Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
If you catch a BIF with the Q and adapted lens you should run out and buy a lottery ticket right away.

01-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Personally I'd spend the extra $15 and get the Pentax as it is a known quantity.
Pentax 1x Gameseeker RD10 Red Dot Sight (Matte) 89701 B&H Photo

Or if you think the hood will block, Sandy's scope looks fairly tall to clear the hood.
The Leapers has the same specs and actually has better reviews, so I thought I'd give it a go. I'm a contrarian!

As far as the hood, have you seen the Tamron? This pic is *without* the hood, which is even wider than the front element (filter size 112mm) and adds another inch or two to the diameter. I think I'll have to craft a "hood mount" for the sight...
Attached Images

01-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The Leapers has the same specs and actually has better reviews, so I thought I'd give it a go. I'm a contrarian!

As far as the hood, have you seen the Tamron? This pic is *without* the hood, which is even wider than the front element (filter size 112mm) and adds another inch or two to the diameter. I think I'll have to craft a "hood mount" for the sight...
Sounds great, good to have more options explored.
01-31-2013, 11:08 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How well is the scope holding on the mount, it looks like it is at the edges of the rail?
Yes Larry, the rail is a little short for the Bushnell scope. Only about half of each of the two clamps are gripping it, but it's rock solid.

02-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a feeling the hood is going to get in the way of the sight if I mount it on the hot shoe.
Somewhere in one of these threads is a photo of a rig with a Nikon 500/4, as I recall, and the sight clears the hood (I asked).
02-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, well that's why I'm wondering about birds flying where I probably have no chance to even look at the Q screen and would be relying on the sight, but such a bird will probably be 100 yards away or more so if parallax is small I guess it will be ok.
I think parallax will be much less of an issue than the difficulty of smooth tracking with a tiny angle of view. I wish you luck!
02-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I think parallax will be much less of an issue than the difficulty of smooth tracking with a tiny angle of view. I wish you luck!
I think the biggest problem will be trying to manually focus without looking at the LCD

02-01-2013, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the biggest problem will be trying to manually focus without looking at the LCD
Good thing BIF doesn't mean "bird in focus" then, isn't it?
02-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Got the Leapers/UTG sight and the xtend-a-sight. The upper (small) rail on the xtend-a-sight clashes with the bumps of the mounting screws on the sight -- needs to be 5mm shorter. Phil at photosolve has taken note for future, and he's also hacked the small rail down for me on a replacement and is sending it, so I have to wait a few more days...
04-02-2013, 04:27 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I'm having trouble mounting my Gamo Quick Shot 30mm Red Dot. The clamps on the Red dot compared to the Xtend-a-sight is too narrow to grip the wide part. Also the mount on the Gamo is too shallow to allow for the wide rail to be used as the small rail on the Xtend-a-sight blocks it.

Using the small rail on the Xtend-a-Sight isn't a good fit either as firstly the spacing between the clamps is too long, only allowing half of the length of the clamps to grip the small rail but it works at least.
Second is the big problem, when you tighten the screws with the sight mounted on the small rail the sight begins to tilt heavily to the right. And I hoped to have a nice sight by now!

04-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That red dot looks designed for a different type of rail. You can try sending an email with the photos to Phil at photo solve and see if be has any suggestions.
04-02-2013, 05:26 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Oh, I just realized something. On the packaging it's this version of the sight: Gamo Precision Airguns - Air rifles, Pistols, Pellets, CO2 :: Gamo
But my sight looks like this: Gamo Multi Dot BZ-30

Was it the wrong one in the box then? This is what you get for shopping at a store that's going out of business.
04-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I'll forward the mail conversion with Phil:
QuoteQuote:
Hi Andreas,
Thanks for the pictures...

The sight you purchased is non-standard (from a Weaver mount standpoint). The curve of the bottom of the mount area appears cut to fit the top of a barrel of a gun...so, very specific in terms of mounting. Not all is lost, however, and it's my belief (you'll have to test this theory) that it will work for you, so long as you're not upset or embarrassed by the off-kilter look of it. You should still be able to collimate (adjust) the red dot to be in alignment with your lens, although you may have to play with the adjustments a bit. So, as I said, it should work for you despite the odd tilt.

Best,
Phil
QuoteQuote:
Ah! You are a very cleaver man!
I was trying to look for of the mount for it but that explain why I didn't find any pics of the mounts itself. Not even GAMO have this version on their website so I was confused. It was chaos in the store so the probability that it was in the wrong box is extremely high.

I managed to get it to fit snugly enough and the adjustment of the sight was just enough to be perfectly aligned. The only issue is that the sight is slightly off center so you loose and gain a bit on the sides. Feel free to use my pics if you want to as a guide, production of an adapter or whatever use you can find for them.

Thanks for the feedback!

Kind regards
Andreas
So, it works with a quirky tilt.

Now on to another issue, in how bright lighting can you see the dot? I can't see mine at all out in daylight, not against trees nor birds, so I don't know if the battery is low or something.
04-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you catch a BIF with the Q and adapted lens you should run out and buy a lottery ticket right away.
I did get a lotto ticket but as the BIF was kind of poor so am I after loosing. SMC-M 135 f3.5 Pentax K 2 Q adapter, I could see he was going to take off but coming right at me it was hard to focus and keep the Pelican in frame. I got some great shots with my Kr and the 55-300 see some on my Flickr page

Hans
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
04-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I'll forward the mail conversion with Phil:

So, it works with a quirky tilt.

Now on to another issue, in how bright lighting can you see the dot? I can't see mine at all out in daylight, not against trees nor birds, so I don't know if the battery is low or something.
Does it have adjustable brightness? My Tasco and Pentax do and on 9-11 it is easy to see against bright sky. Try a new battery. Bet that solves the problem.

Bummer about the tilt. If it bugged me enough I would consider glueing it to x tenda site directly. Or maybe getting the proper plate your reddot fits and glue or screw that to the x tenda site.
thanks
barondla