Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Q mount register distance

I enjoyed looking at this table comparing register distances :

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

It appears that the Q has the smaller register distance of all cameras anytime :-) Only 9.2 mm !!!
This means that, provided the image circle is big enough, it should be capable to accept any lens ! (with an optional extension ring if required)
It looks great to me an to my tiny recently bought white Q.
Wanted to share that...

01-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is even shorter than a CS cctv camera but no adapter is available yet

Hans
01-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The registration distance is the optical distance to the sensor, not how far from various plastic parts the mount is. And most lenses stick into their mounts.

I have adapted CS lenses by gluing them in a hole I made in a body cap, and I can tell you from experience that you sometimes have to remove some of the original CS mount so it won't hit the electrical contacts in the upper part of the mount. I doubt there is any proper standard for how far CS lenses go into their mount, there certainly doesn't seem to be any great care taken to get the registration distance right.
01-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
The registration distance is the optical distance to the sensor, not how far from various plastic parts the mount is. And most lenses stick into their mounts.

I have adapted CS lenses by gluing them in a hole I made in a body cap, and I can tell you from experience that you sometimes have to remove some of the original CS mount so it won't hit the electrical contacts in the upper part of the mount. I doubt there is any proper standard for how far CS lenses go into their mount, there certainly doesn't seem to be any great care taken to get the registration distance right.
I also have a CS lens that touches the electrical contacts but the camera seems to ignore it??? maybe it is insulated by the paint on the lens. I would have to machine away part of the lens for it to clear.

Hans

01-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I also have a CS lens that touches the electrical contacts but the camera seems to ignore it??? maybe it is insulated by the paint on the lens. I would have to machine away part of the lens for it to clear.
It seems fine to short the contacts in my experience. And my lens only hits the contacts because they're first, it would hit the plastic ridge they sit on if they weren't there. (I removed maybe 2mm of it, and it still shorts the contacts.)