Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Very nice - thanks for the tutorial!

Also, thanks for the image which actually shows the red dot in the sight. All this time I was trying to image how this sight would work and now I can see how it works.
Sure thing, Stan. The dot looks brighter to the eye, the camera seems to dim it in the picture.

01-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, actually seeing how it looks and works is wonderful!
01-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great demo crewl1. This will help people get up and rolling. One thing to add. The red dot looks from a slightly different view than the camera. It is best to try and sight it in on an object, that is about the same distance you will be shooting from. When you switch to shooting "macro" subjects like butterflies, you will have to aim under the dot. Not hard to get used to.

Feel bad that so few Pentaxians are able get the Pentax RD10. Haven't found Pentax scopes in any other country, except the US. Can it be they only make them to sell in the US? Hard to believe. Can't wait to see what the OZ Pentax answer is.

Adding a red dot sight to a spotting scope, I would buy Weaver rails and attach them to a bracket ( rails have holes for mounting), or figure out a way to attach directly to the scope. Biggest advantage I see for hotshoe, is moving between scope and camera.
thanks
barondla
enjoy the Q.
01-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Great demo crewl1. This will help people get up and rolling. One thing to add. The red dot looks from a slightly different view than the camera. It is best to try and sight it in on an object, that is about the same distance you will be shooting from. When you switch to shooting "macro" subjects like butterflies, you will have to aim under the dot. Not hard to get used to.

Feel bad that so few Pentaxians are able get the Pentax RD10. Haven't found Pentax scopes in any other country, except the US. Can it be they only make them to sell in the US? Hard to believe. Can't wait to see what the OZ Pentax answer is.

Adding a red dot sight to a spotting scope, I would buy Weaver rails and attach them to a bracket ( rails have holes for mounting), or figure out a way to attach directly to the scope. Biggest advantage I see for hotshoe, is moving between scope and camera.
thanks
barondla
enjoy the Q.
Various red dot sights are available in Australia. Try Horsley Park Gun Shop or one of the many internet suppliers (PM me and I can point you in the right direction). Brand name should not matter. They all attach the same way. The key piece is the hot shoe to Picatinny rail or Weaver rail adapter (both rails are the same width and should work for this application). Unless the Q has massive recoil (resulting in a blood gushing "Pentax eyebrow") it should stay in alignment once you have aligned it.

01-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Thanks Barondla. Good point about the change in dot position at different distances, thanks for clarifying.
01-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #21
Forum Member

Thanks for starting this thread. This together with postings from Phil of Photosolve have finally pushed me to order the Extender Sight. I'll drop the hint for the red dot for my birthday in a couple of weeks.
01-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the record, my Xtend-a-Sight arrived today, and with a couple of little adjustments (no shims required) the dot is spot on.

Here she is taken with the K-01 and DA40.

01-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #23
Pentaxian

So just received my Q, waiting on the K adapter and wondering whether to get a red dot sight. If I understand correctly, there is parallax, right, so the sight can only be really calibrated for a specific distance, or if we are only talking far off stuff does it not really matter? (I'm thinking like tracking bird in flight.)
01-31-2013, 10:27 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have set mine for about 40 metres. For different distances I intend to aim off a bit, like I sometimes have to do in archery.
01-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
For the record, my Xtend-a-Sight arrived today, and with a couple of little adjustments (no shims required) the dot is spot on.

Here she is taken with the K-01 and DA40.

Looks great Sandy. How well is the scope holding on the mount, it looks like it is at the edges of the rail?
01-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The difference in parallax is small. Especially when used on the Q. Q has no mirror hump, so reddot is closer to lens. With the reddot adjusted for distane shots ( say 300 ft) and used about 10 feet away, You just look about 4 led dots lower in sight. For birds inflight on a DSLR, It will be close enough that the multispot wide field AF would still focus on bird.

Get a reddot. It makes things so much easier. You won't give it up once you have used one.
thanks
barondla
Have fun with your Q.
01-31-2013, 10:39 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Want to try it with the huge Tamron 400/4 adaptall -- I have a feeling the hood is going to get in the way of the sight if I mount it on the hot shoe. I'm thinking of getting the Leapers sight -- anybody tried it?

Amazon.com: Leapers Golden Image 30mm Red/Green Dot Sight, Integral Weaver Mount: Sports & Outdoors
01-31-2013, 10:40 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
So just received my Q, waiting on the K adapter and wondering whether to get a red dot sight. If I understand correctly, there is parallax, right, so the sight can only be really calibrated for a specific distance, or if we are only talking far off stuff does it not really matter? (I'm thinking like tracking bird in flight.)
Hi Von, if you calibrate at the distance you expect to be shooting most you will not be too far off from center one way or the other if you find a target closer or further away.

With the Q the main use is to help acquire a target since the resulting field of view through a long lens is really small and it is hard to find an object without help. If you are not dead center at least the target is in view in the LCD and you can adjust your composition.

The farther away the object is the difference will be less.
01-31-2013, 10:43 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Hi Von, if you calibrate at the distance you expect to be shooting most you will not be too far off from center one way or the other if you find a target closer or further away.

With the Q the main use is to help acquire a target since the resulting field of view through a long lens is really small and it is hard to find an object without help. If you are not dead center at least the target is in view in the LCD and you can adjust your composition.

The farther away the object is the difference will be less.
Yeah, well that's why I'm wondering about birds flying where I probably have no chance to even look at the Q screen and would be relying on the sight, but such a bird will probably be 100 yards away or more so if parallax is small I guess it will be ok.
01-31-2013, 10:47 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Want to try it with the huge Tamron 400/4 adaptall -- I have a feeling the hood is going to get in the way of the sight if I mount it on the hot shoe. I'm thinking of getting the Leapers sight -- anybody tried it?

Amazon.com: Leapers Golden Image 30mm Red/Green Dot Sight, Integral Weaver Mount: Sports & Outdoors
Personally I'd spend the extra $15 and get the Pentax as it is a known quantity.
Pentax 1x Gameseeker RD10 Red Dot Sight (Matte) 89701 B&H Photo

Or if you think the hood will block, Sandy's scope looks fairly tall to clear the hood.