Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yep, it's already on 11. Note that this battery was already in the red dot when I bought it and if the sight was even in the wrong box, who knows how long the battery had been drained?

The tilt works without any extreme issue. The only sight issues is the short distance from the dot to the edge and the fact that it's almost adjusted too the end of the range.

04-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I did get a lotto ticket but as the BIF was kind of poor so am I after loosing. SMC-M 135 f3.5 Pentax K 2 Q adapter, I could see he was going to take off but coming right at me it was hard to focus and keep the Pelican in frame. I got some great shots with my Kr and the 55-300 see some on my Flickr page

Hans
Awesome shot Hans! If none can do it you can.
04-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Yep, it's already on 11. Note that this battery was already in the red dot when I bought it and if the sight was even in the wrong box, who knows how long the battery had been drained?

The tilt works without any extreme issue. The only sight issues is the short distance from the dot to the edge and the fact that it's almost adjusted too the end of the range.
Yes try a new battery.

When calibrating the scope use an object at a good distance that you will be shooting more often. If you use a closer object the parallax will make you place the dot too low.
It is better to set it for distance and just target below the dot on nearer objects.
03-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Will this rail mount work with the Pentax RD10 scope on the Q?
Firefield Weaver Camera Adapter FF19003 B&H Photo Video

And is the RDmini scope worth the extra $$ or is the RD10 the same for less?

03-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have not tested the firefield mount but the nice thing is BHphoto has a good return policy if you have problems with it.
The xtendasight mount works and the owner provides excellent service.
Without a close inspection my only comment is it seems the Firefield may provide slightly less clearance over a large hood.
Since the Q is so tiny we are already just borderline clearing some lens hoods.

The compact red dot came out after I got mine, I don't know if folks have tried it.
Again if it is not as tall clearance may be an issue but the smaller size would be welcome otherwise.
As far as I know the only difference is the size.
03-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I have not tested the firefield mount but the nice thing is BHphoto has a good return policy if you have problems with it.
The xtendasight mount works and the owner provides excellent service.
Without a close inspection my only comment is it seems the Firefield may provide slightly less clearance over a large hood.
Since the Q is so tiny we are already just borderline clearing some lens hoods.

The compact red dot came out after I got mine, I don't know if folks have tried it.
Again if it is not as tall clearance may be an issue but the smaller size would be welcome otherwise.
As far as I know the only difference is the size.
Thanks for the info. The clearance was the only thing I wasn't sure of for the mount. I think I'll give it a try and just go for the rd10. I'll report back if the rail is compatable or not
03-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #52
Site Supporter

I don't know if the mount will work. Please post a pic of it with the red dot mounted on camera. Have never seen one.

The Pentax Mini red dot works fine. I did a review of it in this forum. Search should find it. You will love using the red dot. It makes aiming so easy. The RD10 will definetly increase your "keeper" ratio.
thanks
barondla
07-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kendigitize Quote
Thanks for the info. The clearance was the only thing I wasn't sure of for the mount. I think I'll give it a try and just go for the rd10. I'll report back if the rail is compatable or not
Did you try the Firefield mount? How did it work/

07-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Did you try the Firefield mount? How did it work/
Did not get the scope or mount yet. But since I just picked up a 300mm Auto Sears lens and a 2x Pentax teleconverter, I'm going to need one.
10-09-2014, 05:29 AM   #55

From what I've read the RD10 has now been discontinued, sadly. That said, the Evilbay is awash with options for similar stuff, though of lesser quality unless you go for decent branded kit that's rated by the hunting folks who need something more robust than a plastic, made in China throw away $25 bit of tat. Silly that US sellers are prevented from exporting such items when the countries they might want to ship them to - like the UK or Canada for instance - already have lots of these these things openly and legitimately on sale in hunting, farm and outdoor shops. So if anyone wants a red dot sight for their Q it should not be a problem.
10-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #56

I also just noticed that the Xtend-a-Sight mount has also been discontinued

Time to figure out some alternative solutions methinks. I'm erring towards fixing a red-dot scope to the right hand side of the camera on a base plate that I stack mount under the QtoK adaptor on the tripod head. It would be relatively easy to machine up a flat plate and bolt a weaver rail on top to mount the scope to. In some ways I actually prefer this notion, as mounting a scope to the hotshoe of a Q places quite a bit of strain on a tiny camera body, and there's quite a big lever action produced by the Xtend-a-Sight. And the centreline offset needn't be any greater.
10-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax released a smaller version of the RD10, Pentax 1x20 Gameseeker Mini Red Dot Sight 89704 B&H Photo Video

Functionality seems it could be addresed by other less expensive units.

There are at least one other weaver mount to hotshoe manufactured that I have seen but here is another idea Red dot sight for bird photography
10-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #58

Thanks for the interesting links! According to this, the new smaller Pentax sight has been discontinued also:
Pentax Gameseeker RD Mini Waterproof Dot Sight . Pentax Red Dot Sights.

I'm wondering if Ricoh have decided to cease production of rifle scopes as many of the models are being sold with deep discounts at the moment. Good opportunity for anyone into that sort of thing.