Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-24-2013, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A trick to shoot Raw at higher fps.

Shooting wild life makes me wish for higher frames per second. I am always torn between shooting jpeg for more fps and Raw for greater quality. Found a way to shoot Raw faster on the Q. Noticed it would shoot Raw faster when auto exposure bracketing . Set exposure brackets to + - 1/3 step. Q then shoots about 3 fps. Much quicker than standard continuous shooting. Bracketing such small steps means all the shots are well exposed.

Many think the Q is slow because of a smaller image buffer and slower processing. There must be some other reason, since bracketing should take longer than three identical shots. This gives hope that a fw update may some day speed the Q up even more.
thanks
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 01-24-2013 at 10:08 PM.
01-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting. Several users of the K-01 have noticed the same thing - using bracketing can fire off 3 shots faster than normal Hi Drive. It's odd that the Q also can do this (well, it has to), considering the K-01 only has slow drive mode because they intentionally restricted it.
01-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I could've sworn that I tried this on the Q when I discovered it on the K-01 and that it didn't work. I just tried it again and it does. It's not a firmware thing because I upgraded the first thing when I opened the box new. Oh well, good to know it does. It also works with RAW+JPEG. Either way though, RAW or RAW+JPEG it takes awhile to write the buffer after the sequence and the camera won't do anything else. So good for 3 shots, but no more. Anyway, thanks for proving my original findings wrong. I don't need to switch out of RAW now for anything.
09-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #4

K-01 (just so I understand)

So if I want to use AE bracking with the K-01, it will shoot approximately 3fps? not 1fps?

Thanks very much.

09-16-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My guess is that a fast 3 frames was required for the HDR function to work properly. HDR needs a quick 3 frames to aide in auto alignment keeping camera motion to a minimum. HDR uses the bracketing function before alignment.

Hans
09-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

HDR firmware "fix"

As an owner of the K-01 and Q, now all I want is a minor firmware fix that allows for 0 compensation in HDR. That should be a easy enough. It would make more sense to simply provide something like a "rapid-fire" shooting mode, but that would be a bit too creative of a change.
09-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I would imagine that bracketing only requires the camera to make one exposure reading. Then, it simply adds or subtracts from that one reading.

Otherwise, I would guess the camera is conducting a new reading and that takes extra time.