Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #1

OM glass suggestions

I have searched through most of the threads looking for Q owners trying OM manual lenses on the Q. I haven't found too much. I have some lenses from my film days, and would like to know if it's worth getting an adapter for the Q? Also, suggestions for an adapter that is reasonable $ that works. Should I look for one with tripod mount? Do I have to use DOF preview button on the OM lens to stop down for shooting? From my list below, is there anything that would be useful with the Q, and justify getting the adapter?

Here's my list of OM manual glass and accessories:
  • 28 F3.5
    50 F1.8
    100 F2.8
    80-200 F 4.5 (Vivatar)
    14MM Extension Tube
    25MM Extension Tube

Thanks,
Lacro

01-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Get an Olympus E-P1 if you want to adapt slr lenses.
01-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
Riv

Photos: Albums
I don't own any Oly glass, but if I did then I consider trying. There's an adapter on fleebay (the RJ model. Not an endorsement) for $33.xx with free shipping (but from China). It includes the tripod mount (which you'd want) and Appears to have a tab to hold the aperture linkage in the active state. If that's true, then the metering would be live as you turn the aperture ring. If you updated the firmware then SR would work as well. The primes you have are likely the best candidates, provided you thought they were sharp (enough for you) with whatever camera you had them on. $33 is a pretty low risk adventure, and it's part of the fun with the Q

Let us know how it goes if you give it a try.
01-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Get an Olympus E-P1 if you want to adapt slr lenses.
I'm aware of the easy adaptability of OM manual lenses to 4/3 cameras, but I didn't buy an Oly or Panny. I am asking about the adaptability of these lenses to my new Q. Just looking for a little help...

01-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lacro Quote
I'm aware of the easy adaptability of OM manual lenses to 4/3 cameras, but I didn't buy an Oly or Panny. I am asking about the adaptability of these lenses to my new Q. Just looking for a little help...
Well, all of those lenses you listed will become telephoto to extreme telephoto lenses. If you want to use the 100 or 80-200 at all you will need an adapter with a tripod mount. You will not get shallow DoF unless you use in-camera "blur control".

I was just relating that IMO the average user would be better served with a M4/3 or NEX. If you want to adapt lenses on the Q look into C or D mount lenses and hope that someone makes a CS mount adapter
01-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bought my Q-Olympus OM adapter when Q first came out. So it is really two adapters- a Q-C, and C-OM. There is a tab inside adapter to actuate the OM aperture. Holding dof preview button in is not required. My adapter doesn't have a tripod adapter and I wish it did. You will be fine hanging 28 and 50 off the Q tripod socket. The 100 will okay, but more stable with tripod mount on lens adapter. The zoom would definetly need a tripod foot on the adapter( zooms were heavy back then).

Haven't shot any of your OM lenses. Would expect the primes to do well. The zoom may exhibit fringing. Part of the fun of the Q is the experimentation. Don't forget to blacken the adapter insides and beef up the tripod foot.
have fun
barondla
01-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Well, all of those lenses you listed will become telephoto to extreme telephoto lenses. If you want to use the 100 or 80-200 at all you will need an adapter with a tripod mount. You will not get shallow DoF unless you use in-camera "blur control".

I was just relating that IMO the average user would be better served with a M4/3 or NEX. If you want to adapt lenses on the Q look into C or D mount lenses and hope that someone makes a CS mount adapter
I do understand the limitations of adapting these lenses, but the fact I already have them, and the cost of the adapter is not too much, I would like to experiment. In the end, I will probably agree with your suggestion, and get a 4/3 camera or get rid of all these old dust collectors BTW/ I'm about 30 miles west of you!

01-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Bought my Q-Olympus OM adapter when Q first came out. So it is really two adapters- a Q-C, and C-OM. There is a tab inside adapter to actuate the OM aperture. Holding dof preview button in is not required. My adapter doesn't have a tripod adapter and I wish it did. You will be fine hanging 28 and 50 off the Q tripod socket. The 100 will okay, but more stable with tripod mount on lens adapter. The zoom would definetly need a tripod foot on the adapter( zooms were heavy back then).

Haven't shot any of your OM lenses. Would expect the primes to do well. The zoom may exhibit fringing. Part of the fun of the Q is the experimentation. Don't forget to blacken the adapter insides and beef up the tripod foot.
have fun
barondla
I am especially interested in trying the 100, it's a tiny lens about the length of the 02 zoom. It's a super sharp portrait lens. I am interested in what the effective focal length will be on the Q with a 100. Is there a formula to calculate it ? Also, will my extension tubes be useful for macro work with any of my lenses? I know I can experiment when I get an adapter, but wondered what has already be tried?
01-13-2013, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am especially interested in trying the 100, it's a tiny lens about the length of the 02 zoom. It's a super sharp portrait lens. I am interested in what the effective focal length will be on the Q with a 100. Is there a formula to calculate it ? Also, will my extension tubes be useful for macro work with any of my lenses? I know I can experiment when I get an adapter, but wondered what has already be tried?
The crop factor is 5.5x. So the 100mm will have the equivalent fov of a 550mm lens on 35mm. I'm not sure at what point diffraction will become an issue.

