Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 01:28 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Generic Battery Caution

Have had my Q for a few days now and today I switched in some generic batteries I've had from my Kodak Zi8 which uses the Klic 7004 type battery that some listings on amazon list as interchangeable with the the D-LI68. I figured the slightly higher mAh rating would've been an improvement but nearly gave myself a heartattack when the battery failed to eject from the battery compartment, luckily some gentle tapping was enough to start it sliding out but just wanted to post this with a pic to advise some caution if anyone tries these type generics that have slightly squarer edges to them. The name brand Kodak Klic 7004 is an exact match in size and power ratings and perfect backup though and a little cheaper too than Pentax brand.

Attached Images

01-14-2013, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #2

Original Poster
Well at near midnight its a bit hard to "Buy real gear and you wont have to worry about the lack of oxygen." When the nearest Pentax store to me is 127miles away....
Was just sharing some insight I gained and attempting to add to the knowledge base of the community based on equipment I already had on hand and that is out there being listed as a compatible replacement for the Pentax D-LI68....hopefully some of the other viewers or lurkers to the forum find it helpful as I know lurking and learning on these forums is why I chose to buy into the Pentax brand.
01-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #3
Banned

Attach a piece of celophane tape to use as a tab if there are any worries.
01-14-2013, 03:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Attach a piece of celophane tape to use as a tab if there are any worries.
Yup, just what I was thinking....

01-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for posting about this potential problem.
I have a couple of generic 1000mAh batteries waiting for my Q.
FedEx says it should arrive by Wednesday, can't wait!
01-14-2013, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Attach a piece of cellophane tape to use as a tab if there are any worries.
Mighty fine idea.

By the way - the Wasabi dual battery & charger pack for $20 at Amazon is an outstanding deal. The batteries are at least as good as the original Pentax battery, in my experience.

You can also buy the individual Wasabi batteries for $11.99 from Amazon, but 2 batteries & the charger (which also works in your car) for $20 is a killer deal.
01-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #7

I have those same generics left over from my Fuji 3D camera. They were junk. One swelled up and got stuck in the camera like yours did. The other one shoots about 10 photos fully charged in both the Fuji and the Q before dying. I have the 2 Wasabi and charger deal coming from Amazon. There's no way they could be worse.

01-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
I have those same generics left over from my Fuji 3D camera. They were junk. One swelled up and got stuck in the camera like yours did. The other one shoots about 10 photos fully charged in both the Fuji and the Q before dying. I have the 2 Wasabi and charger deal coming from Amazon. There's no way they could be worse.
How old is that one?
01-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #9

How old is that one?
It's about 2 years old. But even brand new it never got more shots than that. Same with the one that swelled up. The Fuji is power hungry so I thought I'd get more shots with the Q, but nope.
01-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In your picture the one on the right appears to have the wrapping bulging a bit from the sides.
Maybe this is causing a snag on eject?
The shape being more square should not be an issue as the only thing that holds the battery is the spring latch, the battery remains with the rear edge exposed otherwise.
01-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the verification, I was getting some weird battery indication levels when using it too back and forth between 3/4's green, then yellow then red, then back to green but only got maybe two dozen shots before it kicked off the camera as depleted, figured it was just cause I hadn't used em or cycled them thru the charger in a awhile but seems like the are just junk.
I'll have to try out the wasabi's they seem to be getting good feedback and seem to be deal for the international adaptable charger alone....
01-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #12

Original Poster
Yea, looking at them again this morning its probably not so much the shape, but the fact that the label wrapper extends farther out up and over the indented edge at the ends of the battery as opposed to laying down inside it like the factory ones, but with post_ eos's comments of them swelling and having crappy life too I still think its best to steer clear. Even though they appear to be a deal coming up as the fourth recommendation and cheapest on amazon in a search for "Pentax D-LI68".
01-19-2013, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Fuji NP40 1400mah fits with no problem and is very inexpensive.
01-19-2013, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #14

I have the 2 Wasabi and charger deal coming from Amazon. There's no way they could be worse.
Update: They showed up a couple days ago. I took 32 shots before the battery meter went down a bar. That's WAY better than the generics we were talking about here, but I don't think it's up to same level as the stock battery. I'm going on an outing Monday with the Q as my only camera so I'll be able to see how the Wasabis do in extended action.
04-02-2014, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #15

Here is a good price on the Pentax D-Li68. I ordered two a few days ago and they arrived today:

Pentax D-Li68
Low Stock

Was: $39.99
Price Break: -$20.00
Shipping: FREE

Your price $19.99

Pentax D-Li68 Rechargeable battery for select PENTAX cameras at Crutchfield.com