QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
My makeshift eQtorial Qnfiguration:
Cool! Look forward to the pics.
01-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My makeshift eQtorial Qnfiguration:

Tonight I'm going to try video capture and see if I can get better images for stacking that way. Oops, just noticed I need to put the TCs back on.
The video project is a great idea... hadn't thought of that
01-22-2013, 06:02 PM - 3 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no experience in astrophotography (probably obvious), but I am amazed that the Q could accomplish this. This is Jupiter with what I think are 4 of its moons. Q with Tokina 800mm f/8 manual lens.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
01-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wcr13 Quote
I have no experience in astrophotography (probably obvious), but I am amazed that the Q could accomplish this. This is Jupiter with what I think are 4 of its moons. Q with Tokina 800mm f/8 manual lens.
Well, now you do have experience in astrophotography. Well done! Does indeed look like Jupiter; the moons always stay pretty much in line so that must be a star off to the right. (When was this taken?)

At f/8 you should be able to get a good exposure at ISO 800, 1/80 second; the moons will be dim, but you should get detail on Jupiter. Is there a mirror lens in my future???
01-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Nice work. The more you shoot the better you get. That is Jupiter. There are 4 moons but like you, every pic i've taken only shows 3
01-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
The video project is a great idea... hadn't thought of that
Not my idea; some of the most stunning amateur planetary imaging I've seen is stacked images from CCD video capture. Anyway, the main thing I got from this evening's session was a reminder of the importance of "seeing", i.e. atmospheric stability or the lack thereof. I had clear dark skies and little wind, and it had been a cold day (for here), and Jupiter is almost straight overhead (least atmosphere in the way), and yet the heat shimmer has a huge effect in the video I shot. That plus I'm at a bit of a loss as to stacking software that handles video and/or untracked objects easily, and I'm not sure where I'll go with this. Here's a still cropped from some video:

Sunrise at the Gassendi crater
Still cropped from video (Pentax Q, 1080p, ISO 800, 1/160)
DA* 300 on 2x and 1.4x TCs, down a stop (combined for f/16)

So next time I want to try this, it'll have to be in the dark of the morning.

01-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Nice work. The more you shoot the better you get. That is Jupiter. There are 4 moons but like you, every pic i've taken only shows 3
Baro-nite and Ivoirie, Thank you for the kind words and for the information on Jupiter's moons. I took the picture last night, when Jupiter was close to the moon (I would not otherwise have been able to locate/identify it).

Thank you for the tips on exposure settings. I went out to try them tonight, but it is slightly cloudy and I will have to try again when the sky is clearer.

The Tokina is not a mirror lens, it is a t-mount, preset lens. An impulse eBay purchase that has been sitting around waiting for the Q to make it useful. lol
01-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would not otherwise have been able to locate/identify it
I've noticed this sort of comment a few times in this thread, I suggest installing Stellarium, it's freeware and there are versions for most operating systems.
01-22-2013, 08:12 PM - 3 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

Made a video with Pentax Q + Kenko 1.5x PzAF + DA* 300mm F4:
01-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
I've noticed this sort of comment a few times in this thread, I suggest installing Stellarium, it's freeware and there are versions for most operating systems.
That's a good program. If you have an i-phone, android or windows phone, i-pad or android tablet there are apps that will use your current position and point you to the celestial body/star of your choice.
01-22-2013, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #42

Moon and Jupiter

This will be a nice new threat, the Q is a very useful tool indeed.
Shot yesterday, with the Q and the Sigma 150-500 ... I totally forgot to use the aperture ring on the Fotodiox Adapter, so i think it was pretty near to fully closed (in my excuse... it was 1:30 am when I finally went out to look at the sky )
Here is one of my results:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51467365@N00/8405745874/in/photostream/
Attached Images

01-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Tokina is not a mirror lens, it is a t-mount, preset lens. An impulse eBay purchase that has been sitting around waiting for the Q to make it useful. lol
Holy mother of a massive lens! I look forward to your next attempts.

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
A good recommendation -- I haven't used it in several years, but remember it as impressive even then. Nowadays I'm using SkyWatcher on iOS, just stunning.

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Made a video with Pentax Q + Kenko 1.5x PzAF + DA* 300mm F4:
Nicely done, and also answers a question I had after also shooting some Moon video: is rolling shutter a factor, or is it all atmospheric shimmer? Given that you have a similar amount of shimmer to what I got but are shooting at half the magnification (hence half the apparent motion) I'd say it's all atmosphere.

QuoteOriginally posted by mgbirder Quote
Shot yesterday, with the Q and the Sigma 150-500
Looks great!
01-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mgbirder Quote
This will be a nice new threat, the Q is a very useful tool indeed.
Shot yesterday, with the Q and the Sigma 150-500 ... I totally forgot to use the aperture ring on the Fotodiox Adapter, so i think it was pretty near to fully closed (in my excuse... it was 1:30 am when I finally went out to look at the sky )
Here is one of my results:
Moon and Jupiter Conjuction - 21.01.2013 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Nice, you also got the colors in there! I haven't had the chance to capture Jupiter like this due to the turbulence and haze high up in the sky, as you can see in my movie.
Nicely done, and also answers a question I had after also shooting some Moon video: is rolling shutter a factor, or is it all atmospheric shimmer? Given that you have a similar amount of shimmer to what I got but are shooting at half the magnification (hence half the apparent motion) I'd say it's all atmosphere.
Yeah, this is at least mainly turbulence, without a doubt.
01-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #45
Forum Member

Very good first shot. Decrease the exposure and fine tune the focus and you should be able to see cloud bands on jupiter.