Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Auto white balance is the devil. It's so easy to correct consistent white balance, even if it's wrong, there's no reason to EVER use AWB unless your lighting is changing from shot to shot (i.e. moving from tungsten to daylight to shade)
So, what's your WB set up on the Q ?

Being used to the K7/K5 with the auto WB quite good for outdoors shots, I thought nothing of leaving the Q "do its job".

Cheers.

JP

01-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Snow, cold, seeds, and staying very still. It's chickadees that will come first.
That must be the "trick" !

JP
01-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was immediately going to suggest a cross process filter. I've done CF runs with my K-x before deliberately trying to get this kind of result.
01-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
So, what's your WB set up on the Q ? Being used to the K7/K5 with the auto WB quite good for outdoors shots, I thought nothing of leaving the Q "do its job".
I don't actually own the Q, but it's not the Q's auto white balance in particular with which I have the problem, it's the fundamental concept of AWB. I frequently, more often than not in fact, forgot to set my white balance when I'm shooting. Usually it's set to daylight, but it really could be anything, but you know what I do when I notice that my screen is too blue or too amber? I leave it. I go on shooting the rest of the day with the same wrong settings as long as the color temperature of the ambient light doesn't change. Then I get home, and it takes me exactly 4 clicks and two keystrokes to fix the white balance of the entire afternoon.

My secret? I shoot in RAW and I batch process. I normally try to shoot a white balance target too at the beginning of my session, but if I forget, I just choose "tungsten", or "shade", or whatever conditions under which I was shooting in my software. There is no penalty for setting your white balance in post if you shoot in RAW. I think even if I shot Jpeg, I would at the very least choose one of the camera's presets, or shoot a gray card, but then leave it. AWB guesses differently for each shot, and so although they may all be close, from shot to shot the photos come out differently and have to be corrected individually. Of course some times AWB can't make up it's mind and the photos come out very differently, as you discovered.

Basically ask yourself this, "is the color of my light changing from shot to shot?" If the answer is no, then don't use AWB. If you're chasing the kids around the house and their running in and out, or hiking down a trail moving in and out of the deep shade, then maybe.

01-16-2013, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't actually own the Q, but it's not the Q's auto white balance in particular with which I have the problem, it's the fundamental concept of AWB. I frequently, more often than not in fact, forgot to set my white balance when I'm shooting. Usually it's set to daylight, but it really could be anything, but you know what I do when I notice that my screen is too blue or too amber? I leave it. I go on shooting the rest of the day with the same wrong settings as long as the color temperature of the ambient light doesn't change. Then I get home, and it takes me exactly 4 clicks and two keystrokes to fix the white balance of the entire afternoon.

My secret? I shoot in RAW and I batch process.
By almost the same reasoning, I always use AWB. Is there some reason that it's better to get a worse jpeg? (Of course, these days I also don't bother to get any separate jpegs, but there's a jpeg embedded in the RAW, and that's what I get to see when looking at the image in camera. And I'd rather have that usually be decent than consistently wrong.)

The only argument I can think of for shooting with a fixed wrong white balance is if you worry a lot about IQ, and want to have a linear white balance, so you know when a channel is actually blown. This is not how I use the Q (or any camera, but especially not the Q).
01-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
By almost the same reasoning, I always use AWB. Is there some reason that it's better to get a worse jpeg? (Of course, these days I also don't bother to get any separate jpegs, but there's a jpeg embedded in the RAW, and that's what I get to see when looking at the image in camera. And I'd rather have that usually be decent than consistently wrong.)

The only argument I can think of for shooting with a fixed wrong white balance is if you worry a lot about IQ, and want to have a linear white balance, so you know when a channel is actually blown. This is not how I use the Q (or any camera, but especially not the Q).
Hi drougge,

My thoughts also, but put much more succinctly, and I couldn't think of any possible practical reason to purposely maintain an incorrect WB. If one is going to batch correct WB by customized preset in RAW, it certainly doesn't matter if it's a little off or grossly so, and it also doesn't matter if the WB is consistently off or by slight variations from shot to shot.

Scott
01-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster

My secret? I shoot in RAW and I batch process. I normally try to shoot a white balance target too at the beginning of my session, but if I forget, I just choose "tungsten", or "shade", or whatever conditions under which I was shooting in my software. There is no penalty for setting your white balance in post if you shoot in RAW. I think even if I shot Jpeg, I would at the very least choose one of the camera's presets, or shoot a gray card, but then leave it. AWB guesses differently for each shot, and so although they may all be close, from shot to shot the photos come out differently and have to be corrected individually. Of course some times AWB can't make up it's mind and the photos come out very differently, as you discovered.

Basically ask yourself this, "is the color of my light changing from shot to shot?" If the answer is no, then don't use AWB. If you're chasing the kids around the house and their running in and out, or hiking down a trail moving in and out of the deep shade, then maybe.
And that makes sense as always to shoot RAW.
As I mentioned earlier, I do use RAW 100% of the time with the K7/K5 and I totally "missed" that witht he Q , go figure!

JP