Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bad shots with the Q -- help me know what I did wrong.

I was out this afternoon and took some quick shots with the Q/01 lens at very close range, set at "portrait" (my mistake, I never had the chance to set it up otherwise) and these were the results ... quite bad as you can tell !
The WB seems to shift from one "hue" to another and, of course, thet are pretty much all overexposed. I know that the black glove may have fooled the metering, but I am more worried about the shifting in hue/colour.
It goes from blue, to purple, to green ... ??

Any ideas what happened? This is a first for me, being used to the K5.

Last edited by jpzk; 08-30-2015 at 07:12 PM.
01-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do you have the "cross-process" filter applied? I've read that it creates this effect.
01-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
Do you have the "cross-process" filter applied? I've read that it creates this effect.
Thanks Dave.

Shhhh ...... I just saw that that little dial at the front was set a cross processing !!

I never realized that when I was taking the pics .... my bad !

JP
01-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thanks Dave.

Shhhh ...... I just saw that that little dial at the front was set a cross processing !!

I never realized that when I was taking the pics .... my bad !

JP
It's happened to all of us. That little dial in the front is incredibly convenient but takes adding another routine in checking the camera.

01-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It's happened to all of us. That little dial in the front is incredibly convenient but takes adding another routine in checking the camera.
And you know what buzzed in my head when I saw the pics ... ? I immediately thought that this Q was "not for the birds" !! and I was ready to ditch it!

JP
01-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Shoot RAW+ and you'll always be able to "de-process" any in camera effects you don't like.
01-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Otherwise neat shots!
I feed birds, and would like to know your trick for getting them to come to your hand.
I've tried a few times, without success.

01-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree with Bob...neat idea for shots!

I knew there had to be a logical explanation. No camera has white balance THAT BAD! (Though I admit I've never tried the camera on a Windows Phone).

Glad I was able to help.
01-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I immediately started giggling when I saw the series of pics! Been there and done that. . .I remember that my immediate thought at the time was that Pentax had made such strides in Auto WB, but with the Q, they must have reverted to some system of random WB choice. . . then "random" clicked, and I checked the mode setting for Cross Processing and ended up slapping myself a few times. It's a lesson that I'll probably not forget. . .

Scott
01-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Auto white balance is the devil. It's so easy to correct consistent white balance, even if it's wrong, there's no reason to EVER use AWB unless your lighting is changing from shot to shot (i.e. moving from tungsten to daylight to shade)
01-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I feed birds, and would like to know your trick for getting them to come to your hand
Snow, cold, seeds, and staying very still. It's chickadees that will come first.
01-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Shoot RAW+ and you'll always be able to "de-process" any in camera effects you don't like.
Oh gosh ... This is going to be a very embarassing thread for me: I always shoot RAW with the K5/K7 and, wouldn't you know it, I had this Q on JPEG all the time.

Better get my act together, and thanks for the reminder.

JP
01-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Otherwise neat shots!
I feed birds, and would like to know your trick for getting them to come to your hand.
I've tried a few times, without success.
I'm not sure about the "trick", though this place I went to is rather wild, with hardly anyone in sight especially this time of the year.
There is a very small "inn" down the road (open all year, God knows why), so I assume the innkeeper feeds them ??
They're probably already "used to people" but also very hungry ... Not sure.

Anyway, I did have similar "success" right here at home with some chickadees but it took a lot of time/patience, standing there with seeds in my hand/glove, day after day ... until one day a chickadee dared approaching and finally decided that I was no danger.
The others soon followed and a nuthatch even tested the ground once.

So, I suppose the "trick" is patience ... and some luck !

JP
01-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
I agree with Bob...neat idea for shots!

I knew there had to be a logical explanation. No camera has white balance THAT BAD! (Though I admit I've never tried the camera on a Windows Phone).

Glad I was able to help.
No camera has white balance THAT BAD! .. I must agree with you here!

Thanks again.

JP
01-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I immediately started giggling when I saw the series of pics! Been there and done that. . .I remember that my immediate thought at the time was that Pentax had made such strides in Auto WB, but with the Q, they must have reverted to some system of random WB choice. . . then "random" clicked, and I checked the mode setting for Cross Processing and ended up slapping myself a few times. It's a lesson that I'll probably not forget. . .

Scott
Albeit very embarrassing, this proves again that we always learn something new everyday ... "know-it-all" isn't my middle name, that's for sure !

JP