Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 07:17 AM - 4 Likes   #1

What a Great Backpacking Camera

I picked up a Q as a second camera for the specific purpose of backpacking with it. Small, light, durable, inexpensive -- seemed perfect. I had a chance to test my premise this past weekend on a trip to Big Bend.

The Q certainly lived up to my expectations. The 02 zoom was a versatile companion and the raw files it generated have proven surprisingly flexible in post-processing. I never felt the weight of the camera around my neck (although I definitely needed my backup Wasabi Power batteries).

I was concerned about how the Q might handle cold temps (35 at night) and dust, since it's not weather sealed, but neither seemed to faze it. When I went to clean the camera after the trip, there were only a couple of specks to be found on the camera and lens.

In all, I continue to believe that the Q is a little gem. It's an excellent backpacking companion, delivering better IQ than any "rugged camera" at a lower cost. The magnesium build and smart Pentax engineering render it tough enough for multiple days in the back country. (I did not use it in the rain, where I would be a heck of a lot more cautious.)

Bravo, Pentax.

Attached Images

01-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great shot

I'm tempted to get a Q after the k-5IIs to make it my backup camera. It's perfect for situations where I can't pull out the big cam (i.e. someone aware of me). It seems it would do well for most other situations too, per your experience.
01-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PenTX Quote
I picked up a Q as a second camera for the specific purpose of backpacking with it. Small, light, durable, inexpensive -- seemed perfect. I had a chance to test my premise this past weekend on a trip to Big Bend.

The Q certainly lived up to my expectations. The 02 zoom was a versatile companion and the raw files it generated have proven surprisingly flexible in post-processing. I never felt the weight of the camera around my neck (although I definitely needed my backup Wasabi Power batteries).

I was concerned about how the Q might handle cold temps (35 at night) and dust, since it's not weather sealed, but neither seemed to faze it. When I went to clean the camera after the trip, there were only a couple of specks to be found on the camera and lens.

In all, I continue to believe that the Q is a little gem. It's an excellent backpacking companion, delivering better IQ than any "rugged camera" at a lower cost. The magnesium build and smart Pentax engineering render it tough enough for multiple days in the back country. (I did not use it in the rain, where I would be a heck of a lot more cautious.)

Bravo, Pentax.
Thanks for the report and for sharing that great picture.
As for the battery life, check into an optical viewfinder like a Tele-wide so you can turn off the LCD.
01-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ditto here. Small, light, inconspicuous and versatile.

01-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am glad you are enjoying your Q. I have been using mine as a backpacking camera and really enjoying the reduced weight versus the K-5. I shoot in raw also and have found the files to be very good and easily editable.