Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
2013 Pentax Q Lens Roadmap

Pentax has just posted a new lens roadmap for the Q to their Facebook page:

PENTAX's Photos | Facebook

In summary, for 2013 (or later) they are looking at two more zooms (roughly 16-35mm FF equiv and roughly 30-70mm FF equiv) and a mount cap lens.

01-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the same roadmap that they had at photokina.

It doesn't say anywhere that those two lenses are zooms. In fact I believe that they will all be primes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Interesting about the zooms. I thought their big fuzzy ovals indicated zooms. My bad.

I like your interpretation better. Some nice primes would be great.
01-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A 16-18mm equivalent non-fishy lens is on my wish list! The macro would be nice too, also as a tele. The cap lens is not my priority but the Olympus one is actually pretty impressive when it comes to performance so who knows?

01-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I am actually hoping they'll add an ultra-telephoto. I'm thinking a 45-75 F2.8. Since they've rolled out the 06 lens this could be a great addition.

As to the wide-angle prime, a 28mm or 35mm 35mm equivalent would be nice as the current zoom lens is quite big by Q standards.

Of course, either a 24mm or 20mm would be great to expand the current available focal lengths so that would probably be my preference given the speed, ie, slow that Pentax (Ricoh) roll out lenses.
01-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #6

Im looking forward to the cap lens hope its not over 50mm equivalent
01-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Classico Quote
Im looking forward to the cap lens hope its not over 50mm equivalent
I find it illogical to have it at the same focal length as the 01 Prime so my guess us ~60mm or ~35mm.

01-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #8

I have the 8.5mm prime that came with my Q. The 50mm fov is pretty tight for my kind of use. I would really like the new batch of Qs to come with 35mm f1.4 equivalent. Given the wider angle and small sensor, even f1.4 would give a decent DOF. Since the lenses are so tiny, making it f1.4 shouldn't really cost a lot more glass. IMHO, that would really kill the competitors. No one would compare the Q to compacts anymore.
01-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I find it illogical to have it at the same focal length as the 01 Prime so my guess us ~60mm or ~35mm.
Wouldn't the focal length be the distance from the sensor to the lens mount, plus a millimeter or two since the lens will have no or hardly any glass in it? If so we're looking at a 4-6mm or thereabout, so that would be equivalent to a 25-35mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-17-2013, 01:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Wouldn't the focal length be the distance from the sensor to the lens mount, plus a millimeter or two since the lens will have no or hardly any glass in it? If so we're looking at a 4-6mm or thereabout, so that would be equivalent to a 25-35mm.
The size of the glass is only relevant for how much light you get, not whether it's a complex optical design or not. (Strictly speaking this is false of course, but at the sizes we're talking about here it's still true.)

But it should still be cheapest to make it simple and therefore the same focal length as the distance from the sensor. Registration distance on the Q is 9.2mm, but they could easily move the glass a little behind the mounting surface. But not to 4mm from the sensor. Maybe to 6mm. Or a little forward (the cap is a few mm thick anyway) to around 12mm.