To calculate the DoF use the Online Depth of Field Calculator

Online Depth of Field Calculator

The Q is there, you just have to scroll down to where the cameras are individually listed.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-13 at 7.42.32 PM.png
Views: 361
Size:  133.5 KB

Last edited by boriscleto; 01-13-2013 at 05:45 PM.
01-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW/ I'm about 30 miles west of you!
You should consider coming to a Northern Exposure meeting. It would be nice to have someone who shoots something other than Canikon there
01-13-2013, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have adapted Pentax K, Pentax 42mm, Argus C3, C mount and CS mount lenses to my Q. It's not about what camera the lens was made for but how good the lens is.

I have been searching pawn shops and estate sales looking for lenses, If I find a great lens for Olympus, Canon or whatever I would just get an adapter and try it, I even made my CS adapter. Kind of making a hobby out of my Q

Hans
01-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #12

I have been using SLR lenses on the Q for the past couple months. The adapter was under 20 dollars to use the Nikkor lenses and I have to say it is worth it. I bought the Q because it is a nice compact street camera. I am not professional photographer nor do I sell my photography to anyone. The added bonus was that I could use these SLR lenses and practice with something other than street photography. I have started doing wildlife photography (birds mostly) and it is very helpful to my experience. What makes a great photographer is not the camera or lenses by themselves but the person behind the camera. If you already own the Q, SLR lenses and the adapter is the only thing keeping you back from expanding your skill then I say go for it. You can always buy a better camera + modern lenses in the future if you find that the Q is holding you back. Wish I could help you with what lenses you have but I am not too experienced in that area.

check out this thread of adapted lenses: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested-q-r...ce-thread.html
01-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Forgot to cover the extension tubes. They will work fine with your OM lenses for macro. Think of your 100 lens at the minimum close focus distance. Now think what it would look like at the same distance with a 550mm lens. Now add the extension tubes for even greater magnification. It will be grand. This is a good reason to get an adapter with a tripod mount.

Glad you are trying shots other than street. It all adds to your experience.
Enjoy the experimentation.
thanks
barondla
01-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #14

Original Poster
Well...I got my $12 Fotodiox Q/OM lens adapter today. I have,only taken a couple shots with the camera so far with the 02 lens, but I couldn't wait to attach an OM lens to see if it will work. The Fotodiox adapter looks like it's pretty well made, however, it is a loose fit especially at the lens end. The camera to adapter fit is a little better. I don't know how much of an issue this may be, anyone else experience this? The inside should probably be painted flat black as it is now semi flat.

I really don't know what I am doing yet, but I couldn't resist trying one of the lenses I bought 35 years ago! I grabbed my trusty 50 1.8 lens that I have carried for decades with my film OM-1, including during the 1980 winter Olympics! I really don't know how to use adapted lenses, but I set the camera on manual, and played around with settings that I don't yet know how to use. I ended up using 125 shutter speed, F5.6 Aperture, and ISO 400. I used a little fold-up plastic tripod for my shots. I focused wide open as best I could, and stopped down to F5.6, however, with the lens stopped down the focusing was the same as with lens wide open?? Do I need to focus wide open or can I focus stopped down?

My first shots were dark. I snapped open the flash, but not much better. Then I set the flash to manual, and my very first shot came out way better than I expected.
It was taken from about 10' away. I think my old lenses may have new life. This truly is a fun camera!!

I certainly have a lot to learn, and I appreciate any suggestions for using adapted lenses. Any ideas what the splash on the wall to the right behind the subject is caused by in my photo?

Thanks,
Lacro
Attached Images

01-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Hi Lacro,

Good move trying the other settings in the flash menu. Flash with the Q is almost totally unintuitive. The reason why the exposure was good is because the Q uses P-TTL and meters through the lens for the popup flash, even with adapted lenses. You probably didn't notice, but it preflashes, meters, and cuts off the flash on exposure to give you a reasonable exposure with the shutter speed (1/13 with 3rd party adapters and whatever lenses) and the aperture (stopped down at the lens). It's possible that the flash (either the popup or externals) will not fire every time -- we've seen different behavior from different bodies.

If you try an external flash that isn't P-TTL compatible, you have to use Manual or Auto mode (if it has either), and turn the flash "off" in the flash menu. With a P-TTL compatible flash, use the setting that you do for the popup, and set the popup to not flash unless extended. -- It's wierd. . .

Look at the shape of the shadow in the light splash, and you'll see the body of the cord plug -- it's the flash reflected off of the shiny black surface underneath the cord.

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 01-18-2013 at 10:29 PM.