it now..user error was thinking of the K5II & adapter
now must test lens again with SR & focus peaking love this Q..can get addictive
01-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #30

Original Poster
You are supposed to enter the actual focal length of the lens. For a zoom I've seen different opinions, some say shortest, some say longest.
Best to enter what you plan to shoot the most at, other wise the SR may be too much or too little.
Thanks, Crew.
I am still a little confused about what to enter when using my 100MM adapted lens, Is it 100 or 550?. I believe your are indicating it's 100. Would you please clarify.

The reason I ask is I was reading this thread about Focus Peaking: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/201857-pentax-q10-focus-peaking-impressions.html

Panoguy wrote:

"Next, yes, you can input the focal length of your lens for shake reduction. Because of the crop factor and variability of types of lenses you can attach, you input the computed *equivalent focal length* with the 5.5x multiplier, and the Q10 will remember the last 10 you used for quick recall later. Note that it goes up to 9999.9mm for those of you with a 1200mm f/8 lens and 1.4x TC"