Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2013, 11:53 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to set up a Pentax Red Dot sight for the Q

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

This quick start guide shows how I set up a red dot sight to help with acquiring distant targets when shooting with the Pentax Q and adapted telephoto lenses.

In this case the specific items I used are the Pentax RD10 red dot sight along with a Photosolve Xtend-a-Sight gun rail to hot shoe mount.

Links
Pentax 1x Gameseeker RD10 Red Dot Sight (Matte) 89701 B&H Photo
Photosolve Home > Products > Xtend-a-Sight

1.) Install the battery on the RD10, it goes in the top of the large knob with the numbers. Use a coin to take the cap off, install the battery and replace the cap.
Test the RD10 by turning the knob away from 0, and see if a red dot appears when you look through the knob end of the unit.
Remember to always turn off the unit by setting the knob back to 0 to save battery power.

2.) Attach the Xtend-a-Sight rail to the RD10, making sure the rail clamps are set so the long tooth grabs the RD10 and the short tooth grabs the wide part of the rail.
Make sure it is oriented properly with the Large knob over the hot shoe mount.

3.) Install the RD10 on the Q with your long lens on a tripod, and lock the rail to the hot shoe by turning the wheel.

4.) Turn on the Q and Aim the rig at an item at a typical distance you will be shooting, such as a mailbox or sign down the street, so that the item is in the center of the frame. Lock the tripod head

5.) turn on the RD10 and peer through it to see where the red dot appears in relation to your target.
You want the red dot to be in the same spot as the item that is in the center of the Q frame.

If it isn't, you can adjust the position of the dot by taking the small black caps off the RD10.
These cover the adjustment pots, by turning the top one you can change the up/down position of the dot, and the side one changes the left right position of the dot.

6.) Test your alignment now by using the RD10 to find a new object and confirm that it shows in the middle of the Q screen.

By using the RD10 you will cut down the amount of time needed to find your target, which can be especially difficult in cases with no landmarks - for example in trying to find a bird in the middle of a tree.

Enjoy!

Last edited by crewl1; 01-17-2013 at 01:23 PM.
01-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for that. Very useful.

I am looking at buying one but am having trouble finding it in Australia. I could try buying from the USA but if it is a laser, it will probably be confiscated by Customs.

So, my question for which I can't find an answer on the 'net is, does this emit a laser beam?
01-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It does not emit a laser beam, the dot is projected on the front lens internally. We don't want to have to be cloning out red dots from our images

The bigger problem you will have is the restriction on export of gun sights in general which are classified along with night vision goggles as weapons of war.

In Australia you may have to just find another brand that sells locally.
01-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
This quick start guide shows how I set up a red dot sight to help with acquiring distant targets when shooting with the Pentax Q and adapted telephoto lenses.

Enjoy!
Hmmm. I wonder how I could attach one to my Pentax PF-80ED-A spotting scope. Since the eyepiece is at a 45 degree angle to the scope body, it can be more challenging to get the scope on a bird than the straight-bodied scope.

01-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Hmmm. I wonder how I could attach one to my Pentax PF-80ED-A spotting scope. Since the eyepiece is at a 45 degree angle to the scope body, it can be more challenging to get the scope on a bird than the straight-bodied scope.
Duct tape? JK - maybe you can use a flash bracket to mount onto the tripod and use the combo above on that?
3 Position Folding Flash Bracket M3749 | eBay
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/131401-REG/General_Brand_Right_Angle_Bracket_with.html
01-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought my red dot scope at a Walmart in the sporting goods section. Not all that uncommon... I had a hot shoe rail I added to it... cannot remember who made it.
01-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It does not emit a laser beam, the dot is projected on the front lens internally. We don't want to have to be cloning out red dots from our images
Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

The bigger problem you will have is the restriction on export of gun sights in general which are classified along with night vision goggles as weapons of war.
I wondered why retailers wouldn't ship to those war-lovin' Canadians.

I guess I'll have travel into the city to find a gun store. I don't know of any around here.

01-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Thanks for that. Very useful.

I am looking at buying one but am having trouble finding it in Australia. I could try buying from the USA but if it is a laser, it will probably be confiscated by Customs.

So, my question for which I can't find an answer on the 'net is, does this emit a laser beam?

In total agreement with what is being said here, I do have such an "import" problem here in Canada when trying (very hard) to buy one from the US.
At all (US) stores selling the RD10, it mentions "This item cannot be shipped to Canada" [because we feel that you Canadians are too dangerous] Pun intended.

JP
01-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Looks like the Photosolve folks have a solution for you called the C mount bracket
Home > Products > Brackets and Flash Accessories
01-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Here in Sweden we get way fewer guns than in America and way more pacifists so I guess the market for gun sights is pretty small. At least we got paintball so I actually can get a sight!
01-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Very nice - thanks for the tutorial!

Also, thanks for the image which actually shows the red dot in the sight. All this time I was trying to image how this sight would work and now I can see how it works.
01-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Here in Sweden we get way fewer guns than in America and way more pacifists so I guess the market for gun sights is pretty small. At least we got paintball so I actually can get a sight!
You guys probably get all your anger out with the paintball fights!
01-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You guys probably get all your anger out with the paintball fights!
SM FALKÖPING PRO. 2010 - YouTube
Probably, I have never done it but I got a couple paintball crazy friends. I know that one of them even participated in the building of a pick-up mounted railgun for paintball games and some use some kind of heat seeking equipment to find the opposing team. Way overkill...
01-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

G'day p38arover. LASER or not, buying these sights from outside Australia is not allowed.
I have a red dot sight coming from Bushnell Australia's website, and an Xtend-a-Sight from Photosolve. I'll let you know how it goes.
I hope the DA*60-250 is going well for you :-)
01-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks Sandy. I have asked Pentax Australia if they had considered bringing them in for us Q owners. I'll see if i get a reply. I'm looking forward to hearing of your view on the Bushnell when fitted.

Re the 60-250, I was disappointed at first - until I realised the images were being degraded by Picasa. When viewed in Lightroom 4.3 and the Pentax Digital Camera Utility, they are sharp. In Picasa, they are quite soft. I am in the process of replacing some images I've posted on the forum with images exported from LR.