Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Quick & dirty macro experiments on the Q

Didn't have anything else to do last evening, so I thought I'd try a few macro shots of stuff around the house:

45 RPM record grooves:

Strand of thread:

Tip of sewing needle:

A hair from my head:

Setup:
Pentax Q camera body
Fotodiox Q to K adapter
Promaster 100mm macro lens
Stacked & reversed Pentax M 1.4/50mm lens
Mounted on a tripod, 12 sec. self timer release

Focusing without a focusing rail was a pain. Gotta get one of those. ;-)

I know they're not awesome photos, but it shows the close-up potential of the Q.

This Q is a whole lotta fun on the bun.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

01-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice ones! I really like the needle as that is an item we see ans smooth but in reality as you show it's not even close to that. I guess that your adapter got a tripod mount? I had a tough time with the Sigma 105mm and KIWI adapter as I didn't dare to mount the camera on a tripode without any lens support. I wonder hom much weight the small Q-mount can take?
01-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #3

Those are amazing. But you really need to clean your records
01-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
Those are amazing. But you really need to clean your records
LOL. Actually, I did brush that one with a carbon fiber brush. It was a crappy 45 I have no use for, other than photo fodder.

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I guess that your adapter got a tripod mount?
It does, but I used the tripod socket on the Q. The 100mm macro lens is very light & the 50 didn't add much weight. The rig was pointing straight down so there wasn't much stress on it.

01-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
LOL. Actually, I did brush that one with a carbon fiber brush. It was a crappy 45 I have no use for, other than photo fodder.

It does, but I used the tripod socket on the Q. The 100mm macro lens is very light & the 50 didn't add much weight. The rig was pointing straight down so there wasn't much stress on it.
Maybe I'm overprotective. How much does your macro weigh? I'm concerned with the weight of the sigma combined with the shift of balance so far away from mount when fully extended. Maybe I should mail Pentax for advice?
01-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Nice ones! I really like the needle as that is an item we see ans smooth but in reality as you show it's not even close to that. I guess that your adapter got a tripod mount? I had a tough time with the Sigma 105mm and KIWI adapter as I didn't dare to mount the camera on a tripode without any lens support. I wonder hom much weight the small Q-mount can take?
I've carried my black Q around quite a bit over the past year with up to 200mm f2.8 and 300mm f4 class lenses -- considerably over one lb and up to about 2 lbs (0.85 - 1 kg), and there's been no damage. I use a Camdapter Cam Strap, so am typically holding the body with the lenses supported only by the mount when walking around.

When shooting handheld, I do primarily support the lens, which is natural since I need to focus manually, and from a tripod, the Q body is essentially mounted on the lens and the mount is only supporting the body's weight since I use a tripod ring or other support mounted to the lens as opposed to using the tripod mount on the camera body with larger lenses. On the few occasions where I've mounted a much heavier lens on the Q, I've carried it supporting the weight of the lens -- this just seems prudent.

I'm a bit tough on my cameras this way -- I like to carry them in my hand, and ready to shoot, even if I am ultimately going to mount it on a tripod/gimbal, so my DSLRs from the DS through all of the flagships since the K10 are most often carried with over 2 lbs, and as much as 7 lbs (300mm f2.8 class lenses) mounted.

My experience tells me that both the K mount and Q mount can take as much lens weight as the great majority of shooters would reasonably hang on them.

Scott
01-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How much does your macro weigh?
The AF version is 11 ounces, but my MF version feels lighter. It has a plastic body, so it's very light.
01-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #8

Nice shots - the crop factor of the Q definitely works in its favour for areas like this.

01-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NeilGratton Quote
Nice shots - the crop factor of the Q definitely works in its favour for areas like this.
Actually it's not the crop factor, per se, that gives the Q its edge -- it's the sensor resolution, i.e. pixel density. Looks like a good high-resolution combination of lenses.

I've been doing a bit of experimenting with my macro lenses. Here's a shot that was taken at about 1.3:1, then cropped somewhat; the result represents about 2x3mm of subject:

It's a feather. "Bokina" (Vivitar Series I 90/2.5) on its 1:1 adapter, plus the Pentax helicoid extension tube.