Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photodiox adapter mounting questions

Got the adapter today...........want to attach my Tamron 90mm lens. I line up the dots but it doesn't lock into position. I dont want to force it.

I can't find any instructions how to set this up.

Ring is in open position and as you can see in the photo the lens only turns this far without forcing.

Any instructions how to make this work?

Once I do get it to work do I adjust adjust the aperature on the lens?

Last edited by UncleRed; 04-02-2013 at 10:33 AM.
01-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you set the ring on the adapter to closed ("lock"), you can use the aperture ring on the lens. I would recommend that. This is also the no-action position of the ring, if the tab controlled by the ring is what's stopping you from mounting the lens, it will mount futher in the lock position.

But it's probably something else. Either part of the mount itself that's faulty, or you're too careful. (Not that you should need much force, but it's easy to think you're using the same amount as on your K mount camera when you're actually using less because the adapter isn't much to hold on to.)
01-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
The first time I used mine it seemed like an awful lot of force to get it on. Don't be too afraid. It does get easier as you use it.
01-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's no 'click' when it's fully engaged on mine, and it can be concerning.
I would try a lens of lesser value to get the feel, and to see if it is indeed faulty.

01-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleRed Quote
Once I do get it to work do I adjust adjust the aperature on the lens?
There are two ways of doing it. It's explained here:
Using the K-Mount Adapter for Pentax Q - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
There's no 'click' when it's fully engaged on mine, and it can be concerning.
I would try a lens of lesser value to get the feel, and to see if it is indeed faulty.
I put the DA 18-55 on, it went on fine but getting it off is very difficult. I thought it might have been stuck on for good. I will keep playing using that lens before I try any others.

Thanks all for the quick responses
01-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

One other thing to try - try tightening the screws that hold the mount ring on the adapter.

Mine is very tight also, and like you don't want to force anything.
01-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

When I first got my Fotodiox it was very tight on the lens and took some force to get it all the way on. Over time it became easier and eventually would go on and off easily with the click working as intended.
Try with different lenses till you find one that goes in and work it a few times, then keep going to the next easiest lens until you work up to the Tamron.
This assumes there is nothing wrong with the adapter other than tolerance issues on the machining of the mount.

01-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Just wait until you attach a WR lens - now that is tight!
01-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Just wait until you attach a WR lens - now that is tight!
I could attach DA*300, DFA100WR and 18-135WR with no issues once I broke in the adapter.
01-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I could attach DA*300, DFA100WR and 18-135WR with no issues once I broke in the adapter.
Guess I need to use mine more - come on Spring!!