Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #1

K-Q adapters & C mount lens questions

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, now that I've a Q, I would like to get some accessories. So ebay is the place to go, but unfortunately they don't describe the stuff very well.

First, for the third party K-Q adapter, how can I identify (from photos and description) if it it allows aparture control? The fotodiox one does have aperture control, what about the rest of the ebay ones?

Secondly, how can I identify if a CCTV lens is C or CS mount basing on the photo and specifications? It seems most new lenses are CS mount. Is it possible for the Q to work with CS lenses?

Thanks,

01-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only one I know of on ebay that also has aperture control is the one from RJ RJ Pentax PK PK A AF Da Lens to Pentax Q Adapter with Tripod Mount Aperture Ring | eBay

I haven't tried any c mounts, you may want to ask in one of the threads about that topic.
01-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, there's a C mount thread here?
01-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by weijen Quote
Secondly, how can I identify if a CCTV lens is C or CS mount basing on the photo and specifications? It seems most new lenses are CS mount. Is it possible for the Q to work with CS lenses?

Thanks,
Most sellers I have dealt with are very loose with the description of C & CS mount lenses. I have ordered 6 C mount lenses and I was sure by the description I was getting C mount only to receive 5 CS lenses and only 1 C mount. Most suppliers list lenses from several manufactures and may not have them in stock then ship the closest thing they have. I have ordered lenses based on images of C mount on a sellers ad and still received CS. Based on what I have received to date CCTV lens are made to resolve about 3 or 4 mp image and on a 12 mp camera they are soft but a 2.5mm sure is wide.

Hans
01-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First, for the third party K-Q adapter, how can I identify (from photos and description) if it it allows aparture control? The fotodiox one does have aperture control, what about the rest of the ebay ones?
Here's the one I have. It has aperture control & it's $26 from Amazon. Same as the RJ, only cheaper. The ones with aperture control have a ring that says "Lock" and "Open".

Personally, I'd e-mail the seller and make sure it's C-mount before you buy. You can't normally use CS mount on a Q. The registration distance is too short.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
01-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Most sellers I have dealt with are very loose with the description of C & CS mount lenses. I have ordered 6 C mount lenses and I was sure by the description I was getting C mount only to receive 5 CS lenses and only 1 C mount

I won't really blame the ebay sellers. I've looked at a few lenses at my campus labs. None of them have any indications whether they are C or CS. In the lab I take care of, there are 2 CCTVs which we use for robot vision. If I swap the lenses of the cameras, neither could focus at all. So my guess is that one is a C and the other is a CS. The thing is, there are absolutely no indications on any of the cameras and lenses that identify the kind of mount or the flange distance!