Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do I need the Standard Prime?

I just picked up the Q with Zoom for $259 delivered and was looking for the 01 Prime for a very slime briefcase camera. But it's not being sold in many places and when I can find it it costs more that I paid for the camera and zoom combined.

Is there somewhere I can get one at a decent price?

Do I want this lens?

I am amazed at the build quality of this little beast. It's build like my K5!

Thanks,
joe

01-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 01 Prime is head and shoulders a better lens than the 02. Price and wanting are factors and only you can decide what you are willing to spend on it.
01-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazon has it for about 230 form different non amazon venders
01-17-2013, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joelovotti Quote
Do I want this lens?
Yes.

Buy another Q to get it.

01-17-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with drougge. I bought the Q for that lens alone. It is way better than the 02, and makes a good combo with the 03. It is even cooler with the metal hood.
I now use the 01 with my silver Q-10. The black Q is dedicated to the adaptor.
01-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #6

Yeah, I've been wondering the same question only about the zoom lens. I recently picked up the Q+01 Prime kit on the Groupon sale and so far I think it works pretty well. However, I've been wondering if I should really be worried about saving up to buy the zoom lens, or if I should be fine just using the Prime lens as is.

My primary use for the camera is going to be product shots and some review videos, but I'm also interested in getting into other photography as well. I don't think I'll be needing the zoom, but I just wanted to check to see if it had any qualities that would be overly useful to me.
01-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DarkNexiz Quote
Yeah, I've been wondering the same question only about the zoom lens. I recently picked up the Q+01 Prime kit on the Groupon sale and so far I think it works pretty well. However, I've been wondering if I should really be worried about saving up to buy the zoom lens, or if I should be fine just using the Prime lens as is.

My primary use for the camera is going to be product shots and some review videos, but I'm also interested in getting into other photography as well. I don't think I'll be needing the zoom, but I just wanted to check to see if it had any qualities that would be overly useful to me.
The 02 lens is a bit limited IMHO. It's not as good in low light as the 01. It's zoom is ok but not great on either end. It's AF seems to have a harder time than the 01. I find I like the 03 Fish-Eye, despite it being manual focus, much more and I find it to be a more creatively fun lens as well.

01-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not disagreeing with the praise for the 01, but I find the 02 a fine performer also. Of course the 01 has all the benefits of a fast prime vs. slow zoom, but I'm very happy with the images I've gotten from it. Yes, get the 01, but keep the 02.
01-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #9

On the positive side, the standard prime is one stop brighter than the standard zoom (but still far away from offering real shallow depth of field), it is smaller and also offers a slightly higher resolution.

On the downside, it has a high distortion whereas the standard zoom is more or less distortion free at the same focal length (and if you enable distortion correction, the higher resolution of the standard prime will decrease). Chromatic aberation is also higher (twice as much as the standard zoom, to be precise). And, most important, the focal length is fixed, which makes the lens IMHO much less versatile.

In the end it depends on your preferences. From my point of view, the bright standard prime is only usefull in lowlight situations (only to keep the ISO down) if you have the flexibility to make one step backwards or forwards to compensate for a missing zoom. This however might only work if the distance to your subject is rather low (e.g. portraits). If that is what you are mainly shooting, the standard prime should be fine. However if you also want to capture a whole scene, or have not enough space to step backwards, you might prefer to use the standard zoom at wide angle, or at any other focal length you need;-). I am currently happy with only using the Standard Zoom.
01-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I traded the 01 for the 02 as I want the versatility for trips. As others have said, it depends on what you want to shoot. I did get the fisheye for fun factor. For what you want I say get the 01. You won't be satisfied until you have it
01-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #11

For similar money to the prime, you can get the new 15-45 f/2.8. Combined with the 02 zoom, that gives you a big 28-248mm equivalent zoom range. The 15-45 is also said to be a good performer.

I like shooting with primes but the Q is a second camera for me. The range of the two zooms combined is incredibly versatile and, to my mind, a better value. Plus the 02 is actually pretty good in the middle of its range where it overlaps with the 01 prime.

Obviously, YMMV.
01-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't think the 02 is that much worse than the prime -- except for low light, where the prime is a bit slow at the longer focal lengths. For daytime use, it's not bad at all, and it also has greater max magnifications & closer minimum focus distance than the 01.

Frankly, the 01 is decent enough but not a 'special' lens like a 'Limited'-series for K-mount. It has fairly heavy barrel distortion for a normal prime, and can produce some ugly flare & reflections. It's greatest attributes are compact size and speed that pretty much no compacts offer at the 'normal' focal length. And unlike most fast lenses on larger formats, with the plentiful depth-of-field the small sensor offers (forces) you'll be shooting wide open or close to wide open often.

So, 01 is great to have, and a pretty important member of my Q kit, but in the end its the speed & size that keeps it there, more than any real problem with the 02.
01-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

To each their own. I get much sharper and better contrast photos out of the 01 consistently than the 02 (at any focal length). Same photographer, same camera, same conditions in the field. Bottom line for me, if I could only have one lens for the Q it would be the 01 - no hesitation.
01-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #14

As a new owner, I find this thread interesting. I really wanted the 01 lens, but when I decided to pull the trigger, only the 02 kit was available at a good price. After reading the different view points in this thread, I think I will give the zoom a fair chance, as getting the 01 lens may require buying another camera to get it
I have a lot of learning ahead, and maybe by the time I decide I must have the 01, it will be a lot less $ For now it's the 02 zoom and adapted lenses when my adapter gets here.

Lacro
01-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lacro Quote
As a new owner, I find this thread interesting. I really wanted the 01 lens, but when I decided to pull the trigger, only the 02 kit was available at a good price. After reading the different view points in this thread, I think I will give the zoom a fair chance, as getting the 01 lens may require buying another camera to get it
I have a lot of learning ahead, and maybe by the time I decide I must have the 01, it will be a lot less $ For now it's the 02 zoom and adapted lenses when my adapter gets here.

Lacro
Sounds like a great plan. The Q is a really fun camera, I hope you enjoy it.