Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
High Anticipation & High Anxiety

My $200 Groupon Q, with 01 lens, should arrive tomorrow, and I have mixed emotions.
I mainly want to use it as a super telephoto, and a carry everywhere camera

The things I know, or think I do, from reading this forum:
It's very small.
It's a lot of fun.
It can take very nice photos.
I could probably sell the lens alone and re-coup my cost.

The things I worry about:
As a jpeg shooter, and Picasa user, can I get decent results? I'm old, so please don't try to change me.
Will I need a LCD viewfinder?
Is a tripod needed to get even respectable results when shooting with longer glass?
Are the great shots I see posted a result of good technique and/or good post processing?

I have a third party adapter, spare batteries, and own a decent tripod.
Also a K-5, and K-01, and I love 'em both.

Stay tuned!

01-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Relax. All is well. Your Q is a very well built little camera that will bring a smile to your face. Technique ALWAYS matters, you use it with your K-5 and K-01 "love 'em both." JPEG is fine, most Sports Illustrated photographers shoot in it. You have a tripod, so if you need one for the supertelephoto you have one already. There is no LCD viewfinder so you can't need one because you cant have one. You can get an OVF, but you don't NEED one (they just save battery power and you already have spare batteries).

Deep breath. Relax.
01-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter

You will love it. Tripod always helps. You will love it. Your K cams will get less use. you will love it.
thanks
barondla
01-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
As a jpeg shooter, and Picasa user, can I get decent results? I'm old, so please don't try to change me.
Yes; there are plenty of great photos shown here on the forums using in-camera processing.

Will I need a LCD viewfinder?
For super-tele work I find the Hoodman hood loupe very helpful, but not absolutely necessary.

Is a tripod needed to get even respectable results when shooting with longer glass?
No, there have been some very good handheld shots posted. But with, say, a 300mm lens on the Q, the angle of view is so small that it is a real challenge to frame shots without support.

Are the great shots I see posted a result of good technique and/or good post processing?
For the super-tele shots I'd say it's mainly technique. All the little details add up: stable support capable of quick precise movements, such as a gimbal head, reflex sight to help find your subject, LCD loupe to assist with focusing and to deal with bright light; none of these things is required, but they make the process easier and quicker and give you a better chance of getting good shots, especially if you are dealing with uncooperative subjects such as wildlife.

The advantage of the Q for super-tele shooting is the sensor resolution. But to make use of that resolution you need a lens that is up to it, very precise focus, and a stable support. Otherwise your results will be no better than what you could get with the K-5 and a heavy crop.

01-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all, I feel better now!

Didn't mean to get the term wrong about a LCD viewfinder, but this item on Amazon is what I was talking about.

I am now back to high anticipation only!
01-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks all, I feel better now!

Didn't mean to get the term wrong about a LCD viewfinder, but this item on Amazon is what I was talking about.

I am now back to high anticipation only!
Sorry, I see what you meant now. With all the LCD based Electronic Viewfinders and the complaints about Pentax not having one that is what was on my brain as I read your post. I've not used one but others swear by them. If it were me, I'd try it sans any viewfinder attachment first. It really is a nice little camera. My wife even likes it....go figure.
01-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry, I see what you meant now. With all the LCD based Electronic Viewfinders and the complaints about Pentax not having one that is what was on my brain as I read your post. I've not used one but others swear by them. If it were me, I'd try it sans any viewfinder attachment first. It really is a nice little camera. My wife even likes it....go figure.
Thanks for clearing that up.
I'll keep it on my 'wish list' for now.
Glad my wife isn't into photography too, we can't afford that.
01-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for clearing that up.
I'll keep it on my 'wish list' for now.
Glad my wife isn't into photography too, we can't afford that.
She's not, but I'm afraid that the Q may change that.....

01-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #9

As a jpeg shooter, and Picasa user
*not* trying to change anything, but I thought I'd let you know as another Picasa user that it handles DNG raw files just like jpegs. You can even upload to web albums - it auto converts to jpeg for that. So, when using picasa, raw is pretty much the same as jpeg.
01-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
*not* trying to change anything, but I thought I'd let you know as another Picasa user that it handles DNG raw files just like jpegs. You can even upload to web albums - it auto converts to jpeg for that. So, when using picasa, raw is pretty much the same as jpeg.
Thanks for letting me know that, but I have to ask, if Picasa changes the files to jpeg, what is the benefit of shooting raw?
I assume to preserve the raw file if further pp is ever needed/wanted?
Or does it do a better job of converting than the camera?

I like to keep things simple.
01-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #11

if Picasa changes the files to jpeg, what is the benefit of shooting raw?
I assume to preserve the raw file if further pp is ever needed/wanted?
Yeah, that's really just it. It only changes it to jpeg if you upload to web albums, or you can export images to jpeg within it. Otherwise it just allows you to view them while still in raw, in the gallery. My Pentax K200D is my first and only SLR, and I decided to shoot DNG from the beginning, so it wasn't a change for me. It seems to do a pretty good job of interpreting/processing the raw files, better than I can sometimes do . That said, I have no idea how it would handle raw files shot with the Q in any of the modes. If I weren't already financially extended beyond where I'm comfortable being, I'd splurge on a Q and find out
01-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
Yeah, that's really just it. It only changes it to jpeg if you upload to web albums, or you can export images to jpeg within it. Otherwise it just allows you to view them while still in raw, in the gallery. My Pentax K200D is my first and only SLR, and I decided to shoot DNG from the beginning, so it wasn't a change for me. It seems to do a pretty good job of interpreting/processing the raw files, better than I can sometimes do . That said, I have no idea how it would handle raw files shot with the Q in any of the modes. If I weren't already financially extended beyond where I'm comfortable being, I'd splurge on a Q and find out
Thanks for your reply, I'll give it a trial run!